Bab's Double Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

Options
healthybabs
healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
A great combination of chocolate and pumpkin with the earthiness of fall spices. Even if you are not a "baker" you can make these as the base is a simple boxed cake mix. I am usually a scratch baker but sometimes you just need a little shortcut.
Considering a bakery bought Chocolate Chip Muffin is about 650 calories has about 600 mg of sodium and 50 g of sugar ...this is an excellent alternative and much tastier!

Ingredients:

1. 1 Box Dark Chocolate Cake Mix
2. 2 eggs
3. 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
4. 1/2 of a small bag of dark chocolate chips
5. 1/4 c cold brewed coffee or espresso
6. 2 Tbsp agave nectar
7. 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
8. 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
9. 1 tsp ground cinnamon
10. pinch of ground clove

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. Spray 2 muffin pans with Pam
3. Put all ingredients (except the chips) in a large bowl and beat for 2 minutes. You can use a electric hand mixer for this.
4. Add the chocolate chips. You can add all of them or reserve a few for the top of each muffin if you wish.
5. Use a medium sized dasher and scoop into muffin pans
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes
7. Remove from oven, allow to cool for about 10 minutes and then remove them to a cooling rack.
8. Cool completely and then store in refrigerator or freeze them individually for snacks

Nutritional Information per Muffin:

Makes 20 regular sized muffins

Calories: 164
Carbs: 27
Fat: 6
Protein: 2
Sodium: 294
Sugar: 18

Replies

• sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome. Thanks, I'll try this one soon.
  • SCentanni
    SCentanni Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Imahottmess
    Options
    yummy, will have to use for a cheat snack.
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Yum, thanks!
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sounds great, thanks!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Bump...thanks for sharing!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OMG Bab these sound awesome!
  • healthybabs
    Options
    OMG Bab these sound awesome!

They are so moist and yummy. My husband is not a pumpkin lover but he is gobbling these up. The pumpkin by itself doesn't bring alot of flavor, it really comes thru nicely by adding the spices. I guess you could leave them out if you don't like those flavors but I really think they round out the flavors nicely. Might try them next time with some ancho chile powder or maybe even a spice cake mix instead of the chocolate. the possibilities are endless!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ivygirl328
    Options
    Bump
  • healthybabs
    Options
    So I revisited this recipe and tried it out with a yellow cake mix and a can of squash puree, added some more spices and left out the chocolate......brought them to the office and they were gone in about 3 minutes! I call that one a success.

This morning I made the chocolate variety again according to the recipe I provided in the original post. Before I added the chocolate chips I put a few on a parchment papered cookie sheet and flattened them out a bit. Baked for 12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack and then popped them in the freezer for a few minutes to get really cold. in the meantime I took a couple of tablespoons of frozen yogurt for each and made ice cream sandwiches out of them.

My husband has asked for a Whoopie Pie vairety and this will work really well. Need to devise a filling for them. If anybody has any suggestions for a whoopie pie filling that is pretty healthy, please let me know. The original recipe I have calls for marshmellow fluff, powdered sugar and butter. Don't really want to go in that direction.
  • megansmom311
    Options
    bump :smile: