Spaghetti Squash?

Options
To the people that have tried this - I am INCREDIBLY picky.. I also LOVE pasta.... will this taste NOTHING like pasta or with sauce and some cheese, is this really a good mind-trick? Be honest.

I'd try whole grain but I'm afraid the texture will be awful and I'm not paying that much money for pasta.

Replies

• JaimeBrown5
    Options
    *bump

Anyone?
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy spaghetti squash. I think its similar enough to pasta. Angelhair pasta anyway. That is what I make spaghetti with so we don't really see much difference. Even my husband and my daughter like it when I make it. Give it a go! Won't hurt to try. Good Luck! Oh, I bake it with a little olive oil and garlic for seasoning.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    We grew a bunch of spaghetti squash in the garden this year. I tried it with spaghetti sauce and wasn't crazy about it. However, I love, love, love it baked with a little butter and some salt and pepper. Better than mashed potatoes. Even satisfies my popcorn cravings.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    It tastes like a mild squash with a stringy texture. It's good, but it doesn't taste like pasta.
  • ktgirl20
    ktgirl20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just made this yesterday, and in my oppinion.... no, it doesn't taste like spaghetti. It tastes like a combination of potatoes and squash. I put olive oil on it, salt and pepper and some parm. chese. It was ok that way, but I probably won't have it again until next year.
  • Barbzilla
    Barbzilla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is delicious, but it's best if you don't even think of it as a substitute for actual spaghetti. It's just a big disappointment if you try it expecting it to replace your regular pasta. Instead, try a little taste of it on its own and decide what you think will complement the flavor best, according your own taste. Personally, I like a small bit of Brummel & Brown, salt, pepper, fresh garlic and Parmesan on it. It's also good with a drizzle of olive oil or a generous soaking of V8 juice, in my opinion.

As for pasta, a nice high-fiber alternative is Dreamfields or SmartTaste high-fiber pastas. The taste is indistinguishable from regular pasta, but they're loaded with about 6 grams of fiber per serving, compared to the usual 2 grams.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Oh... well I don't even like the smell of squash.. so I guess that one won't be happening.

I'll give the high fibre kinds a try...because I know breaking up with pasta is going to be a problem.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    What about shiritaki noodles?
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh... well I don't even like the smell of squash.. so I guess that one won't be happening.

I'll give the high fibre kinds a try...because I know breaking up with pasta is going to be a problem.
    I think its a matter of opinion or personal taste. I would give it a try if I were you. I hate squash, but I really like using spaghetti squash. I make it just like I make spaghetti. I use green, yellow, and orange peppers, white onion, and black olives all chopped in big pieces. Mixed with hamburger (sometimes I like to use turkey/turkey sausage instead). Layer that over the noodles, then top with sauce. And cheese if you like. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! lol Give it a try! Just have some noodles on back up just in case.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've very picky with the wheat pastas...most of them I don't like at all, but there are some out there that I do like. As for spaghetti squash, I've honestly only ever had it once at Ruby Tuesday...it was very plain and bland, but, I mixed it up with the fish I was eating, and the seasonings and fish helped it. So in my opinion, it would taste better mixed with something/some kind of seasoning on it. :smile:
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    What about shiritaki noodles?

? Never heard of them...
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    To get used to the spaghetti squash I would mix it in with my pasta serving and then started decreasing the pasta. It goes well together and makes it easy to just have a half portion of the pasta as the squash is filling :)
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    looking for spagetti squash receipes,any ideas?
    thanks
    dancerpurple:)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    i just made spaghetti squash for dinner the other day. it won't taste like pasta and the texture is different but it's still very good. also, i think whole wheat pasta takes some getting used to but it's all i buy now. the grocery store where i shop has their store brand on sale a lot of the time so i stock up on it then. they usually have it for about $1 a box.
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    I LOVE spaghettie squash!!!! I boiled chicken and make alfredo sauce and mix it all up just like a chicken alfredo dish!! It's amazing!!! I don't so much like it with spaghettie sauce though................ Just me.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Hmm.. the half and half idea is a good one! Maybe I can do that with whole wheat and regular pasta and then I won't notice and I'll get at least some of the benefits!
  • calamitydown
    Options
    spaghetti squash as a replacement for pasta is my new obsession, and i'm a pasta lover! i use skinnytaste.com's bolognese recipe and top it on the spaghetti squash, then add a small amount of freshly grated parm, salt, and pepper. it's AMAZING and fills you up much quicker with less food and less calories. i'd highly recommend it with any heavy sauce. when it comes to lighter sauces or even no sauce, i'd stick with a whole wheat pasta and a little more exercise.

hope i've been somewhat helpful!

(btw, here's a link to that amazing bolognese) vvv
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/12/pasta-with-bolognese-sauce.html
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if any uk supermarkets sell spaghetti squash?
  • Barbzilla
    Barbzilla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "break up with pasta." Carbs have a place in your diet. Your body needs carbs, just like it needs calories and fat and protein. Just remember the adage, "Everything in moderation." About 50% of your calories should come from carbs -- especially if you're exercising vigorously -- so pasta can very, very easily remain a part of your diet.
  • lindsay6694
    Options
    i love it! especially with parm.

you can make a low calorie alfredo to put over it

1 tablespoon of butter(i use low sodium smart balance)
    a little whole wheat flour
    cook for a minute
    add a little unsweetened almond milk(or 1% milk), pepper, grated parm cheese and if ya want a little garlic powder
    (dont have my recipe at hand so dont recall how much of everything-sorry!)
    and then i grill up a chicken breast and toss it all together and sprinkle with a little more parm. cheese

i also had it the other night with homemade spaghetti sauce...and i browned up some ground turkey with seasonings and combined it all and that was yummy..also with a couple tablespoons of parm cheese