If it tastes awesome..it's prob not healthy!

Options
Hello MFP folks....just had a question.
I am not really on a diet..I am just trying to watch my calorie intake, work out more and just overall try to choose healthier foods (more fruits and veggies) My biggest problem is sweets. Ice cream, pies, cake, cookies, brownies, donuts (you name it!) Anyway I am not planning on cutting them out completely just eat them every once in a while. So far I have not really touched anything sweet in about 2 weeks (except for last week I had a handful of gummi bears..which that is good for me). Also in the past I have not really had a problem with fried foods but I have noticed an increase in that before I started MFP...fries especially! Pizza is another one of my weaknesses...I could eat that twice a week but the plan is to only eat that like once a month. My main question is..who else is cutting out these foods? How often are you eating these bad foods or are you cutting them out completely? Like I mentioned before I have no plans to cut these foods out completely just eat them as a treat..so just curious how often you other peeps eat them. Thanks and hope everyone has a great weekend :)

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Not at all helpful but I'll share anyway, if anything, since I can now factor treat foods into the bigger picture of my calorie allowance, I actually think I eat them more often (intentionally and in plain view I mean.....before calorie counting, I would take bites of the boyfriends snacks without acknowledging their contribution to my total daily energy consumption, hence undoubted weight gain along with way to big serving sizes). For example, tonight I ate my healthy dinner, good serving size, didn't feel satisfied, waited half an hour, had a spare 150 calories and so ate a little dark chocolate.

Additionally, to earn yourself some tasty, tasty pizza, do some extra exercise during the day.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I really eat whatever suits my fancy :) I just stay in my calories for the day. If a cupcake is what I want then I work around it so I can have it. That being said, I do try to meet all of my needs, protein, carbs, vitamins everyday too.
  • QueenCat25
    Options
    I just eat whatever fits into my daily calorie limit. So, I usually eat something "bad" on a daily basis. lol Although I'm working on replacing unhealthy foods with nutrition dense foods.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I agree with your topic title! Pizza is my food crack...but I still have it. I try to only have it once or twice a month. It is so high in sodium as well as the other stuff... But like you, I'm not cutting anything out. If I want it, I'm going to have it. Period. Life is too short to not live it, and that includes treating yourself occasionally. Good luck with your journey!
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The great thing about some of the foods you love is there is a way to still get them in your but in a healthier way!! Eat this not that is a great resource to use.... It gives you the bad examples and then the good one! It is a great resource... Hope this helps!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I had a HUGE problem with sweets( I love to bake) I had to cut out all of my baking & don't buy many sweets anymore. Lately I have been letting my self have a couple squares of a dark chocolate bar a couple times a week. I also eat a couple Jaffa cakes for dessert sometimes- 90 calories for 2 cookies.

*I'm learning to *savor* my sweets instead of just gobbling down as much as I can get -I probably used to look like such a pig:blushing:
  • mindyahart
    Options
    I am the same way. I love gummy bears and could eat them for a meal. I started last week on MFP again and have tried to slowly incorporate healthy clean (non processed) foods. Its definitely hard but I can see the change in the way I feel. I have also started eating every 2.5hrs instead of 2 or 3 times a day like I used to. That also is making a difference. To curb my sweet craving I usually eat 1 chips ahoy choc chip cookie or a graham cracker with a very thin layer of chocolate frosting on it and I just add those right it to my meal plan for the day. It seems though everytime I begin a healthy lifestyle change I crave McDonalds french fries where that is not normally my fast food of choice. LOL. Good luck to you and I hope your changes work!
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I've found out that I really feel better when I have healthy foods, I just don't feel grose after eating them. However, I have a serious sweet tooth and I also love pizza, fries, burgers, etc. I try to have those foods on days I work out, so that my calorie count doesn't get out of control, and I'm also picky about them: I won't have any cookie just because I feel like something sweet (granola bars do the trick for me there), I'll only have a cookie I know I like (same for any other "unhealthy" food).

I think this is about learning to love healthy foods as well. I really enjoy veggies and fruits, and I make a point of cooking tasty healthy dishes so I don't feel deprived.

Hope that helps!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I cut them out completely.

If you have any sorta cooking ability, you can start making healthier versions of fastfood/junkfood type dishes.

Start gettin creative, use fresh ingredients, reasonable portion sizes and you'll get the flavors you want, with half the caloric impact.

