Food Staples?

Options
My husband and I are both trying to change our lifestyle and eat healthy, but after years of mac and cheese and pizza we simply don't know what to eat! What are some healthy staples that we should have in our kitchen? No dietary restrictions. Thanks so much!

Replies

• BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Veggies , fruit, rice , chicken, lean meats , fish, I like to have yogurt, cottage cheese for snaking.. There is so many options these are a few..

10547530.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    eggs, oats, high quality whole grain bread, natural peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil, freezer full of frozen veggies, chicken breasts, pork chops, sweet potatoes, brown rice, tuna, salmon...

see also: http://bodyforlife.com/library/food-list
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When you go to the grocery story, shop the perimeter and avoid the aisles as much as possible. The produce section is a good place to start. I always keep organic red potatoes, brown rice, whole grain bread, black beans, fresh fruits and vegis, and organic chicken around. There are lots of different things you can make with all of that.

Food will taste better if you use fresh herbs to season. Good luck with your new eating habits!
  • Franticantics
    Options
    I'm happy all the time my kitchen has:
    +raw chicken
    +Fage Total 0% yogurt
    +Steel cut oats
    +Light unsweetened soya milk
    +Eggs/egg whites
    +low fat cheese
  • acireme
    acireme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For us, smoothies are a great way to get in so many nutrients (easy to make and if you're new to food, won't turn you off of *real* food). lol
    Our smoothies are a couple handfuls of spinach, a stem or two of kale, about a cup of pulp/vit D/vit C OJ, a cup of soy milk, a banana, about a cup or cup and a half of frozen fruit--we like mixed berries or mango, and then we add a TBSP each of ground flax, chia seeds, and 3 scoops of kelp powder. Don't get scared of the seeds and powder. Starting off with just the fruits and veggies is a good idea.
    Easy meals for us are a bunch of veggies and beans in whole grain wraps.
    Salads with veggies more than tomatoes and cucumbers are easy.
    Best thing is get online and Google healthy recipes. Once you find about 10 you love, you can have each three times a month and you're set until you feel more comfortable with how you eat.
    Good luck!
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, rolled oats, brown rice, eggs, almond milk, natural peanut butter, pumpkin purée, beans and Greek yogurt
  • chchchangess
    Options
    -oats
    -lentils
    -brown rice
    -canned tomatoes
    -various canned beans
    -frozen vegetables
    -kale
    -bananas
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Here are mine . . .

Produce: Mixed salad greens. Tomatoes. Baby carrots. Snap peas. Hearty greens (kale, collards, bok choy, etc). Potatoes. Onions. Sweet peppers. Frozen veggie mixes. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. Apples. Grapes. Clementines. Garlic. Mushrooms.

Other stuff: Extra virgin olive oil (the high quality stuff). Greek yogurt. Hummus. Quality cheeses (not processed crap). Eggs (organic). Peanut butter (organic). Butter (organic). Almonds. Chickpeas and other beans. 100% whole grain bread / English muffins. Sea salt, peppercorns, and Mrs. Dash or another non-salt seasoning mix.

Treats I can't go without: Ranch dressing (I make my own). Very dark chocolate. Trail mix. Larabars / Clif bars.

I also always keep on hand some organic, minimally processed canned soups and frozen meals for when I'm in a complete rush and need something quick. I suggest Trader Joe's (if you have one near you), Kashi, Amy's . . . See if your grocery store has an organic/natural aisle and check out the soups. Just watch the sodium.
  • mushalek
    Options
    grape fruit
    greek yogurt
    KASHI go lean
    dannon light and fit
    green tea
    skinless chicken breast
    tuna
    salsa
    Red hot
    spinach