Newbie Yoga

Options
CVAB
CVAB Posts: 56 Member
I want to get into yoga as a serious means of exercise for myself. I have started doing very basic poses.
I was wondering if anyone has any DVDs they could suggest?
Also how soon did you feel results when you first started yoga?

Replies

• DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've done a few yoga DVD's. If you are going for weight loss, the one's I have done are The Biggest Loser YOga for Weight Loss, and Bob Harpers Yoga for Warriors (awesome!!).

If you are going for the more traditional yoga DVD class with meditation and learning the names of poses and things, I cant help you there.

I personally enjoy going to an actual yoga studio with trained yoga teachers, but sadly, the wallet will not allow at this time :frown:

You can also check out www.yogajournal.com for a list of DVD's and books that will help you with your goals.

Namaste!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    www.yogatoday.com

I would also advise investing in a beginner class or two to really learn how to do the poses correctly. I started off doing many, many poses wrong.

Also, Rodney Yee has fantastic videos for all levels, as well as Baron Baptiste.

I've been practicing for about 2 years and I love it! Hope you find your inner yogi!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you've never done it before you may want to take a class to make sure that you are doing the poses correctly.

As for fat loss DVDs I recommend Cardio Yoga and anything by Rodney Yee, both distributed by Gaiam, Jillian Michaels Yoga or Biggest Loser Yoga.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Gaiam makes some great yoga DVDs. My favorite instructor is Rodney Yee. You can check out yoga DVDs from the local library so you can try different styles.
  • CVAB
    CVAB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :)
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti. It has over 3.5 hours of vinyasa sequences that you can customize based on your level and goals. I had tried many yoga DVD's before, but I feel I made the most progress with "Yoga Shakti" and "Daily Energy" also by Shiva Rea.
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    YOGA MELTDOWN BY JILLIAN MICHEALS IS THE BEST:smile: