Higher Cal. Low Sugar Healthy Foods

Options
TakeOne
TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
Helloooooo MPFers!

I'm in maintenance and I'm in search of some healthy foods with higher calories, but that are still relatively low in sugar. I'm finding that I tend to eat junk and foods with higher sugar content when I try to eat all my calories for the day. Its not a daily thing, I just need some new ideas I think. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    anything with "good" oils in them - like nuts, avocado, oilve oil etc

I find adding pine nuts to food boosts the cals by a LOT!
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Organic peanut or almond butter, unsalted almonds, peanuts (or other nuts) are great. If you like yogurt, try the greek style version. Fresh & easy and Trader Joe's have very good Greek yogurt. If you are in maintenance, you may be able to eat the regular version rather than the non-fat. Both are high in protein too.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the Greek yogurt..I tried, but its just not my thing. I eat regular yogurt now and I eat almonds a fair amount too. I just need to find some new foods to be excited about. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Pine nuts are amazing-- love them. I like the fruit in the bottom oikos greek yogurt-- I don't think I would like the greek kind plain but with fruit I thought it was good. I also like the unsalted almonds and peanut butter of course. I can't do the totally healthy kind of peanut butter but I like simply Jiff's with lower sodium and sugar.

Oh, avacados are one of my favorite "good fat" foods. I eat them on tacos or in salads.

My husband and I went sugar free a few months ago and we have added some sugars back but a lot of things we still get sugar free or no sugar added versions. Salt is my next thing to tackle-- there's no such thing as a salt substitute unfortunately.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    YES to avocados. Sliced on sandwiches, plain with a little salt, guacamole...I could eat them all day long. Almonds are another favorite snack of mine, as is celery sticks with natural peanut butter and raisins (I love the sweet/salty combo). Also, I will cook in olive oil (not cooking spray) if I am low on calories for the day. Full fat anything is another good way to get the calories- dairy products, salad dressings, etc.