What does no que no mean?

Options
mommared53
mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
There's a Mexican restaurant that I pass by all the time on the bus called "No Que No" and I'm curious what it means. My son works at Taco Bell and everyone but him speaks Spanish it seems (although he's learning it from working there) and I've asked him to ask one of the employees but he never remembers to ask.

What does it mean?

Replies

• mommared53
    Options
    There's a Mexican restaurant that I pass by all the time on the bus called "No Que No" and I'm curious what it means. My son works at Taco Bell and everyone but him speaks Spanish it seems (although he's learning it from working there) and I've asked him to ask one of the employees but he never remembers to ask.

What does it mean?
  • mdimarco929
    Options
    no what no?
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    according to babelfish it means "Not That No" but that doesnt seem right LOL :laugh:
  • kidsrus2000
    Options
    According to the free online translator and from what I can somewhat remember from spanish class, it means "not that not". Que can mean that but if asked in a question "Que?", it means What?
  • kidsrus2000
    Options
    according to babelfish it means "Not That No" but that doesnt seem right LOL :laugh:

Yes it doesn't sound right but it depends on how it is used in a question or in a conversation.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    according to my spanish speaking students it means something along the lines of "Oh really?" like as if you are proving a point. ( I don't quite get what they mean by that, but that's what they said."
  • mommared53
    Options
    Well that's weird. I wonder why someone would name a restaurant "no what no" or "not that no". :laugh: :laugh: :ohwell:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ha, idioms never translate right. LuckLeprechaun has it though.
  • mommared53
    Options
    according to my spanish speaking students it means something along the lines of "Oh really?" like as if you are proving a point. ( I don't quite get what they mean by that, but that's what they said."

Even that's a weird name for a restaurant. :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

there are two restaurants near my home that have weirder names than that:
    1. Blue-Footed Booby Canoe Club (sportsbar)
    2. Pete's Brass Rail and Carwash (their t-shirts have this slogan: "there is no brass rail, we don't wash cars, and who the hell is Pete?")

:laugh:
    oops I said the wrong name:blushing:
  • mommared53
    Options

2. Pete's Brass Rail and Carwash (their t-shirts have this slogan: "there is no brass rail, we don't wash cars, and who the hell is Pete?")

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options

haha, #2 is hilarious! I SO want a shirt!
  • Blossom01
    Blossom01 Posts: 658
    Options
    No que no is a prideful way of throwing it in some one face that you were right. I will use an example. When my husband and I have a disagreement and I prove him right I will "say no que no" to him as a way to confront him or to throw it at his face that I was right.

I think that this restaurant name is making a statement saying something like "and you though not" as to say “we are a good restaurant and you thought we weren’t.” I knew you would agree. and come back.
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I know it's a place to eat but this is the best one I have ever seen.

http://www.ridetheslut.com/ It is not what you think it's funny
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Suuuuuure it's not what we think!!!
    You're a bad boy, JohnBlake!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options

suuuuuurrrreeee, riiiiight! :laugh: :tongue: I'm not even risking it on the work computer!! hahhahahaha, but will check it out at home tonight!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i went to the site, but im not gonna ruin the surprise.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    here is a aisan resturaunt(not sure if its chinese food or vietnemese or what ever) in ottawa that i always drive by...

its called

hung phat.....

i dont know what it translates too ... but it doesnt sound very appealing in english:sick:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    HAHA that is awesome! The "ph" makes me think Vietnamese-

hilarious-

I was talking to my kids again about this restaurant name and they have come up with their best translation- "See I told you"