Having a down day :(

Options
Let me tell you this first, I started trying to lose weight a few months ago and have already gone from 158 to 136 pounds. I feel rather proud of myself but find it hard as I don't have great support at home.

After graduating from University, I've been looking for a job for months and months and finally started this tuesday stacking shelves at a supermarket. Not entirely where I thought I'd be but glad I have a job as its seemingly quite difficult right now. I've been trying to get to grips with things, but the job involved a lot of heavy lifting etc and all at a very quick pace and I know I'm doing things really slowly compared to others but I find it difficult and my back hurts because I'm not very strong yet. I am very glad that the management there are friendly though otherwise I'm not sure I'd be as enthusiastic.

I burned my fingerprint off today, I grabbed my straighteners when I dropped them by accident and had a big blister on my first finger. Had a guy at work accidently stand on it when i was putting stuff away on bottom shelf today, and I'm covered in cuts adn bruises from cardboard boxes and plastic packaging.

My Mum and Stepdad have been unsupportive on my weight loss journey. It's only when i have had to tell them how much I've lost that they say anything and it's a non commital well done and thats the end of that. Got asked if I wanted a kebab for dinner today as my stepdad was getting some in, I said no thanks, then got asked why not and then asked if i wanted a steak and kdiney pie or something and i said I cant eat that (I have IBS, so dairy, tomatoes and any kind of pastry is giant no no for me) and got a snide remark about him not remembering everything I couldnt eat.

I'm really fed up of today, been in pain from aches and scratched and this bloody blister, feel fat everytime I am at home, have little support and have work again in the morning (my shift starts at 7am so I'm up at half 5 every morning) and the only thing going is knowing i get to see my boyfriend tomorrow afternoon and Sunday. We lived together at university but as he cannot find work yet, we have had to both move home til we can afford to rent a place together.

I've tried so hard not to cry since I've been home, and be strong but just had a pretty rubbish day, everyone's downstairs eating tea now and I'll just have to make something later on my own. Just feel sad that I feel like I'm doing pretty well but just get the response well just keep going then, even though I'm healthy now and generally don't have a close relationship with my Mum or stepdad.

I know I'm just ranting on and I'm sorry. Thanks for reading if you managed to read it all. Just hoping working this job will help me to keep losing weight and my boyfriend will get a job soon so we can rent our own place and I know I'll feel a lot less stressed.

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Do what you are doing for you, not anyone else.
  • xinahay123
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are in a rough spot. It is hard when more than one thing is not great (or even a bit good). You are doing great with your weight loss, and don't let anyone take that from you!
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! Wishing you a better day tomorrow. As other have said, at the end of the day your motivation has to be internal or you won't succeed in the long run. Even so, I hope your family takes a turn for the better soon and gives you more support!
  • aurorasangel2000
    Options
    You'll make it :-) As long as you keep doing this for you and you're proud of your progress so far, you'll be fine. Don't lost sight of your goals!!! When it feels as though someone else doesn't believe in you or isn't necessarily supportive, use that for motivation to do even better. And there are some people who won't be motivational or supportive of you regardless; ignore their opinions. You know what you're trying to do and you're doing it for you, that's all that matters ;-) Good luck!!!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    the job will get easier. You will adjust to the work and it won't seem so difficult. It will take a few weeks, but you will get there. I'm sorry your family isn't more invested in your well being. Just remember that it is a temporary situation. You are young and have a lot of life in front of you. It's important to be healthy for it and you are going in the right direction. Is your boyfriend supportive?
  • camolas
    Options
    The Laughing Heart by Charles Bukowski

your life is your life
    don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
    be on the watch.
    there are ways out.
    there is a light somewhere.
    it may not be much light but
    it beats the darkness.
    be on the watch.
    the gods will offer you chances.
    know them.
    take them.
    you can’t beat death but
    you can beat death in life, sometimes.
    and the more often you learn to do it,
    the more light there will be.
    your life is your life.
    know it while you have it.
    you are marvelous
    the gods wait to delight
    in you.

:) Hope it helps
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    We all have down days babe but tomorrow is always a new day. Read other peoples success stories and blogs you will find that a lot of people have the similar if not much worse problems and have overcome them.

