Is it ok to only have a 1000 calorie intake?

Options
Mines is set for 1200 daily, but find it's too much.. Is it safe to go lower than that?

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    NO
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    NO

Agreed!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "safe".

Will you lose weight? Maybe.

Is it healthy? Not at all.

In fact, 1200 calories per day is probably too low. Is it really that it's "too much" or are you just afraid to eat because you think it won't work or you'll gain weight?
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    No healthy, non-feeble adult should ever eat less than 1,200 calories a day, period
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    There is no reason to keep it that low. You will lose at 1200. 1000 and you are just increasing your risk for muscle loss
  • Bratkins
    Options
    1200 should be your absolute limit. And only if you aren't working out that day.
  • Natalie49
    Natalie49 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    just go with what MFP suggests.. and you can always burn the 200 cals with exercise! :)

Good luck!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    It is not recommended because your metabolism slows down. I have been finding the same problem as you though. My calories are set at 1280 but I have trouble getting to 1000. I started having a protein bar. High in calories (about 200) high in protein, low in fat and carbs. I buy the chocolate ones and it satisfies my need for chocolate too. That is the one thing I really miss. Good luck in your senior year and in your weight loss!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody above.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Ok I asked because I've been trying so hard to eat up to 1200 and I only eat about 900 maybe 1000 a day. (not because I'm trying to starve myself) ... I eat alot, I just think what I'm eating is low in calories (and this is minus adding my workout for the day)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I would say to reach your minimum at least, because you don't want your body to go into starvation mode.
  • Iamfit4life
    Options
    how do you feel about avocados? Nuts?

Something. Your diary isn't public so it's hard to make suggestions.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    No!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ok I asked because I've been trying so hard to eat up to 1200 and I only eat about 900 maybe 1000 a day. (not because I'm trying to starve myself) ... I eat alot, I just think what I'm eating is low in calories (and this is minus adding my workout for the day)

I would try first eating foods that are higher in calories then. Nuts, seeds, avocados, bananas, nut butters, whole grains, cheese, etc. I would also try eating more often throughout the day.
  • kimberly130
    Options
    No I its not safe and eventually you will stop loosing and can not only mess up your metabolism but start to burn muscle and hold onto fat... technically you shoud use you BMR as a base, since this is the calorie intake needed to "live".
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options

So maybe snacking on nuts will help eating more cals and I know it's good in others ways too.. I'll add them more
  • Iamfit4life
    Options

So maybe snacking on nuts will help eating more cals and I know it's good in others ways too.. I'll add them more
    Yes it will help a lot.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods. You also don't have to eat super clean.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm....PEANUT BUTTER!!! I eat it when my calories are on the low side..because of my exercise cals that is... Protein shake..too!! :wink: