What to make with (mashed) canned pumpkin?

Options
Healthy_Hannah483
Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
Its pure pumpkin....not pie filling. And I don't really want to make pie or anything. Maybe a snack or something? I'm not really sure. So, can you help me out with some recipes?!!
Thanks! :D

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Mix it in with a yeast roll recipe...YUM!!
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to put it in my oatmeal in the morning with a little pumpkin pie spice and splenda... DELISH!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    search for the pumpkin protein bars someone posted the other day; they sounded great. Also, here is my recipe for muffins -- it's saved in the food database so you can add to your diary if you make it.

LL HOMEMADE PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

yield: 28 muffins

Cal: 136, Carb: 22, Fat: 4, Pro: 3, Fiber: 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix all ingredients:

3 large eggs
    1 1/3 c. sugar
    1/4 c. oil
    3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
    2 c. pumpkin puree
    3 c. all purpose flour
    2 t. baking powder
    2 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt
    3/4 t. cinnamon
    2 t. vanilla
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts
    1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)

Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray. Use standard ice cream scoop (the kind with a lever) to evenly distribute batter -- level scoops should get you 28 muffins.

Bake 15 minutes, cool in pans on rack 10 minutes and then remove.

blessings.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I mix it in my oatmeal and in my greek yogurt. Just add some pumpkin pie spice and walnuts to either one -- easy peasy
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I just made Mexican Pumpkin soup for dinner. It was delicious and fat free. It tastes sort of like tortilla soup or posole. If you want the recipe, drop me a message.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    ooh look this is posted just a little while ago, and has a photo -- looks good:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/68473-ribbon-pumpkin-bread
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe a few weeks ago. It's quite tasty. I really enjoy it. It's from my running magazine.

Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake

1/3 cup (75 ml) chilled water
    1 scoop (30 g) vanilla flavoured protein powder (I use sugar free)
    1/4 cup (60 ml) pure pumpkin puree
    1 tbsp. (15 ml) liquid honey
    1 tsp. (5 ml) finely grated orange zest
    1 tsp (5 ml) grated fresh ginger
    1/4 tsp. (1 ml) ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. (1 ml) ground cardamom
    2 ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until combined.

Per Serving:

200 Calories
    0 g Fat
    12 g Protein
    40 g Carbohydrates
    6 g Fibre
    161 mg Sodium
    18 g Sugar *estimated*

The sugar wasn't listed in the recipe but I use a sugar free powder, the pumpkin is 2 g and the honey is 16 g. I guess you could leave the honey out for a lower sugar version. It really doesn't need it, or maybe even half the amount......
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I put a half cup with vanilla protein powder plus pumkin pies spices..mix in blender with ice and you have a pumpkin protein shake.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I like to use mashed pumpkin or sweet potatoes in place if oil in many baked goods. Works well with boxed brownie mix - make them according to the package directions, just use the pumpkin in place of the oil.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin dump cake
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Low-Fat Pumpkin Banana Bread (by Fiona Hayes on www.lowfatcooking.about.com)

Ingredients:

1 mashed ripe banana
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 large egg
    2 egg whites
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8 1/2 X 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
    Place mashed banana, pumpkin puree, oil, egg and egg whites in a large bowl. Beat with an electronic mixer on low speed.

Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to banana and pumpkin mixture and beat until just moist.

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick placed in center comes out clean.

Serves 12.

Per Serving: Calories 196, Calories from Fat 48, Total Fat 5.3g (sat 0.5g), Cholesterol 18mg, Sodium 206mg, Carbohydrate 33.3g, Fiber 1.6g, Protein 3.7g
  • amclubb
    Options
    Yummy Pumpkin Cupcakes!!! The recipe should be in the recipe database!! :-)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I just made pumpkin cobbler, it was yummy! Pumpkin fruit dip, Pumpkin soup, brownies (use only pumpkin and brownie mix, no egg or oil or water), cupcakes using pumpkin (cake mix, water and pumpkin), pumpkin pudding, ravioli, lasagna...soo many options!

ETA: Pumpkin pancakes, cookies, crepes, spice cake with pumpkin cream cheese frosting, waffles, muffins....

Pumpkin is great for sweet or savory!
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You can mix it with a dry cake mix and 1/3 cup water. Bake in desired shape; cake pans, cup cakes, or loaf pan. Follow baking instructions from cake box for time and temp.

Eat and enjoy. Chocolate and spice mixes work very well. I add espresso powder and additional cocoa to chocolate cake mix. Additional cinnamon to a spice cake mix. It comes out dense but I like it like that.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Tonight I made SkinnyTaste Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/10/pumpkin-banana-bread.html
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    All of this sounds soooo yummy! thanks everyone (:
  • renee474
    renee474 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to put it in my oatmeal in the morning with a little pumpkin pie spice and splenda... DELISH!!
    I do this too. It is sooo delicious. I don't eat plain oatmeal anymore.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've got an extra can of stuff around here somewhere. I might try the shake idea. Sounds yummy.
  • rosieraven
    rosieraven Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can make it into granola. Also, I have an awesome scone recipe that I can adapt for pumpkin for you. :)