Am I the only one??!!

Options
Hi, everyone! :happy: :happy:

Since September 8th I have gained 1 pound but lost 3in off my waist, hips, and bust. I had a rough/busy end of the month so i was kind of expecting the gaining part but shocked at the inches lost since I haven't been able to work out very often at the end of the month. I am going to start measuring each thigh, arm, and my neck. I am down 11.5 inches and 4 jean sizes since 6/1/11 .

So, I guess my questions are;
Should I just go by inches and completely forget the scale since it hates me?
Any suggestions on how to also get the scale to move?

:heart:
Sherry

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about the scale. You seem to be doing something right. Congrats on the loss.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. The scale lies all the time.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you are obviously doing something right. Maybe just weigh yourself once a month or some longer interval than what you are doing.
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! :happy: :happy:

Since September 8th I have gained 1 pound but lost 3in off my waist, hips, and bust. I had a rough/busy end of the month so i was kind of expecting the gaining part but shocked at the inches lost since I haven't been able to work out very often at the end of the month. I am going to start measuring each thigh, arm, and my neck. I am down 11.5 inches and 4 jean sizes since 6/1/11 .

So, I guess my questions are;

:heart:
    Sherry
    If the pound gained is muscle weight, then consider it a good gain! Don't completely ignore the scale; your body is going to have natural fluctuations day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month.

As far as getting the scale to move, I suggest an ACME slingshot (as endorsed by Wile E. Coyote). Basically you put it inside the elastic band, pull back as far as you can, and then release. It should move without any problems. Unless you're Wile E. Coyote.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Yes!

See above
  • JC1459
    JC1459 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hilarious response jmac!
  • talon1977
    Options
    Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat. You may lose inches and not pounds. Also be sure to pick a day and time of the week to weigh yourself (preferably in your birthday suit) and be consistant. For example every Sunday morning after you wake up and take care of your business.
    Keep up the great work!
  • kklemencic
    Options
    I look at inches, the scale and BMI because one of them is always showing some kind of improvement. I go 2-3 weeks without any movement on the scale and then all of a sudden drop 1-3 pounds. Just keep doing what your are doing.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The scale is rubbish. All it tell you is how much you weigh. Which means nothing in my opinion. Body composition holds more value.
  • katinka13
    Options
    Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat. You may lose inches and not pounds. Also be sure to pick a day and time of the week to weigh yourself (preferably in your birthday suit) and be consistant. For example every Sunday morning after you wake up and take care of your business.
    Keep up the great work!
    exactly!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options

As far as getting the scale to move, I suggest an ACME slingshot (as endorsed by Wile E. Coyote). Basically you put it inside the elastic band, pull back as far as you can, and then release. It should move without any problems. Unless you're Wile E. Coyote.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MrsSarahScire
    Options
    I say don't worry about it, it sounds like muscle in my opinion....which doesn't matter much :-P. The problem with scales is they don't account for muscle.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I look at inches, the scale and BMI because one of them is always showing some kind of improvement. I go 2-3 weeks without any movement on the scale and then all of a sudden drop 1-3 pounds. Just keep doing what your are doing.

I am on the going 2-3 weeks and then the sudden drop of 1-3 pounds. It has been like that for the past two years of my fitness journey. I am so glad I am not the only.

OP, I much prefer inch loss to pound loss as an external demonstration of my fitness.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You're DEFINITELY not the only one. I encounter this lost inches/same weight syndrome on a regular basis. It makes me want to take jmac's solution to the scale (and THAT was HILARIOUS), but I do need to WEIGH less for my health. I didn't try to look at your diary, so I don't know how much of what you are doing is genuine strength training (obviously a good bit), but clearly, as has been said, you are doing something right. As you increase your muscle mass, your body will burn fat more willingly over time, but I share your frustration. However, I use the tape measure to remind myself that I'm still making progress so that I don't get frustrated and quit because "nothing works." I think that what you are doing will get the weight off, over time, if you are losing inches like that. Use the tape measure to keep your motivation. If you need to, you might get a scale with a body-fat measurement on it, which should also show you progress, but keep going. If the refusal to WEIGH less continues, and you are trying to achieve a healthier WEIGHT, I'd start using some of the tricks -- zig-zagging, routine changes, plateau-breaking tricks, etc. I've found that raising my calorie intake fairly high, once in a while (nearly to maintenance level) can break me out.
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

Jmac, Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

I do Zumba, Elliptical, Walking, and Circuit Training.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Unless you have more than about 20 lbs to lose, I think inches are better than the scale.
  • onecrazyredhead
    onecrazyredhead Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing something right. Don't worry what the scale say as much because you have to figure in if you worked out and gained muscle, ate too much salt, or even how much the food was that you last ate. ( heavy Meal) Pant sizees is not :flowerforyou: a bad thing to measure off of. Congrates.