New to site!! Considering acacia berries and fat burner???

Options
I am new to the site and while I know that eating less and moving more is the key to weight loss, I can't help wonder about these acacia berries and fat burner I hear about. If Oprah, Dr. Oz, Rachael Ray and The Early Show are promoting it, it must be okay right? The worry I have is that it can cause medical issues, I have never taken any kind of weight loss pills. Too afraid of side affects, maybe even life threatening. The fat burner says it takes years of sludge off of your colon. YUCK. Can anything be safe that is going to do that?!! Just curious about what anyone may think and if anyone has ever asked their doctor about these products. Have already lost 9 pounds on my own in 2 weeks. Only 75 more to go before vacation in Nov!!!! Good luck everyone!

Replies

• zippitydo
    zippitydo Posts: 62
    Options
    I am new to the site and while I know that eating less and moving more is the key to weight loss, I can't help wonder about these acacia berries and fat burner I hear about. If Oprah, Dr. Oz, Rachael Ray and The Early Show are promoting it, it must be okay right? The worry I have is that it can cause medical issues, I have never taken any kind of weight loss pills. Too afraid of side affects, maybe even life threatening. The fat burner says it takes years of sludge off of your colon. YUCK. Can anything be safe that is going to do that?!! Just curious about what anyone may think and if anyone has ever asked their doctor about these products. Have already lost 9 pounds on my own in 2 weeks. Only 75 more to go before vacation in Nov!!!! Good luck everyone!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i say keep on doing what you are doing! :drinker:

i have never tried the berries. there have been different posts about them. from what i remember, the advise was DO NOT purchase the 'free trial' with the fat burner because it costs upwards of $75 and you dont ever get the pills then they keep deducting from your account. DO go to the health food store and pick up some there (GNC, Whole Foods, etc) because its cheaper and you dont get ripped off.

thats all i got! good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    9lbs in 2 weeks is a great start!! Congrats!

Id say steer clear of the acai berry promises. I havent heard good things about it in terms of losing weight from anyone who has tried it so it sounds like a scam.

Following a good eating and exercise plan is definitely the way to go and this site has alot of very friendly people who are motivational and inspiring.

Welcome to MFP!!!
  • tomyhealth
    tomyhealth Posts: 181
    Options
    I did get caught up in the free trail and it did cost me. They do have them at GNC for much cheeper. I'm not sure if they work or not. I do know that with help from MFP I am loosing weight that has been haunting me for the last few years.:happy: Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I watched Oprah and Dr. Oz on the night they talked about Acai Berry. I don't remember them mentioning weight loss. What I do remember is them talking about its antioxidant properties. You are better off getting the juice from your local health food grocer.

You are doing great so far! Just keep doing what you are doing. I was very tempted to buy some sort of weight loss pill when I came back on in January and you know what? Didn't have to! Just don't give up. If you fall off the wagon just get back on again. You can do it!!:flowerforyou:

I love this site and I LOVE the love and support total strangers give each other. This has definitely helped me stay on track, even when things weren't going so well for me.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother.....it will cost you money, it could cause adverse effects that your afraid of, and it may not work.

That's the exact reason why they pay celebrities to endorse products, because people think they can trust a celebrity endorsement more than just some person off the street, but the reality is we don't know these celebrities any better than someone off the street, and they are getting paid to say what they say. Besides, look how much Oprah's weight has fluctuated over the years....I wouldn't try any weightloss product endorsed by her.

When it comes down to it, there is no quick weight loss miracle....even for things that work in the beginning, you're eventually going to get tired of paying for it and/or of putting mystery stuff into your body. Nine pounds is great so far, just stick with the plan and you'll do great!
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I'll tell you what works..................................Hard Work in the gym or on the road or home workout

Don't waste your money on some pill or berry or what ever the new blood sucker is.

Good luck
  • Tari
    Tari Posts: 4
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I've been active since Sunday and am really happy with this site.

I agree with the others that the "free" products end up (as usual) involving a long term agreement and costing more than you would pay getting them somewhere else.

I went to GNC and bought their Acaisplash at a 2 for 1 sale. This is a liquid made with the Acai berries plus some green tea and other berry extracts. It does not contain the chromium picolinate in the pills, but is a good source for receiving a lot of the healthy vitamins and minerals which I think most of us are missing from not eating enough fruits. It has only 30 calories. I am using it as a food supplement for this reason. The concentrate has a rather bitter taste even when dilluted with the water so I have been using it in a Smoothie. The recipe is posted along with a bunch of other great ideas in the Recipe Messages under Smoothies.

Good luck.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I just know you will love this site if you don't already, I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone here is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: