What works for me

Options
Despite staying at 1200 calories per day consumption, drinking 8 glasses of water per day, and exercising more, I didn't lose even an ounce over a 10 day period. So a couple of days ago I decided to stop eating around 200 of the exercise calories I was burning each day and that did it for me. I lost almost a pound after 3 days of doing this. I'm not saying that this will work for everyone but it worked for me. Perhaps I wasn't burning 1200 calories per day or I was underestimating the number of calories I was consuming. I was so concerned about my body going into the so-called "starvation mode" that I was trying to make sure that I stayed at the 1200 calories per day and making sure I ate all my exercise calories. Even when I wasn't hungry! At any rate I think I may have found the formula for me. Time will tell.

Replies

• Christinen818
    Options
    Great news keep it up!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Having an accurate calorie count is essential. I just got a heart rate monitor and it showed me that I was underestimating the amount of calories I was burning during exercise! by about half. So we will see if adding those extra cals to my food intake will be good or not.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Unless you've been using a heart rate monitor, there is a good chance MFP was overestimating your burn from exercise. They have to use averages and that means the answers will not be precise. I usually try to leave a few calories on the table any day I feel like my workout was below average. For example, I get six hundred and something calories for every hour of kickboxing, but I know I burn way more calories on some days than I do on others. I work out with a woman who was having the same problem as you, and when she broke down and got a HRM, she found out that she was burning 500-800 calories during kickboxing, not the 1100 or so MFP was giving her for it.....that's just about enough difference to keep you at maintenance instead of losing.
  • karoumee
    karoumee Posts: 100
    Options
    i had been using mfp for abt a month and wasnt losing at all despite eating 1200cal..so i decided to stop eating the exercise cal and startesd losing at once..

si i guess its different for everyone..
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    Congratulations on your success and persistence. I am very glad that you shared your experience here. I have noticed what seems like an excessive and inappropriate concern about "starvation" mode among people who post on this site. (Clinical studies have shown that a sustained/prolonged deficit of 500-1000+ per day is required to reduce someone's metabolic rate, aka "starvation mode") This misunderstanding and excessive concern has led people to advise new dieters to "eat more" time and time again. Generally very bad advice.
  • nixy2k
    nixy2k Posts: 8
    Options
    I've stopped tracking my exercise and just track the calories. This way I know I'm not over estimating my calories burned.
  • azzledazzle
    Options
    i dont eat my exercise calories.. MFP says i have 2290 a day to eat.

I will eat about 1500 - 2000... But if i burn 1000 in the gym.. i dont eat any extra i just leave it

Ive been eating every 2 - 3 hours, whether it be fruit or a meal, so my stomach is always satisfied and i dont crave for MAHOOOSIVE portions anymore.
  • 1grammie
    1grammie Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm having a similar experience of staying on my calories and exercising at least 30min a day with weight gain instead of loss. Kind of getting discouraged.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success and persistence. I am very glad that you shared your experience here. I have noticed what seems like an excessive and inappropriate concern about "starvation" mode among people who post on this site. (Clinical studies have shown that a sustained/prolonged deficit of 500-1000+ per day is required to reduce someone's metabolic rate, aka "starvation mode") This misunderstanding and excessive concern has led people to advise new dieters to "eat more" time and time again. Generally very bad advice.
    [/quote

What is the total amount of calories that you are comparing the 500-1000 calorie deficit to?
  • jodiekm
    jodiekm Posts: 12
    Options
    Wow. Your success is phenomonal. Keep it up. I'll try getting a heart-rate monitor. This weight lost stuff is a real balancing act and tools like that can be helpful.
  • jodiekm
    jodiekm Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the info regarding at what point a body goes into starvation mode. I agree that too much emphasis is put on that. I think the focus should be on eating healthy and burning more calories than consuming.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    The 500-1000 calorie deficit per day that I am referring to is the difference between the total calories needed for that individual on any given day (obviously this depends on the size and activity level of the person on that day) and the calories consumed.

This website considers these studies, and takes the conservative position that I person should eat so that they have no less than a 500 calorie per day deficit. This nets to a one pound per week weight loss.