The cupcakes! They are everywhere!!

Options
Is anyone else a baker or a chef? How do you cope? I run a dessert business that primarily focuses on cupcakes and cakes and this weekend I am filling several orders. You'd think by this point I'd hate cupcakes, but I don't! I still love them. They are just a tiny little piece of heaven that fits in your hand. There are always extra, and trust me when I say I'm totally happy with indulging now and then. For the most part I am proud to say that usually my willpower prevails, but sometimes I am at the losing end of a staring contest with a pastry. Just wondering if anyone else has this dilemma where work and personal life collide?

BTW, if anyone says "bakers should be jolly and fat" I will track you down. I am so sick of hearing people say that.

Replies

• TinpotTragedy
    Options
    Ok, well maybe just the 'jolly' part then?!
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    just have ONE. ooorrrrr eat a piece of fruit like me :)
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Damn cupcakes! They are evil. I'm an amateur baker and haven't baked much in the last couple of months. I finally made some cookies for my husband, but I made them with a very small cookie scoop so they were bite-sized. Each cookie was 70 calories and I had to think every time - is this really worth it? Some days yes, some days no.

It's all about moderation. I'd be shoveling cupcakes (and frosting...OMG the frosting) in my mouth all day. Oh, wait...I did - that's how I got here!
  • victoriashea
    Options
    I have carb days, where I eat a ****-ton of fruit. Sounds odd, but the high fiber/sugar content curbs the cravings. Dude, I PIG out on fruit and it's rad. I'm usually set to not eat sweets for a good week or two afterward.

Lots of bananas. That's the trick.

M'yes.
  • leia2beav
    Options
    I love to bake  I try and give it away as fast as I can. . . Family, friends, my hubbies work, church, police and fireman, kids in the neighborhood. . . Share that joy!!!
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am not a professional baker at all, and think you must have a TON of strength. Right before I started my MFP journey officially, I was cupcaking every week, and it gained some steam. Now I have several people messaging me every few days asking where the cupcakes are. I just CAN'T do it right now because unless I make my frosting with shortening, I'll eat like 6... no joke. If I use shortening in the frosting (I think its discusting) so I can barely get through one.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I miss baking, as I'm usually the one who does all the baking in my immediate family. Haven't baked anything in at least 6 months though. Not looking forward to the baking season, lol.

However, I do like leia2beav's idea of giving the joy away, hahahah
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    death_by_cupcake_poster-p22884162491432511939iq_400.jpg

I love to bake, and I love cupcakes, but I definitely don't have the will power that you claim to have and so I have stopped eating them and most other baked sweet things. lol Grrrrrrrrrr
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    cake mix mixed with any diet soda.. top it off with fat free whip cream or yogurt.. yummy :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My husband is an incredible baker. I work days and he works nights, and it's nothing for me to walk into the house after I get out of work only to find a few dozen cookies around the kitchen. Not just regular cookies. Peanut butter- mini chocolate chip cookies baked in tart pans with mini Reeces cups in the center. For my part, I try to pack them away in covered containers because I'm lucky in that out of site, out of mind, usually works for me. But, I agree - fresh baked sweets are EVIL!!!
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love to bake. I find that I can't eat it, or it'll all be over. I have "cheat" days planned once a month where I can eat things like that, and when I want something I tell myself I'll make whatever it is then.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I should admit this... but I've lost 32 pounds since April, and I eat cupcakes 3-4 times a week! LOL My neighbor runs a cupcake bakery, and is always asking me to sample new flavors. I also have a few favorites I routinely buy.

I think you can eat cupcakes and still lose weight... you just have to plan them into your daily calories.
  • TheDudette
    Options
    I don't know if I should admit this... but I've lost 32 pounds since April, and I eat cupcakes 3-4 times a week! LOL My neighbor runs a cupcake bakery, and is always asking me to sample new flavors. I also have a few favorites I routinely buy.

I think you can eat cupcakes and still lose weight... you just have to plan them into your daily calories.

I probably eat about that many too (taste testing is a hard job that's just got to be done) the problem is wanting the second one. And unfortunately my customers don't want "healthy" cupcakes and I don't really blame them either. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an answer for me except to just know that I can only have one and to just stay out of the kitchen after that. Ha!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I probably eat about that many too (taste testing is a hard job that's just got to be done) the problem is wanting the second one. And unfortunately my customers don't want "healthy" cupcakes and I don't really blame them either. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an answer for me except to just know that I can only have one and to just stay out of the kitchen after that. Ha!

Yes... stopping at one is the key for me, too. :-) You'll do fine. :-)
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Cup cakes are the devil!
  • TinpotTragedy
    Options

Baked goods are the devil to me lately, but whn I actually bake myself I'm pretty good with avoidance, I just push them on everyone else... I'm such a feeder!! But like someone said earlier, considering you do this for a job you must already have a lot of strength, maybe if you want to try stop at one, take a plate and cut the cupcake up into small portions, then it looks like you've got multiple portions but it's only one cupcake. And psychlogically you'll feel the hit of having exra portions without actually doing it...
  • TheDudette
    Options

Baked goods are the devil to me lately, but whn I actually bake myself I'm pretty good with avoidance, I just push them on everyone else... I'm such a feeder!! But like someone said earlier, considering you do this for a job you must already have a lot of strength, maybe if you want to try stop at one, take a plate and cut the cupcake up into small portions, then it looks like you've got multiple portions but it's only one cupcake. And psychlogically you'll feel the hit of having exra portions without actually doing it...

I'm gonna try that! If I split it into a couple of different pieces I can have a piece at different point of the day. I love it.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    >>They are just a tiny little piece of heaven that fits in your hand<<

ROFLOLOL!! I love it!!