Personal Trainers

Options
I joined LA Fitness in February. They gave me a free personal trainer session. Which was a quick workout of what to expect plus a huge sales pitch.

It was so expensive and you have to sign a 12 month contract. Anyone know where to find a decent personal trainer. The guy told me because my weight is so high. That I need to bring my lean body mass down and to do that for 6 months then add cardio. He told me it would take 19 months to get to my goal weight. Which was so disappointing.

I just want to learn what I need to do ..ie toning up and losing weight at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I joined LA Fitness in February. They gave me a free personal trainer session. Which was a quick workout of what to expect plus a huge sales pitch.

It was so expensive and you have to sign a 12 month contract. Anyone know where to find a decent personal trainer. The guy told me because my weight is so high. That I need to bring my lean body mass down and to do that for 6 months then add cardio. He told me it would take 19 months to get to my goal weight. Which was so disappointing.

I just want to learn what I need to do ..ie toning up and losing weight at the same time.

Any suggestions?
  • rebcolorado
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but that sounds like greed talking. I go to Lifetime Fitness and I met a lady that has lost over 60 lbs from just doing the (free) classes that are offered. It has been pretty amazing to watch her transformation. It is amazing ot see how much her endurance has been built up during this time - in fact on Tuesday I saw her running her butt off on the treadmill.
    I would talk to your doctor and see what they have to say.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Well I go to the Zone, and we got two free sessions with a trainer! Plus the trainer I already knew so he works me out for free other than that his sessions are 50 bucks an hour. My gym has classes that are included in your monthly fee and you can cancel when you like for 35 bucks.

Talk to your doctor and see what he says, but I can tell you to do cardio, cardio, cardio then later start to add weights.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I just met with a "free" personal trainer last week. The guy was a ding dong & was telling me a bunch of blah blah blah to get me to buy sessions. Don't listen to him! If you want to find a personal trainer, check out craigslist for some listings.

I am a firm believer that you can do this on your own. Educate yourself by reading articles online, get some books, ask MFP members for suggestions. Go to the gym & figure out the machines. Get a gym buddy & work out together! YOU can do this without a personal trainer. If you aren't where you want to be in a year, then re-entertain the idea, but I think you can go a long way without them. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    He told you no cardio? That to me is kind of weird. I'd think you could at least start walking. Depending on what shape you're in you could start with something as small as 10 min and work your way up. Adding 5min every week.

What was his plan for you? Come to the gym and watch other people. Or was he going to start you with strength training only?

The best part about walking is it's free, you can do it outside.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    The guy told me because my weight is so high. That I need to bring my lean body mass down and to do that for 6 months then add cardio.

Wow... Um... really? He wants you to just lift weights for 6 months? That seems completely ridiculous to me... cardio is how you lose body fat. Tons and tons of cardio. Not only that, it will improve your heart health. Why would he tell you to wait 6 months before experiencing those benefits?

I totally agree with keiko on the walking.... Start there! You can even track your distance by going to www.geodistance.com Walking is great exercise & stress relief and requires no special equipment! I LOVE walking! :flowerforyou:
  • BombolinaM
    Options
    I agree. It was the 1st time I had ever met with a personal trainer. I left feeling disappointed and questioning what he said.

Right now I walk the treadmill and try the other machines. They offer great classes but I work until 7pm and miss them. I watch the biggest loser and what an inspiration. But they are dedicating the majority of there day working out.
  • becca1978
    becca1978 Posts: 12
    Options
    You need to do cardio and weights. I would look around for a new trainer. You need to take your weightloss 10 lbs at a time. If your start thinking about how long it's gonna take you will not stay focused. Why not just set mini goals for yourself. You will be able to stay focused that way. Maybe after a certain amount of weight loss give yourself a treat like a new pair of pants. I have lost over 60 lbs and only joined here when I had a little left to loose. I have been seing a personal trainer once a month for 2 years now and she is wonderful. She is very encouraging and changes up my gym routine once a month. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life. It was worth every penny.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I have been seing a personal trainer once a month for 2 years now and she is wonderful. She is very encouraging and changes up my gym routine once a month. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life. It was worth every penny.

