Cutting down on sodium :/

Options
A few months ago my goal became to cut out as much sugar from my diet as possible, so I started making changes. That was really pretty easy-- there's usually a sugar free version or at least a no-sugar added, and I use splenda a lot. But now I am wanting to cut down on salt and I'm finding that much harder. After all there really isn't such a thing as a salt substitute that I know of. Anyone have tips for when you're having a salty snack craving? Healthier alternatives, etc?

Replies

• Esq88
    Esq88 Posts: 54
    Options
    i am also trying to cut my sodium intake because i see a big daily weight fluctuation because of it.
  • mariposadedios
    Options
    there is such a thing as a salt substitute, but it is potassium so not everyone can use it depending on medications they are on or health conditions they may have - so ask your doctor.

I use Mrs. Dash - they have like 8 different blends for different reasons (for seasoning vegetables, chicken, etc) and no salt!

Plus I just compare products, some cereals have 250 mg of sodium, some have only 5! so you don't have to be deprived of what you like, there might be another choice that's similar!

good luck, it is really hard to cut back sodium!
  • bparsont
    Options
    Unfortunately unless you cook or make it yourself it's gonna have sodium and lots of it. Fruits and veggies are about the only thing with little or no sodium. I also have to watch my sodium for medical reasons and its a real challenge. ANYTHING processed is gonna have lots of sodium, even if it says "organic", "healthy", "natural" BEWARE.

You know, we all have cravings and giving into them once a week is not a big deal, just don't make it part of the daily routine. Learn to read the labels and limit yourself to 1tsp(2500mg) of salt a day.

Good Luck, and it can be done!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Unfortunately unless you cook or make it yourself it's gonna have sodium and lots of it. Fruits and veggies are about the only thing with little or no sodium. I also have to watch my sodium for medical reasons and its a real challenge. ANYTHING processed is gonna have lots of sodium, even if it says "organic", "healthy", "natural" BEWARE.

You know, we all have cravings and giving into them once a week is not a big deal, just don't make it part of the daily routine. Learn to read the labels and limit yourself to 1tsp(2500mg) of salt a day.

Good Luck, and it can be done!!

Plenty of things with little or no sodium

- fruits and veggies
    -rice (not instant)
    - pasta
    -dried beans and legumes
    -a lot of meats

Eating clean and less processed foods helps so much!

When I crave salty I go for Mes. dash seasonings.. sodium free but yummy :]

I noticed spicy foods really kick that craving too :]
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are actually salt substitutes, I think they are potassium instead. However, you should probably look more at cutting out the processed foods which contain a lot of sodium. First of all, add sodium to what you're tracking in your food diary so you can actually see the sodium amounts in the foods you are eating. Look through your diary for the past few weeks and focus on the specific food items which are high in sodium. I can already tell by just looking at the last couple of days you'll probably want to cut out things like the Campbell's chili. It's 840 mg of sodium for a one cup serving which is more than half of the 1500 mg per day recommended by the American Heart Association.

Canned soups, boxed mac and cheese, deli meats, cheese, salsa... these things are all pretty high in sodium. Some are okay in moderation but for the others you'll want to find lower sodium substitutes. Good luck!
  • JC1459
    JC1459 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

I have cut out added sugar and salt from my diet COLD TURKEY! Yikes! It's been 3 weeks and I have to say I've gotten very used to it. I think the sugar loss is easier than the salt. One thing that I'm finding is the REAL taste of foods - delicious and quite satisfying.

I have on a FEW occasions sprinkled a LITTLE salt on my fresh cukes and tomatoes. (Can't help it!) When I do I am able to quickly move on and dont sweat it. NO GUILT - and looking ahead!

Give it a try - you may find that you prefer a lot less sodium in your diet. GOOD LUCK
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How does one get this salt substitute? It seems like it might kill two birds with one stone for me, since I am also supposed to be adding potassium.

I know canned chili is not good on the salt front-- that was an indulgence ;) based on the craving for a frito pie. :P In fact I guess canned everything is probably high in salt. But they usually make low sodium versions. Or when I'm at home (not staying with my parents) I can cook my own soups more easily.

My problem is more about wanting things like cracker crisps, tortilla chips, and that sort of thing. When I do my own cooking I can obviously control it a lot more, but I am wondering if there's an equivalent to the sugar craving-- like if you're craving something sweet you can have a piece of fruit. If you're craving something salty. . .? I will try spicy-- I like spicy quite a bit and my rheumatologist says it's good for me, so can't go wrong there I guess unless it's salty AND spicy. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am rarely anywhere near my sodium limit on a daily basis because I generally stay away from prepackaged foods. I cook most things myself so when I do crave a salty snack, it is no big deal. Even after I eat a serving of chips I am still not over on sodium. Basically, the more you eat real, whole foods the more latitude you have. Sodium isn't inherently bad (in moderation, of course) unless you have a medical issue like high blood pressure. As long as you stay within your goal, all is good.

Also, my father in law uses salt substitute. I tried it and thought it tasted like granular evil. Like salty chemicals. It was horrific stuff.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    yeah I'll be able to cook a lot more once I'm not staying in someone else's house-- I'm kind of limited at dinnertime to whatever my mom cooks and she gives me a big guilt trip if I cook my own, so I'm doing my best to control what I can. I miss having my own kitchen!