What do you do when a restaraunt doesn't have a nutrition gu

Options
Tomorrow I have to go to a restaurant with my family for lunch, but it's a strictly city-wide italian restaurant! And if there's one thing those places don't concern themselves with, it's calories! I was wondering what you guys do when you don't have a convenient calorie count available when you go to restaurants? I've checked the menu online and it's all heavy carbs, protein and fat. Not even an option for salad!

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I have to watch sodium so its especially tough in situations like that.
    I limit my portions, but partake in all courses.
    This way I participate, I don't feel deprived and I don't go over too much.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    eat what i want and enjoy myself and get back on track the next day. your diet shouldn't have you stressing over social situations, you should be in control of your diet and that means being able to enjoy food even in excess and knowing you can get back on track the next day
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Wow. An Italian restaurant with no salad option? I guess if I had no other choice, I'd get spaghetti with marinara sauce and immediately put 1/2 to 3/4 in a take out container.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When i go to a local italian here. I log it in as "olive garden", because I assume it is close. This may be completely the wrong way to go about it but i am not sure how else to do it.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i ask them to bring out half and put the other half in a to go box. or you can find another resturant that is similar and log it with theirs.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I watch my portions too, when I go out. Also, I try to estimate calories based on looking at what is in the food database. Sometimes add more calories if I think what I had to eat doesn't match up too well. It's all a guesstimate. I allow a splurge meal once a week, and I don't get too wound up about it. I've found that lately, my splurge meals haven't been taking me very far over my calories for the day, which is probably an NSV of sorts. Best wishes to you, and most of all, enjoy yourself!!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I would order what I want... then when I log it I would find the highest calorie item that came close to what I ate and log it under that.
  • rag5051
    rag5051 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    On the one hand -- I would just eat a little bit of different food that they offer at the restaurant. Ask the waitress up front to put half of whatever it is that you order in a doggie bad to go (portion control). I know that it's hard with Italian restaurants because a lot of them are family style... in that case just kind of eat a little and if you're still hungry later then eat a salad/something healthy.

On the other hand if it's been awhile since you've "splurged" then I would just relax and enjoy the food. One night won't cause weight gain -- only continually bad habits.

Hope this helps!
  • shellie1206
    shellie1206 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    stay away from the free breads and I would ask for no noodles or ask for it on the side..Still have fun and enjoy the outing!!!
  • CapriceD
    CapriceD Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Since I don't cook, I only eat in restaraunts, my advise is to eat a smaller or child's portion. That way you can enjoy the food and social time and reduce any "going off the deep end"
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    order what you want plus a healthy salad.. dressing on the side.. dip your fork in dressing instead of putting it on top :) I agree with the previous comment. forget about it.. Tomorrow is a new day :) As long as you don't make a habit of it you will be fine :)
  • GoCanada
    GoCanada Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day off and get back on track the next. I usually just use the higher based estimate from foods already in the log, as someone else suggested.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Today we ate out and when I asked for the nutrition menu I got a funny lok with a response, we don't have one..so then the greater says yes we do..I'll have to get it out of the other room.....he comes back with white paper stapled together, photocopies with nutrition info listed...I gather they don't give it out much but it was a BIG help! I saved alot of calories and even stayed under with sodium because I could see the info..ask...it might be hiding in a drawer!
  • hilarityensues
    hilarityensues Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys :) I feel a lot better.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Two things. First, I try to think of a bigger restaurant that serves similar food and see if I can find their calorie counts. It's a guestimate, of course, but probably in the ballpark of what you're talking.

Second, when you order your food, as for a to-go box up front. When your food arrives, immediately put 1/4 - 1/2 of it in the box and only eat what's on your plate. You can freeze the "left-overs" or eat them early in the week.

Good luck!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    eat what i want and enjoy myself and get back on track the next day. your diet shouldn't have you stressing over social situations, you should be in control of your diet and that means being able to enjoy food even in excess and knowing you can get back on track the next day

^^^^this exactly^^^^ go enjoy yourself and hope back on track tomorrow
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options

^^ This, life is too short to skimp on the occasional social situation.

Always remember you need to eat 3500 calories over you TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to gain a Pound of Fat.

Then just remember that you can eat all your good and healthy stuff the next day and get right back on track.

Regards,
    Bruce