That's a great way to do it! The PT that I met with wanted me 3x/week at $40 a crack. Riiiiight.
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    I have been working out for 10 years and have never paid for a personal trainer. The best advice I can offer is to try and get to those classes your gym offers. The YMCA (where I work out) and many other gyms offer cardio classes, strength classes, zumba, pilates, yoga, etc... and those classes are free with your membership. So basically you get to work out with a trainer for free. The trainers always cue you on the proper form, etc.. Once you get that down you can go into the weight room with confidence. Read fitness magazines for tips also (you can borrow them for free at your local library). I'm a big fan of Oxygen Magazine! Good luck!:happy:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I used to work for LA Fitness I hated the part about selling some of those guy could sell ice to eskimos

If your looking for a personal trainer have some questions ask for some Credentials the person you sign with at LA Fitness is not the person who will train you.

As a presonal trainer I take a lot of knocks, there are some people who can go in to the gym and come up with a work out plan some don't want to be bothered. It's your money they used to offer some 3 month and 6 month plans but I have not been there in the last 6 months.

If you want a crappy trainer the 40 bucks an hour sounds about what your going to pay, the good trainers the ones that will change your whole out look on working out, How much would you pay?

anyway your the buyer don't be sold, on some guy talking out his *kitten*
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I wanted a personal trainer to move me to the next level, and challenge me. I went to the manager and said " I want a woman with 5+ years experience, understands my neck injury, will push me within a certain limit, and who knows her stuff"

He set me up the the perfect trainer.

You need to go to the manager of the gym and tell him you do not want to hurt yourself in his equipment and you need a certified trainer to show you the proper form to use HIS equipment.

Tell him you must have someone who is experienced with someone with your issues.

Good luck honey! I am so proud of you for taking this first step!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I used to work for LA Fitness I hated the part about selling some of those guy could sell ice to eskimos

If your looking for a personal trainer have some questions ask for some Credentials the person you sign with at LA Fitness is not the person who will train you.

As a presonal trainer I take a lot of knocks, there are some people who can go in to the gym and come up with a work out plan some don't want to be bothered. It's your money they used to offer some 3 month and 6 month plans but I have not been there in the last 6 months.

If you want a crappy trainer the 40 bucks an hour sounds about what your going to pay, the good trainers the ones that will change your whole out look on working out, How much would you pay?

anyway your the buyer don't be sold, on some guy talking out his *kitten*

Well, I couldnt have said it better myself JB
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Please dont be discouraged about the time it will take to lose weight. If you are changing your mind set, truly making a lifstyle change, you will be so much happier 10 months from now! I have lost 30 pounds and increased my level of fitness 10 fold. I have not regretted the change ONE time in this year.

I know it seems like a long way away............but 1 year will be here either way!! You can either say HEY I lost 50 pounds or damn, I am still sitting here on my couch!!

You can do this. Once day at a time!!
  • danigirl
    danigirl Posts: 17
    Options
    Unfortunately there are some trainers that just suck. You really want to do both cardio and weights. I'm not sure what you're doing eating wise, but try to aim for a clean eating lifestyle. I'm always looking for new articles and books to help me along the way ad these are my favorites- hopefully they can help you too! And if you have Netflix you can try different workouts at home too. If you can get to the classes at gyms it will help with variety and avoiding boredom. Don't forget a good multivitamin too and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

The Eat Clean Diet - by Tosca Reno
    Clean Eating Magazine
    Cooking Light Magazine or Cooking Books

Oxygen Magazine
    Muscle & Fitness Hers- Magazine
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of PT hate here! :laugh:

Keep in mind that, while you're paying the $40 for an hour, they aren't getting all of that. They have to charge enough to make money after the gym has taken it's overhead, which can be around 50%. If you only got 50% of your paycheck, wouldn't you want that to still be enough to feed you?

However, I do agree that you need to ask for credentials--who they're certified with, how long they've been certified, whether they've worked with special populations, and any competitions or specialties they may have. Meeting with a quality trainer just once a month can make a big difference. They can perform assessments you won't have access to on your own, write you programs, and offer general advice on form and sometimes diet.

