Should I wear my H.R.M at the Zoo today?

Options
I am going to the San Diego Zoo today for a few hours later this afternoon. I'm going ot be doing a lot of walking and the zoo is mainly all hills (if you ever been you know what I mean)

Should I wear my H.R.M ?? I plan to eat healthy by bringing my own dinner :) Thanks

Replies

• FitMama1982
    FitMama1982 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes of course! That is going to be some workout :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I do when I go because it is above and beyond my regular workout and I also have my activity level set on sedentary. . I go to San Diego Zoo quite a bit since we have passes. .

The hike up through the zebras and the eagles is pretty good. . Have fun~
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sure why not? If you have a smart phone with any of the apps ( my favorite is cardio trainer ) I usually set it with the GPS on and track my miles. It ALL adds up!
    Have fun!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do!! I get a major burn, especially since I'm pushing a stroller
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. But I only use mine for meaningful purposeful workouts. If you were running or at a fast pace then sure, but your going to be strolling and looking and not really burning like you would be if you were doing purposeful cardio. I think the HRM would grossly overestimate how many calories you are actually burning.

If you really feel that you want to track your calories at least some what you can track how long you were walking on here at a slow pace. That will give you some compensation for the walking, but not over estimate causing you to unintentionally and unknowingly go over in calories.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't either. Just make a note of the total time, then maybe divide it in half to account for the stops, then log it as medium intensity walking.
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would wear it, that way you will have an ACCURATE account of what you burned. MFP exercise calorie burn are a guide, if you have something that will show what you actually burn...well you get it ;)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sure why not? If you have a smart phone with any of the apps ( my favorite is cardio trainer ) I usually set it with the GPS on and track my miles. It ALL adds up!
    Have fun!

This is off topic, sorry, but I LOVE Cardio Trainer! I use it all the time. :love:
  • sdmcbride10
    sdmcbride10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think it is gonna to be a great calorie burn. Just this past weekend I went t to the Jacksonville,FL zoo and wore my pedometer. I burned 340 caloreis and took about 6000 steps. It worth a try.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    short answer...YES

I wear mine when we go to Seaworld! The zoo is even better because they have lots of uphill parts where you gotta climb. Your heart rate will def get up!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    lol I think they people who said no are the ones who haven't been to the San Diego Zoo.. hahaha That thing is all hills.. We have season passes too but it's our first time going to the Zoo with them, usually we go to the WIld animal park
    No, I appreciate all takes on teh subject as I was indecisive myself... But I think I am going to do it this once see how it goes because I kind of counted on this as my work out for the day!!

Off to orientation so I can volunteer at the local animal shelter!! I finally get to go!! Don't shop...Adopt!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I think they people who said no are the ones who haven't been to the San Diego Zoo.. hahaha That thing is all hills..
    So is the Pittsburgh Zoo... Yoy, bohze moy! !! We have annual passes, and have only gone once so far this year.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I say sure. why not....I wouldn't go eating back all of the calories burned but it will give you a little leeway if you're craving some zoo food treat. I'd be interested in seeing how many cals you do actually burn.

And don't feed the animals! :bigsmile: