HELP, WHY AM I SOOOOO TIRED????

Options
I workout either early mornings or late evenings for about 90-130 minutes each time either running, walking, or Zumba (sometimes a combo of 2 or all 3). I rest for 20-30 min then I shower. After the shower I am SUPER TIRED!!!! I can hardly hold my eyes open. I eat before I workout, nothing big but I need a little something or I will get a bad headache. I feel full thru the day. Not eating too much or too little. Does anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix this? Any suggestions will help, thanks!

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Have you had your iron checked? I use to sleep all the time and had to be put on iron supplements bc my iron was too low.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Can you get a blood test? They can check everything from your blood gases to your iron levels. Low iron can result in feeling tired, because low iron = low hemoglobin = less oxygen transportation throughout your body = fatigue.

This is why I take materna (vitamin). I'm not pregnant, just anemic.

Also make sure you're getting enough calories and restoring your electrolytes if you work out hard.

xo
  • renaliu
    Options
    I have been using a protein recovery powder mix that I add water to, and it helps with energy afterwards as well as soreness. My advice would be to drink it before the shower, then finish your shower with a few seconds of standing under the coolest water you can take! This helps with your immune system, too! Good luck!
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    I second the need to get your iron checked. I took iron supplements because no matter what I did I was always tired and I turned out to be anemic. Also, b-vitamins can factor into this as well. Maybe also try taking a multi-vitamin. Of course, the best thing to do is to go to your doctor where they can do blood tests to make sure this isn't a serious health problem.
  • lazywriter
    Options
    If you're eating less than 1400 cals a day, that's probably why. What's your diet like?
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think the concerns about iron are valid (iron deficiency is more common in women than in men and is a form of nutrient deficiency that can easily occur in a person with healthy diet). I would also take seriously the post-workout recovery advice. If not a recovery beverage perhaps something small like a banana or cup of granola before the shower. You may be plenty primed (energy wise) before the workout, but given the length of your workouts, it's very reasonable that your body is needing additional sustenance post-workout that its not getting.
  • morgaj8
    morgaj8 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate ALL the comments. I will take all in to consideration & get everything checked so that I can figure out what's wrong.
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have somewhat permanent fatigue because I'm low on iron. Just go in to your doctor and let him know you are feeling fatigue and he'll probably send you for the blood work checking your iron levels. As long as your heme level iron is pretty good it's not too big of a deal (there's enough oxygen).

Be warned the iron supplements, if you have to take them, can upset your GI tract and/or cause constipation (in my experience) :/.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Anemia can make you tired. Diabetes can too. Get checked for both.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I workout either early mornings or late evenings for about 90-130 minutes each time either running, walking, or Zumba (sometimes a combo of 2 or all 3). I rest for 20-30 min then I shower. After the shower I am SUPER TIRED!!!! I can hardly hold my eyes open. I eat before I workout, nothing big but I need a little something or I will get a bad headache. I feel full thru the day. Not eating too much or too little. Does anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix this? Any suggestions will help, thanks!
    You're going too long on cardio. An hour should be more than sufficient. You'd be better off combining strength and cardio for that same 90 minutes.
    Also, how much sleep are you getting?
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I think the concerns about iron are valid (iron deficiency is more common in women than in men and is a form of nutrient deficiency that can easily occur in a person with healthy diet). I would also take seriously the post-workout recovery advice. If not a recovery beverage perhaps something small like a banana or cup of granola before the shower. You may be plenty primed (energy wise) before the workout, but given the length of your workouts, it's very reasonable that your body is needing additional sustenance post-workout that its not getting.

Yes, you need some kind of post workout food item.. I usually have some kind of protein/carb intake after..or a protein shake..depending on what I've done and time wise...as you have a certain amount of time to eat after an intense workout...within 30-45 min...after post haste!
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would certainly get some things checked out. I would also look at what your eating too. That could be causing it.
  • cbediria
    Options
    i've noticed this too!! i go to work, then to the gym, then shower and nap. my social life is suffering a bit, hahah. my friend suggested i have more protein so i've been trying that....also, coffee. but i'm open to suggestions too, cause this kinda sucks.
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising everyday? You might be over training, I'd cut the exercise to 45 minutes a day at most and see how you feel after a week.
  • paradise666
    Options
    Also, make sure you drinking lots of water. The body will not function properly without it
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    How.many.hours.of.sleep.are.you.getting.per.night?

I can survive off of 4-5 hours of sleep a night, Sometimes I really really want to sleep longer but if I let myself it just turns out horribly. Sure, check into everything, but it may be the most obvious source that's making you feel bad.
  • morgaj8
    morgaj8 Posts: 34
    Options
    I did have my iron checked & I am very very low. I am severe anemic among other things but that is the main reason I am so tired & cold all the time... Thanks for the help everyone
  • redhotpeg
    Options
    You just need more carb during workout. Body runs out of free carb in 20-40 minutes depending on Heart Rate. If you keep doing high rep exercises or keep up your HR in your lifting scheme (like a circuit workout or something) you are essentially still running. You need food.