A good book with such recipes is 'cook this, not that'..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS4p5hetmx_iWeqPQ1zGMZ-Xwni0iDNtFnayn7D3fTM2p-MlmgJw

It's basically a collection of popular restaurant dishes that are pretty bad for ya, but taste good....and how to make alternatives.

Sweets and desserts take a little more effort, but from my experiences you're best bet is pick up a diabetic dessert book. It focuses on fruits, sugar free toppings and fairly healthy ideas.

If you 'cut it out' now..you're bound to go back to it. Just make the change now, get rid of it forever or only on special occasions.

And don't be afraid to get a little naughty.
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    Helpful tip, thin crust pizza! With exercise, it doesn't amount to much. :)
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want but stay within my calorie goal.
    I rarely drink pop--almost all water, sometimes drink milk--
    especially if I need a calorie boost toward the end of the day.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    if you make your own pizza (think flatbread, tortillas, english muffins), then pizza is very healthy. load it with veggies and chicken breast. mmm!
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    I think successful weight loss demands allowance to eat "bad" foods. Personally, sweets aren't an issue for me, but fast food is (especially pizza and Taco Bell). Last Saturday, I got two large pizzas from Papa John's. I ate on them all week. I think I ate the last piece either Wednesday or Thursday. Then, this morning I weighed in and had lost 4.8 lbs. So, the week I ate so much "bad" food I lost a ton of weight. Make sure to count whatever you eat, but don't limit yourself to fruit and veggies or you'll not be able to stay with it for very long at all.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Don't cut, limit and find lower calorie alternatives. Skinny Cow Strawberry ice cream sandwiches are wonderful. Papa Murphy's De-lite pizzas, or pizzas made on whole wheat english muffins...
  • chocoholicandbaby
    chocoholicandbaby Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am/was pretty much the same as you.
    I have found it a lot easier to cut out these foods than what I thought I would. I think because I am eating healthier I am not craving those foods as much. I still love them but I don't think about them all the time lol.

My main trick is to make healthier versions of foods. For example, like you, I LOVE pizza - so I make my own at home, which can be just as tasty, if not moreso. I also made a blackbean brownie - basically a health food brownie - and that has given me a bit of a chocolate fix when I have needed it. Although in all honesty I haven't felt like I needed it.
    I also took all the junk food out of my house - I don't drive either - so if I want something like that I really have to plan for it, which a lot of the time is too much hassle lol. I have also made sure I have had healthy snacks readily available.
    When I set out to do this the only thing I deliberately cut out completely was coke - I have such a bad cycle with that. Having it once seems to just make me crave it more rather than just satiate my craving. Everything else I just said to myself "everything in moderation" but in all honesty I haven't really needed or wanted it.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Helpful tip, thin crust pizza! With exercise, it doesn't amount to much. :)

Very true! Thin crust reduces calories per slice by at least 50. and IMHO it's better
  • limestang
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week and i've still managed to lose 75 pounds.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I don't really cut anything out. I just watch my calories as others have said..however, I do find ways to make things healthier and just as delicious...it is possible!

I personally do NOT like blackbean brownies, I'm sorry they're just gross to me! Lol I love, love making brownies with pumpkin though. Just a box of brownie mix and a can of pumpkin. That's it! The texture is more dense and fudgy, the taste is the same. They are delicious. Also, this web site is my fave. Skinnytatste.com and if you have a sweet tooth, these are yummy! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/pumpkin-cupcakes-with-pumpkin-spiced.html

Nothing wrong with indulging once in a while with things you love, but you will probably find over time that your tastes may change and you don't crave the "bad" stuff as much!
  • foodluver27
    Options
    Thanks you everyone for your replies. I am enjoying reading about what you do or your opinion on the sweet factor or totally awesome foods..ha ha! Luckily sodas are not a factor for me...I quit drinking those several years ago and pretty much only drink water. I do crave a diet barq's every now and then and prob drink one like once a month (if that) and I can't even drink all of it because the carbonation is so strong...my husband says I am a wimp..ha ha!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Oh I also have a blog I just started getting back to, but its recipes I make that my family love! I either create new ones or take ones from others (usually Rachael Ray, Paula Deen,etc) and make them healthier.

www.cookinglightwithcourtney.blogspot.com