You are not alone we are all hear to support, or just listen to you. Go ahead, vent your feelings. You are allowed to be p*ssed off at times. Have a rant have, a cry, whatever it takes, get it out of your system and move on to your next goal.

You can do this just keep your chin up. :flowerforyou:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Aw babe, I'm sorry you're having a rough day. Seems like everything has hit you at once. Honestly, I think a walk/run would do wonders for you right now. Get out there and get your mind off of all the crap at work and at home.
    Just keep reminding yourself that you are doing great and you are being healthy. It's hard when people roll their eyes at your work, feels really demeaning, but I've learned most of the time they are rolling their eyes but really just envious that you are taking the steps they are afraid to.
    Internet hugs! Go get your mind off of things for a bit, you'll feel better!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You are young and just starting out. I commend you for taking a job like that instead of staying at home and waiting for a "better" one.
    Do yourself two favors;
    -Don't build up any debt you can't deal with quickly and easily. Since you are earning "below" expectations that can happen quickly.
    -Relax and keep trying to better yourself.

Good Luck.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I wish for you that you had support. You are doing the right thing for you and you just have to stay strong and continue. Seeing your boyfriend will lift your spirits and hopefully the two of you can be together soon. Good luck to you!
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone. Guess I just need a friendly comment once in a while. I am finding it quite hard having moved back a month ago with my Mum as I've lived at Uni for the last 3 years.

My boyfriend is very supportive thank god, otherwise I wouldn't know how to carry on. I guess that's why it's so much harder only being able to see him once a week. He's been so brilliant and to go from that to people who couldn't seem to give a crap, just hurts a bit.

I am still motivated to lose weight. Hoping I can get sued to the job within the next month or so, strengthen myself up then can carry on using my fitness dvds and stuff again, but for nwo I'm too shattered after work. Just need to let my body get used to it and hope things all work out. Just waiting for the day Lee gets a job so at least i can have the end goal of moving in somewhere with him sorted a bit more, can save up for a month or so then know we can move out, just hard not knowing how long it's going to take :(

Thank each and every one of you for your comments. Really helps knowing there are others trying to lose weight and even though life sometimes gets in the way and makes things hard, there are still good people who understand what you're going through.

Thank you :)
  • VICKYORTIZ
    VICKYORTIZ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You're doing so well on your weightloss! Don't let anything get in your way....keep at it. Tomorrow will be better. :)
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just read a few more posts and just truly thankful I found this site. It is exactly what I needed to hear right now. It might not seem like much but reading those has really helped me remember I'm not alone and even if people I live with aren't supportive, in times like this, people like you can really help change my thinking and I appreciate it more than you imagine :)
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Do what you are doing for you, not anyone else.

What Auticus said! :)

I hope that your boyfriend is being supportive of your weight loss, & if he is try focusing more on that! We're all here for you!
  • grandpabiker
    Options
    I can relate to your "no-support" and your "undesirable job" issues.

On the weight-loss issue I set my goal to attain a weight that would leave me with 10 per cent body-fat (you need at least 8 per cent). My reason to lose weight is for my knees (left knee missing cartilage)--not appearance. My wife (she has never gained or lost a pound in 37 years of marriage) wants me to stop losing weight now (30 pounds from my goal) because I might "look too skinny". She does not say anything derogatory but does not understand why I get upset about gaining some weight.

On the job issue I performed aircraft maintenance for the majority of my career. Over the last 9 years I have been working in a warehouse (lots of lifting, walking, etc.)--not my dream vocation. I just recently retired and waited until I retired to start my weight loss journey.

What you are going through are multiple depressing issues that all negatively feed on each other. It sounds as though your present job is a "calorie burner". If you are like me and most Americans, you are inclined to gain weight on your off-days due to less activity. I recommend making your off-days more active with strength-building exercises. I also recommend that you cook meals for your family to so they don't feel so "put out" when you turn down the fruits of their cooking labor.