No quality trainer will sugar coat your situation. If you have an appreciable amount of body fat, it's going to take a long time to lose it in a safe way. It took a long time to put it on, too.There will be weeks in which you'll lose absolutely nothing. You have to have patience and look at this realistically. By the math, it WILL take 19 months to lose 77 lbs assuming you lose 1 pound every week. But hormonally, it could take more or less time.
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    If I may add on to the list of self-education resources for eating well that Dani started, I would recommend two additional books to you:

"Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating" by Walter Willett, MD (ISBN 9780316787086) (If you get no other book, get this one, and read it cover-to-cover - a really excellent, thorough resource)

"Women's Health Daily Fix: A Handbook of Healthy Habits for the Nutrition-Savvy Working Girl" by Alexa Fishback, MS, RD (ISBN 9781594868474)

No need for any additional comment. I think everyone else has already given you very sound advice on what seems to me to be a fairly bogus personal trainer situation. Best of luck to you!
  • BombolinaM
    Options
    I have nothing against personal trainers. The PT that gave me the information was a jerk. Not personal at all. He was more like a salesman. Not someone that would inspire me. What made me mad was how he was trying to pressure me into signing. He was honest with me and I was fine with that. I know I am fat. LOL That's why I am trying to better myself.

But he was like a used car salesman or in time share sales. I finally said to him, "Obviously I joined the gym and came here to inquire about getting a personal trainer to lose weight" I am not interested right now but down the road I may be. As you all have said the free classes are good to try. Gaining weight is easy. Losing weight is the challenge but the results are so worth it.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Wow, lots of PT hate here! :laugh:

Keep in mind that, while you're paying the $40 for an hour, they aren't getting all of that. They have to charge enough to make money after the gym has taken it's overhead, which can be around 50%. If you only got 50% of your paycheck, wouldn't you want that to still be enough to feed you?

However, I do agree that you need to ask for credentials--who they're certified with, how long they've been certified, whether they've worked with special populations, and any competitions or specialties they may have. Meeting with a quality trainer just once a month can make a big difference. They can perform assessments you won't have access to on your own, write you programs, and offer general advice on form and sometimes diet.

No quality trainer will sugar coat your situation. If you have an appreciable amount of body fat, it's going to take a long time to lose it in a safe way. It took a long time to put it on, too.There will be weeks in which you'll lose absolutely nothing. You have to have patience and look at this realistically. By the math, it WILL take 19 months to lose 77 lbs assuming you lose 1 pound every week. But hormonally, it could take more or less time.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my personal trainer................anyone got 500 bucks I can borrow to hire her for another 12 sessions???????????:laugh: :laugh:
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I have been using a personal trainer for almost a year now and I absolutely LOVE him! I only do weight training with him, and it has worked out pretty well for me since I am pretty motivated and have the power to control my own destiny with cardio. But I think my experience with finding my trainer may help.

I did A LOT of research. I have had surgery on both of my knees so I am VERY picky about who I work with. I require someone with medical training/experience or some sort of medical degree.

In the course of my research, I found that trainers generally fall into two categories, (1) they work for a major gym like Bally; or (2) they have their own gym/facility where they only do personal training. I believe that trainers in major gyms are just ok. Generally they do not have all of the credentials that a "real" trainer should have. That is something I cannot stress enough, ALWAYS find out what certifications they have. Pretty much any schmuck can become a trainer if they pass a test. You want someone who has something more than just the minimum. What exactly those certs are escape me at the moment, but someone else might be able to add about that.

I ended up finding my trainer with a little bit of diligence and some luck! He owns his own small gym in New Orleans, has been in business for 15 years, has almost every degree in exercise physiology you can have, and I absolutely adore him! He is part of a large network of trainers who use the "super-slow" weight training method. The man had even written articles and books in medical journals. He did not try to sell me at all, actually he told me that with the amount of weight that I push with him, I would only be able to do once a week.

Its really important that you connect with your trainer. While I may only do weight training with him, I ask him for advice about my cardio and nutrition all the time. Since I have been working with him, I have lost 21 pounds.

So after my REALLY long rant, do the research and find someone who's right for YOU. Most trainers offer their first session free. If you don't click, then move on. And make sure to ask about certifications, it really can make a difference between a schmuck and a really good trainer.