Has anyone tried Alli pills?

Options
My mum gave me ten of her spare pills and I'm taking 1 or 2 a day until they run out. Has anyone else tried them? Do they work?

Replies

• cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    In general not a lot of people on this site are into diet pills. I know someone who took them and said the side affects ( the rectal leaking) was not really worth it.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    yeah :/
    but I'm going on holiday in less than a month and I have yet to lose any weight so by this point I'm desperate :s
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    I've heard horror stories, delicately described as "rectal leaking".... I don't trust diet pills. In my opinion, weight loss isn't a "quick fix" that we can get through diet pills...it takes the good ole' fashion diet and exercise. I'd say you're better of eating appropriately and exercising, don't rely on those pills to give you the body you want... you can do it yourself :)
  • JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active vitamins!
  • mailroommary
    Options
    Several years ago I was given the prescription dosage of those pills. About 6 months of taking them I noticed my skin started smelling like it was burning. A very nasty odor was coming out of my pores. Very Gross! Of course the doctor said he had never heard of such a reaction but I had to stop taking them because of it. Otherwise they worked pretty well. It made me be very careful about what I ate!
    Naturally once I stopped taking them I went back to my crappy food choices.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I know somebody that publically pooped their pants because of those. You have to be really careful of what you eat. It really wouldn't be worth it to me, for sure.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    I've heard stories about pills wrecking people's bodies, but I'm not even taking them for a fortnight so I hope they don't effect me like that

The thing is though, i have been on a fairly healthy diet and i'm very active but I haven't lost a pound! I've been on here since april and i've put on nearly ten pounds! D: Everyone i've spoken to about it can't understand why i'm 'not skinny' because apparently i don' eat much and i work hard etc :/
    I do think I eat enough though, I'm rarely less than 1200

I was hoping the pills might kick start my body or something :s
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried them. They didn't help at all, just made me sick.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like the other posters have said, the side effects are gross and aren't worth it. All the alli pills do is prevent your body from absorbing some fat, they don't really help you lose weight faster. Just pay attention to what you're eating and you'll burn fat. Make sure you're eating good fats from avocados, olive oil, etc. and not from dairy or meat sources and you'll do well.
  • Sveltenhealthy
    Sveltenhealthy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A friend was on them for less than a month (she was only about 10 lbs overweight anyway) and she got so sick she had to have a liver transplant. The doctors all said they've seen multiple patients because of these pills. I'd stay away from them. After almost losing a friend, diet and exercise sounds much much better to me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've heard stories about pills wrecking people's bodies, but I'm not even taking them for a fortnight so I hope they don't effect me like that

The thing is though, i have been on a fairly healthy diet and i'm very active but I haven't lost a pound! I've been on here since april and i've put on nearly ten pounds! D: Everyone i've spoken to about it can't understand why i'm 'not skinny' because apparently i don' eat much and i work hard etc :/

1200 calories a day may not be enough for you. I know that when I get fewer than 1500 calories I stop losing completely and may even gain. Try increasing your calories to see if that helps your body get into fat burning mode.
  • dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used them for about 6 months a couple of years ago. I didn't have any of the rectal leaking problems, in fact, I had just the opposite. I was constipated. But after initially using 10 lbs in a couple of weeks, I lost nothing else. I don't recommend them. I have lost 23 lbs in a couple of months just watching portion size and exercising. Kettlebells are great for burning fat quickly. Good luck
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

What kind of exercises are you doing? Are they intense? The more intense the workout, the more you have to eat. A lot of people think that eating less will make them lose, when it can make them gain.

Have you been losing inches? Scale weight doesn't determine what size clothes a person wears. Don't focus on the scale weight. If you have been losing inches and your clothes are getting smaller, then guess what! You have been getting great results.

If you don't mind me asking, how many calories are you eating a day? You might be eating enough and need to up your exercise. The body is smart and it can get use to the same exercise being done over and over. That's why, I like to make my body guess what exercise I am going to do next. I've just finished a 90 Day program called Supreme 90 Day on September 23, 2011. I own over 200 workouts and prior to doing the program, I would do a different workout each time that I exercise, resting between 1 to 2 days a week. My body had to guess what I was going to do.

You might want to do cross fit workouts or trick your body like I did by doing a different workout each time you workout. I would do strength training 2 days a week and cardio 3 times a week. Some of my workouts would be a combination of strength training/cardio.