Non-overweight people are generally not interested in weight-loss stories (they simple can't understand how we got heavy). We must co-exist with them, unfortunately. Hang in there--you are not alone.
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're having a such a tough time right now. I, too, graduated from my university not long ago (in May) and passed my boards as a Registered Nurse, and it took me several months to find a job, and even now, I may have my start date put off until December, so I may have to get a job in retail for the Christmas season just to make a little money and get through. It can be so frustrating when you've put in so much hard work, and spent so much money on your education, to not be gainfully employed in your field. :grumble: But have faith, things will turn around and you will find the perfect job that you have trained for...in time. I'm not a hugely religious person, but I do have some verses that I love and help me through hard times...one of those is "This too, shall pass". I love that one because it applies always. During the bad times, it helps me remember that it's not forever, just for now. And during the good times, it keeps me humble and reminds me to enjoy and appreciate the way things are now, because they will not always last.

Also- the longer I live, the more I do believe that everything happens for a reason...everything. Right now, you have done amazing to lose the weight you have, and I commend you for your dedication and efforts. Perhaps, it was time to add some strength training to your routine though, and this job will help you do just that. God has a sense of humor like that :laugh: For example, when I first moved away from home years ago into my very first apartment, within 2 weeks my car broke down. Luckily I lived about a mile and a half from where I worked (which was a warehouse job where I also had to lift heavy boxes often and stock shelves), so I walked to work and home every day. I hated it! :explode: For about 3 weeks, then I started to enjoy my "quiet time" in the morning on the way to work, and it was a great destresser from the day to walk home. I lost 40 lbs. in the first 2 1/2 months of that job, built lots of muscle, and felt fabulous...I got to a size 9 and loved my body (it turned out to be the healthiest time of my life!). So maybe this is what is in store for you...it's so hard to see the other side, life can always be understood when looking backwards, but alas, we must go through it forwards. :wink:

As for your parents...well, they are always here to give us a hard time right? I know it's hard being around them when they aren't being very supportive of you, but remember 3 things:
    1) They DO love you, whether they are supportive or not
    2) You will not be living with them forever, you & your boyfriend will get on your feet and have a place of your own soon and often parental relationships become much better when you aren't around them all the time.
    3) You have many many supportive friends in your MFP "family"!!! We are all here for you whenever you need to vent, talk, cry, or whatever. Many have walked ahead of you- so they can give you advice...lots of us are walking right beside you to keep you company and motivate you, and some are walking behind you- and can pick you up and support you when you fall.

So, I hope you feel at least a touch better after reading this, we are all so proud of you for your determination, you are doing GREAT! :drinker: Even though it's tough right now, you will get through it, you'll be a thinner, fitter, stronger, and happier you. And NO ONE will ever be able to take that away from you! Best of luck on your journey, I for one, will be walking right there beside you. I hope are able to read this and know that we all care about you and hope that you can go forward and have a beautiful day today :flowerforyou:

~Erin
  • JizWiz
    Options
    I find that venting here makes a lot of people feell a lot better! You have done an awesome job and believe it or not you are an inspiration to many on MFP.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having a down day. Let's look at what you have earned for yourself and your future. You have a University Degree, you have lost your weight with little or no support and you have shown you have drive and determination by taking any job you can find despite having your University Degree. You are made out of the stuff it takes to make it in life. Not everyone can say that. You will do well for yourself and you are what matters. Keep it up and ignore the parents. They may have their own issues.
  • Tracyrocksss
    Options
    I am so sorry that your family isn'tbeing supportive for you....I just wanted to give you a little cheer up/pat on the back and tell you that you hve ALREADY done something so AMAZING, girl...YOU, maam, have a small amount of weight to lose. You have not let it get out of control to the point where it can seem like a giant mountain to climb ( i am speaking about myself and about 90 to lose here...) I am impressed with YOU already that you have what it takes to recognize the problem and follow through in spite of little support from home....That speaks volumes abou tyour character and resolve. I know that "wishing" really gets us nowhere, but I sooooo wish I would have loved myself enough to have done the right thing by my body and gotten it under control much earlier......You are already THERE and just have to get a few more pounds under control, girl. You CAN do this!his is the place to come for your support. You have everything you need---your own obvious determination and the love and support of people rigth here. COntinued success to you.....and (((hugs))) about your injuries... That SURE makes a day more dificult, with or without trying to lose weight....But , I keep telling myself that just because it is difficult doesn't mean I can't do it, huh!??xoxoxo