Advice on Knee Pain

Options
I have been running Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Aerobics Tuesday and Thursday and two days off at the weekend.

Last Sunday the inside small muscle (?) on my right knee felt weird, when walking. Then on Monday in the middle of the school run (20 min brisk walk with pram) my leg kinda clicked and started hurting. I tried to rest it as much as possible and just doing the 4 times school run and no formal exercise this week but my leg still hurts and I'm fed up from the lack of exercise :(

My knee feels better than it did Tuesday but it is not better. Any suggestions, what did I do wrong.and how do I avoid doing it again ? How long will it take to heal ?

I am going to the doctors tomorrow.

Replies

• KavemanKarg
    Options
    After every run within 20 minutes

Ice Ice baby

Also insure you are stretching your IT band with dynamic stretches before your run and static stretches after.

Same for your glutes and hams which will also pull your IT tight.

If it starts to get worse not better, get assessed by a registered athletic therapist or physiotherapist, or advanced diagnostics such as X-Ray or other imaging. Knee is serious business.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I guess I should ask, are you new to running?

If so, less distance, let your body adjust, an extra day off at first.

Come at it slowly.

Cheers,
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I have been dealing with this for the last 2 months, I had recently upped my exercise too, and It MAY have been too much too quickly-- OR I had an old injury flare up because of the additional exercise. So I haven't been able to do much, but I started physical therapy this week, and I think it will help. Otherwise I am going to need surgery. I had an MRI and I have a slight tear in my meniscus. It's pretty common.

So, I haven't been able to use my legs much, and have had to rely on upper body stuff. So much harder to get cardio:( But it's possible (thing like punches).

I would lay off running and aerobics-- especially if there was some clicking noise, and talk to your doctor.
  • JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    if your knee hurts I'd not do anything that hurts until it's checked out to avoid further damage. Once a knee is messed up it's an issue forever for lots of people if the injury goes too far. My first place to go would be my chiropractor!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You may need to lay off the high impact cardio on the days in between your runs. There's a lot of stress on your knees if you're doing high impact workouts every day. You're better off doing something like biking or swimming where you aren't stressing your joints on the days in you aren't running.

Sorry, I don't have any advice on the knee injury itself. So far, mine have been behaving.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts.

Yes, I'm new to running (just three weeks in) but doing the aerobics with no problems for four months.

Yes, I might of tried to hard.

Yes, I do stretches after my run and only start running after a gentle warm up walk for 5 minutes. I maybe I am not doing the right sort or the right length.

I know nothing about muscle groups, I will have to learn.

I am doing no further exercise until I am in no pain and seen a doctor.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Thanks for the posts.

Yes, I'm new to running (just three weeks in) but doing the aerobics with no problems for four months.

Yes, I might of tried to hard.

Yes, I do stretches after my run and only start running after a gentle warm up walk for 5 minutes. I maybe I am not doing the right sort or the right length.

I know nothing about muscle groups, I will have to learn.

I am doing no further exercise until I am in no pain and seen a doctor.

This being the case the usual advice is to stop running until the pain is gone.

Start back up slowly, reduced distance and frequency at first.

If the pain returns, stop at once and get assessed.

Most of the time this is the result of not giving your body time to adapt.

If the pain is bad, sharp, shooting, if you hear grating noises from the knee cap, get it checked out for sure.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Updat. Doctor said she thought I had sprained by long inner leg muscle from where I was showing the pain to be. She thinks it will heal fine. I am not to exercise until I am 100% pain free. Keep up the basic walking to keep leg mobile.

Phew. I must build up my running slowly and stretch more.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    FYI for other knee pain sufferers...I had similar knee pain when running. I posted here and someone said my hips were not strong enough. Sure enough, now that I've worked on the muscles in my hips, my knees no longer hurt.