Make sure you drink enough water too, because water helps with weight loss. You can do this!
  • AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN
    Options
    I have never heard anything good about Alli...and my girlfriend took them and the LEAKAGE was so bad a few times that she literally went through her clothes before she realized it. Basically any fat that is anything that u eat is going to come out ur other end whether u like it or not. Yes it does make u regret things that u eat....but almost everything u eat has some sort of fat in it. I'll be honest I went to a weightloss doctor and got put on the prescription adipex. Which is an appetite suppressant. If u aren't having issues with over eating or an emotional eater I dont suggest it. Me I am 5 foot tall and weighed 244 lbs on May 5th of this year today is October 1st(almost 5 months later) and I have lost 54lbs and I am at 190 right now! I took Adipex for 3 months and it basically retaught my brain! All those times that I thought I was hungry I was just eating because it was there! The adipex just suppressed my appetite I had to still make healthy decisions, and those healthy decisions have continued. I began walking a few miles a day as soon as I started the Adipex and now 5 months later I am actually running 4 to 5 miles every other day working out at the gym doing lots of cardio or I am at home doing Zumba on the Wii and today I actually am getting ready to do the UFC trainer on the Wii.....I couldn't be happier to have gotten my life back! I am on my way down to 130-135 and cannot wait to celebrate my success when I get there! I will say this...I love MFP but I really hate how discouraging some people can be about pills....it actually almost pushed me away from this site....in all honesty if I hadn't woken up one day and decided to call the weigh loss clinic and give myself a jump start I prob would be 244 or plus right now! I maintain a 1200 calorie a day diet no more and no less! I drink stricty water g2 or an occassional coke zero. friend me if u like!!!:wink:
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options

What kind of exercises are you doing? Are they intense? The more intense the workout, the more you have to eat. A lot of people think that eating less will make them lose, when it can make them gain.

Have you been losing inches? Scale weight doesn't determine what size clothes a person wears. Don't focus on the scale weight. If you have been losing inches and your clothes are getting smaller, then guess what! You have been getting great results.

If you don't mind me asking, how many calories are you eating a day? You might be eating enough and need to up your exercise. The body is smart and it can get use to the same exercise being done over and over. That's why, I like to make my body guess what exercise I am going to do next. I've just finished a 90 Day program called Supreme 90 Day on September 23, 2011. I own over 200 workouts and prior to doing the program, I would do a different workout each time that I exercise, resting between 1 to 2 days a week. My body had to guess what I was going to do.

You might want to do cross fit workouts or trick your body like I did by doing a different workout each time you workout. I would do strength training 2 days a week and cardio 3 times a week. Some of my workouts would be a combination of strength training/cardio.

Make sure you drink enough water too, because water helps with weight loss. You can do this!

I run and walk and yesterday i took up rope jumping, i use 5kg weights 3 times a week too.
    My diet has been a bit higgeldy-piggeldy to be honest. I started out at 1200ish then it gradually increased to like 1500-1600ish and recently it's gone lower again. Though i'm far from perfect and when it's my TOM, sometimes i'll eat things i know i shouldn't D: but i do try
    I just don't know what to do :/
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I run and walk and yesterday i took up rope jumping, i use 5kg weights 3 times a week too.
    My diet has been a bit higgeldy-piggeldy to be honest. I started out at 1200ish then it gradually increased to like 1500-1600ish and recently it's gone lower again. Though i'm far from perfect and when it's my TOM, sometimes i'll eat things i know i shouldn't D: but i do try

Running and walking are good. Try adding some interval workouts to your routine. Boot Camp workouts are good. My number one favorite workout is Tae Bo. If I can suggest a workout to you, I would go with Tae Bo. You can check out the workouts on youtube. If you view some of the workouts and think that it's something you would like to try, check with your local library, they might have some of the workouts you can check out. If you want to buy the workouts, I know that Walmart, Target and Barnes and Nobles carry some of the workouts. Try Amazon.

Another thing, do you have any health issues, such as diabetes or thyroids?
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You should get your thyroid checked just in case. The only way I would use Alli is if I didn't have to leave the house for anything which is close to impossible for most folks. Alli simply absorbs the excess fat and removes it from your body. If you are already eating a healthy diet, you are probably low fat already in your diet so I am not sure Alli would be much use for you.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options

Running and walking are good. Try adding some interval workouts to your routine. Boot Camp workouts are good. My number one favorite workout is Tae Bo. If I can suggest a workout to you, I would go with Tae Bo. You can check out the workouts on youtube. If you view some of the workouts and think that it's something you would like to try, check with your local library, they might have some of the workouts you can check out. If you want to buy the workouts, I know that Walmart, Target and Barnes and Nobles carry some of the workouts. Try Amazon.

Another thing, do you have any health issues, such as diabetes or thyroids?

Well, hypothyroid runs in the family but I've been tested and I know I don't have it.
    But I do have "very" low iron (i've been on pills for nearly nearly two months for that though, feel a lot better) and I've got low blood pressure too :s
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I used an unrelated diet pill for months when I was younger (just barely old enough to be allowed to buy them) and they really messed me up for awhile. I looked into Alli a little bit when it came out but was really turned off by the possible 'anal leakage' side effect and decided to just do things the natural way. And watching my food log here on MFP, my fat intake is usually lower than the goal it gives me anyway so I'm not that worried about needing to have exess fat whisked away. :-)
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    i used alli years ago... if you eat a high fat high calorie meal dont take one. tmi even when it was gas liquid came out... :noway: