What would you eat if you have lots of calories left but no

Options
I am new to MFP and from what I have been reading I need to really watch my sodium levels. This is really new to me. However, I am not one of those people who puts salt on everything. In fact, I never add salt. I am just amazed how quickly one's sodium numbers add up. I seem to be always under in my calories but what would you suggest eating that has calories but VERY low sodium?

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    ice cream :)

I don't think I go over my sodium that much, I think egg whites are low sodium, feel free to look at my dairy, but ignore the "bad foods". I'm much better Monday - Thursday. ha!
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Get some natural almonds or walnuts (sodium free)....if I have alot of calories left bit not much sodium this is what I eat :)
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Please ignore the people who will preach to you about sodium. If you do not have high blood pressure, all excess sodium will do is make you occasionally retain water. It will not affect your weight loss in any way.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When I first started watching my sodium, oatmeal was my savior. Fresh fruits and veggies, too.

Whole wheat pastas also has no sodium, but you have to watch the sauces. I do my pasta with some chicken, steamed asparagus or broccoli, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of shredded parmesan.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Please ignore the people who will preach to you about sodium. If you do not have high blood pressure, all excess sodium will do is make you occasionally retain water. It will not affect your weight loss in any way.

I agree with this, but sodium WILL make your scale numbers fluctuate due to all that water retention. It was nerve-wracking for someone like me, who would fluctuate as much as 7lbs. in one day. Once I started keeping my sodium levels reasonable, my weight was much easier to track.

Sodium is a necessary electrolyte, vital to muscular function. If you're working out a lot and sweating you have less to worry about.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    I've been losing weight consistently since I've been on the program, and my sodium is normally between two and three times what it should be. I need to work on it, but I don't think it matters that much unless you have blood pressure issues.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I keep saying it, and most people will disagree. I do not worry about salt AT ALL.

My blood pressure is fine. My kidneys are healthy. My heart is healthy. Salt isn't going to do anything to me, but maybe make me hold a bit of water for a day. (so I won't weigh in the next day if I eat a lot of salt)

I work at a hospital, and asked one of our docs. He said the same thing. I'll retain water, but I'm healthy and its not going to do anything to me.

Plus, if you sweat a lot when you work out, you'll lose sodium.

Now go eat some salt!!! ;)
    (in moderation of course, we don't want you swollen tomorrow for drinking out of the salt shaker!! haha)
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Meh, for myself I say keep an eye on it and drink lots of water if you are on the high side. Otherwise don't worry about it too much unless it's constantly way over.

I seem to have to much sodium if I eat something prepackaged or ready to eat (which I rarely do). Lunch meat is horrible too, if I have a high sodium day it's usually because I have had that. Try something whole like veggies or fruit. Not too much sodium there.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Get some natural almonds or walnuts (sodium free)....if I have alot of calories left bit not much sodium this is what I eat :)

Raw almonds are my favorite go-to.

It is amazing how much sodium is in everything! For example: a house salad from Olive Garden packs over 1000 mg of sodium!!!! :huh:
  • swelch421
    Options
    Does MFP tell us somewhere if we are getting too much sodium? Keep in mind, sodium is important, especially if you sweat alot (due to exercise or working outside etc).
  • 4littlemonkeys
    Options
    Does MFP tell us somewhere if we are getting too much sodium? Keep in mind, sodium is important, especially if you sweat alot (due to exercise or working outside etc).
    You can add it into your daily tracking by going to Food; settings; Diary settings.....then select it in the drop down box under fat, carbs etc.

I don't track sodium at all....I drink plenty of water so figure I flush a good amount of it out!!
  • mutzzy
    mutzzy Posts: 23
    Options
    My weight seems to fluctuate up and down 2-3 pounds. I drink a ton of water. I just thought it might be something to "watch" and see if my weight starts to go in the RIGHT direction. Thanks for the help.

Love almonds! :)