Healthy snack advice

Options
I joined a weight loss challange and well the last weigh-in is Oct. 4, this Tuesday. I know what healthy snacks are but wanting tips on what to take for a "healthy snack" any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I keep the Pure Protein bars for snacks and chocolate cravings. I don't eat the whole thing unless I am starving. I like how convenient they are.
  • rag5051
    rag5051 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well the biggest piece of advice I can give is to eat smaller meals, more times throughout the day. That being said... it's all about portion control. Some of the snacks I try to stick with are: carrots, pretzels, wheat bread (a slice or two), cucumbers, nuts. I work a retail job and with the nuts it was hard to make sure that I was only eating one serving at a time from one of those tins that they come in. What I did was get some zip lock bags and before I even started eating the nuts I separated them into serving size baggies. Made it so much easier to quickly grab on a break :)
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I love edamame (spelling?) for a snack.
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    I keep things around like fresh fruits or fresh veggies, a small fuji apple only has like 60 calories, and it has natural sugar, or fresh strawberries, blueberries. I buy from a farmers market! Yogurt, and 100 calorie packs. Those are just some of my preferences. Also here they have these things that are 100% puree fruit, only have 50 or 60 calories, I put these in my sons lunch box, and eat them myself after I workout at the gym.
  • christineanne8
    Options
    Fat free vanilla yogurt (kroger or walmart brand are good), blue diamond almonds, carrot sticks & salsa, a cup of red grapes, wasa light n' crispy wafers with 1 tablespoon of fat free cream cheese and thinly sliced cucumber, fiber one bar. I'm big on taking a snack every day so I don't over eat during regular meals. Plus I get bored easily so I try and pick a new snack each day that is 150 - 100 calories (or less). Hope these options help! :)
  • kadoodle76
    Options
    nuts and pretzals if I want salty stuff and fruit or yogurt or dark chocolate if I want sweets
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

That's a very broad question - depends what food you like. Fruit and vegetables are low in calories i.e. carrot sticks, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes. Eat the fruit n veg you like. Bananas are quite high in calories and treat veges like potatoes as carbs not veges.

Otherwise, the world is crammed full of snacks - just go to the supermarket and start reading labels! I eat things like mini kids packs of light chips or corn or rice snacks for savoury and things like low calorie (but not full of fake stuff) museli (granola) bars for sweet.

Nuts and dried fruit seem healthy but are high in calories. A few nuts are quite filling, but you'd be better off eating fresh fruit rather than dried. I do eat craisens instead of sweets though.

For the odd chocolate craving, I eat chocolate fish - marshmallow covered in a thin layer of dark choc. Another idea would be snack sized bars (as long as you can stick to just one!). Airy ones are best, rather than solid choc and caramel and nuts.

I also have hot drinks with almost all my snacks to bulk them out a bit (I drink decaf coffee...)

There's a few ideas, hope that helps. :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I love mini rice cakes, popcorn,yogurt, fruit, special K bars,
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks are raw almonds (I keep a zip lock baggie in my purse, car, and lunch box) I count out 13 almonds, which is half of a serving, and that has 80 calories, but if I am going to have a while before I can eat lunch or dinner then I'll count out 26. That will fill you up for a little while. Also I eat a low fat mozzarella cheese stick, 60 calories. So usually when I eat 13 almonds I eat the cheese with it. I also eat a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a cup of red grapes. That's about 200 calories. Carrot sticks with my low fat homemade ranch. Fruits make good portable snacks. Odwalla makes a sweet and salty almond bar that is 220 calories, and lower in carbs than the rest of their bars. I usually try to keep my snack around 150-200 calories, and eat a couple throughout the day. I hope this helps some.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    i get 1 ( if its lrg ) or 2 squares of dark chocolate and melt it in the microwave. while its melting chop some fresh fruit
    dip and enjoy.
    you'll be amazed how far 1 square of dark chocolate goes. I have just dipped one apple and one pear and still have some left which i will cover and remelt next time!
    satisfying but healthy

oranges, bananas, apples and pears all work
    and if your flush strawberries blueberries mango pineapple ....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like peanut m&m's, so what i do is put a 1/4 cup of them in a container, with equal servings of almonds and crasins. makes a nice trail mix that i enjoy as a mid day snack. its a way to get my chocolate fix too.
  • alirae75
    Options
    It depends on how you are eating. I try to eat 3 meals a day with a morning and afternoon snack. Both snacks have a carb and a protein. Greek yogurt counts for both. Sometimes I'll do nuts with some fruit. I only allow myself to have nuts every other day due to the high fat content. I do a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. I'll also do a piece of cheese for the protein.

Good luck!