The Negative Aspects of NSV's (Non Scale Victories)

Options
Please don't all shoot me at once! Over the last few weeks I have been getting compliments from lots of people about how much weight i've lost.. And i'm buzzing because of it! However as weird as this sounds, each compliment is making me feel lazy and work less harder in the gym! I feel like I can relax for a bit and cause i'm kind of looking OK & if needs be I can always make adjustments if things go wrong!

What I need is people still give me a kick up the backside. The finish line is still a long way ahead & I dont wanna go back to my old ways and regain this weight, cause i'm now 'comfortable'

Some help me out of this mindset and get me motivated again please!

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'd say I agree with this a little. Seems like any time I hit some milestone, I use it as an excuse to backslide (sometimes worse than others).
  • JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I saw this somewhere.... "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    well, if you want... we can start calling your husky or chubby or soemthing to make you feel like your old self again to give you that kick in the pants that you need :)
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Seems like you might have the wrong definition of "NSV". You didn't mention any negative aspects of NSVs, but rather negative aspects of SVs. Your SCALE VICTORIES mean you're losing weight, and the weight loss is being noticed and complimented. The compliments are not NSVs. A NSV is more like those pants you haven't been able to wear for years finally fitting. If you don't want the compliments maybe you should stop losing weight. But don't bash on the NSV. :D Deal?
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me a few times. Relaxed because I felt like I was getting "okay."

Don'T DO IT!!

I'm here at MFP because of all those lazy weeks that turned into lazy months and gaining 20 pounds!!

Now get your butt in the gym and log that food :)
  • 44longcopse
    44longcopse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have started giving myself little treats when I reach certain targets. I bought myself a pedometer when I reached my first goal and when I loose another 3 pounds I am going to get a new exercise top. I also want some hand weight. . I find this is working better as motiviation for me.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oh, also setting a new goal Helps. Okay, I want to lose 5 pounds this month or 10 pounds this month (well,10 isn't realistic for me, but some other people can do that).

Like, I have family coming in to town in 3 weeks.... I want to lose 3 pounds by then. Don't want people who haven't seen me in a while to say secretly, "she has gained a lot of weight." That gives me a bit of push to make it happen.

Any get-togethers? Weddings? Or *gasp* high school reunions? Or maybe there is something else fun coming up that you can set a small goal for? :)
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Dam right! thanks guys. Im gonna be setting a new goal! Need to shift more weight between now and christmas for a staff party in Paris! What's a realistic target to set?
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'd say I agree with this a little. Seems like any time I hit some milestone, I use it as an excuse to backslide (sometimes worse than others).

Ugh, I do the same thing. Every time I hit one of my mini-goals, I end up having a higher calorie/almost "maintenance day" a day or two later.

Right now my negative NSV's are when my pants get too loose. I'm poor and I can't afford new pants as quick as I've been needing them.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

I prefer "Nothing tastes as good as HEALTHY feels." I've had that quote on my profile since I started MFP back in March. You can be super skinny and still be unfit and unhealthy. Healthy is what counts.
  • Bluestar083
    Options

I prefer "Nothing tastes as good as HEALTHY feels." I've had that quote on my profile since I started MFP back in March. You can be super skinny and still be unfit and unhealthy. Healthy is what counts.

Assomeone who had a borderline anorexia for 18 months as a teenager I agree. Healthy is better to me than skinny but being obsessed, depressed and stupid from starving myself.
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law gave me three new pairs of size six pants. She told me how great I was doing losing weight and thought I would fit into them soon. They were 4 sizes to small. I love how she both made me feel good and kept me going strong at the same time. :smile: Oh btw I can now fit into the pants although they are tight on me.:bigsmile:
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Along with another poster's comment on making new goals... you could also join a challenge on here to keep you motivated. Only if you're into that idea of course.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This is why I have a hard time even weighing in more than once a month! I lose some weight in 1 week, and I'm like, "OK, cheat meal time!" But if I just keep working out hard and eating right all month long I would get more results with self-sabotage.

I like to get the compliments and other NSV's all month long, but I just can't weigh in more than once a month without driving myself insane.