Daily sugar allowance??

Options
Mine is set by MFP at 24g, which can go up a bit with exercise. Since I started tracking it I have been amazed at how difficult it is to stay low. Pre MFP I think I would have been having probably 100g a day! Has anyone found success by watching sugar intake?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    success in my mind, not in my food diary. I have around 100g daily of sugar. it is something I KNOW I should consume less of. It is easy for me to have 30g sugar days when I prepare all of my meals and really give it my best shot. It is not easy however, to do that sort of effort every day.

It is something I am working on, but it is a very slow process.
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of my weight loss journey I had a friend that was a trainer tell me to stay under 30 grams but I find that very difficult to do. I haven't worried about it too much and have still had great weight loss.

I have been consuming between 35-45 grams a day.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Just eating fruits or having milk pushes me over the sugar limit....It's hard to avoid going over...and I still have been losing so I don't worry about it too much.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I have successfully ignored the sugar allowance for the past six months and I have had no problems. I personally think it's set too low for most people. If you want fruit, EAT IT!
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    success in my mind, not in my food diary. I have around 100g daily of sugar. it is something I KNOW I should consume less of. It is easy for me to have 30g sugar days when I prepare all of my meals and really give it my best shot. It is not easy however, to do that sort of effort every day.

It is something I am working on, but it is a very slow process.

I agree, before MFP, I never had a clue how much sugar I was consuming, after MFP, I realized I was consuming at least 100g of sugar. If I eat home cooked meals snack on veggies and fruit, I manage to keep it under or a lot less than what I was normally consuming. Processed food and fast food I have found, after tracking it on MFP, is what drives up the number.
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just eating fruits or having milk pushes me over the sugar limit....It's hard to avoid going over...and I still have been losing so I don't worry about it too much.

Same here! Frustrating because fruit and milk are good for you.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Watching the sugar intake has worked for me. I keep it under 15g, six days out of the week -- it is hard, but limiting the fruit and cutting out anything processed has helped.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    eh i always go a bit over. My muesli has sugar from the dried fruits. My piece of fruit has sugar. my small row of dark chocolate has sugar.
    doesnt bother me, it is set very low. what i eat is healthy so am not bothered.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Google "147 Ways Sugar Ruins Your Health" and read all about it. I don't eat sugar. I have one apple every couple of weeks. Carrots are now sweet to me. It's now very EASY to stay away - and I was a "sugar-holic". All of you can do it and it can become easy. The more you make right food choices and the longer you go the easier it becomes. Sugar is BAD for your health. Just think about the quality of life you want as you get older. What we eat today becomes the body we live in tomorrow...
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am consistently about three-times-over my sugar allowance for the day. Some of it comes from refined sugar (I need a little something sweet after dinner!), but most of it comes from yogurt and fruit. So I try to not worry too much, especially since I am pretty consistently under my overall carbohydrate goal for the day!
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    sugar was my thing until i started watching my intake on mfp. i still go over but not nearley as much! its hard.....::devil:
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have adjusted my sugar allowance to 60g just to allow for fruits and other random sugars. I think the thing with sugar is to just not let it get out of control. Mostly look out for high fructose corn syrup and the artificial and "hidden" sugars. There are some sugars (like sugar alcohols) that don't register on food labels as sugar, but our body metabolizes it the same. Look at food labels, and don't eat anything that has more than about 6g of sugar, unless its fruit or something like that. I really believe (and many will disagree) that fructose is simply different from table sugar, and you don't have to worry about it. I also think that more people have a certain degree of lactose intolerance than they are aware, so large amounts of lactose should be avoided no matter who you are. But that is another humble opinion haha.