Side Dish Suggestions

Options
Picklepower
Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
So I am planning on making this for dinner tomorrow http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/149164-crockpot-pineapple-chicken-80-cal-per-ck-breast

I've not tried it yet but think it sounds yummy.

My problem with it (and in my entire life) is that the only thing I can ever think of as a side dish is potatoes. I know that there are many other things in this world to serve as complements to meals it's just that I grew up in a "meat and potatoes" kinda house.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things that might go well with this recipe?

Thanks in advance =)

Replies

• JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    I make a similar dish, but add bell pepper and cherries to it. I put it over brown rice.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A hot vegetable like broccoli or cauliflower, plus an assortment of raw veggies and/or a green salad. If you need a "soak up the sauce" kind of side dish, try quinoa (cooks like rice, but has more protein and is not as glycemic). I was raised like that, too--meat, potatoes, and a starchy vegetable like peas, beans, or corn. It's really hard to convince my 80+ mother that we can have dinner without potatoes or rice.
  • Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A hot vegetable like broccoli or cauliflower, plus an assortment of raw veggies and/or a green salad. I was raised like that too--meat, potatoes, and a starchy vegetable like peas, beans, or corn. It's really hard to convince my 80+ mother that we can have dinner without potatoes or rice.

I used to date a guy who's mother was a vegetarian...and when my mom would ask what we had for dinner she'd say "umm...Where's your meat?" She couldn't understand how you could have a meal with no meat in it...lol :laugh:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Make mashed cauliflower instead --- just as yummy! I usually mix in some greek yogurt and spices and parmesan.

Roasting veggies is really easy ---- sweet potatoes are great too! Even baked sweet potato fries...

PS Ditto on the Quinoa mention above - LOVE IT! Google recipes --- there are tons.
  • efriling
    efriling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, rice, pasta, bread....yeah all the starches, but I don't eat them everyday with every meal now. One thing that I have found that I LOVE is the Steamfresh packs of veggies in the freezer section by Birdseye. They have all different varieties (I choose just the veggies, not the ones in sauce) and you just pop the whole bag from the freezer directly in the microwave for around 5 minutes, and they steam right in the bag. Broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, snap peas, carrots, etc. I take them out and sprinkle some Sodium-free Cavendar's (greek seasoning blend) on them and go to town! I'm big on convenience and the entire 12 oz. bag is around 120-140 cals depending on the veggie and goes great with whatever your lean protein is that evening, I think it'd work well with this dish. If you have room for it in your calories for the day, you could also include a serving of brown rice. Best of luck- let us know how the Hawaiian Chicken turns out! :tongue: