People that work night shift

Options
So how do you chart your calories? When is your start point and your end point? Please help because I am confused to how to keep up with my calorie totals.

Replies

• Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    From the time I wake until I go to sleep. My day is usually from 3 p.m. til about 5 a.m.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I break my day into time slots.

10pm (day before) - 8am
    8am - 4pm
    4-10pm
    Cheating

If you want to friend me you can take a look at how it works out.

I normally get up about 10am for my midnight shift. I get off at 8am which is the marker for that.
  • kendallliz
    Options
    My calories for the day start at Mn and what I eat I usually count it towards my breakfast meal. Hope that helps :)
  • xStellar
    xStellar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I worked nights (730p - 8a) I would log my calories from the time I wake up until I go to sleep, I would wake up around 5Pm and go to sleep around 930am, count everything on the date it was when I woke up. Ex if I woke up 5pm Monday and went to sleep 9am Tuesday, everything would count under Monday.

My advice is to try to stick to a "normal" schedule. Even on your days off, try to stay on the same schedule. I found that when I would try to change my sleep pattern on my days off to be awake during the day time I would mess up my diet and get bloated.
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I work a 2 wk rotation of nights so I start my count day at 12 am. An hr after my shift starts is usually when I eat my breakfast as I sleep in the evening before my shift.... Hope this is helpful.
  • Akinkopf
    Akinkopf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. That helps a lot.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    So how do you chart your calories? When is your start point and your end point? Please help because I am confused to how to keep up with my calorie totals.

i actually change back and forth between nights and days. i changed meal names to times. go to settings at the top of your screen, and then scroll down to diary settings. please refer to my diary for more details. oh, and i don't have a 12am-4am category cuz eating at those hours can make me nauseous.
  • ImNotStarving
    Options
    I used to work the night shift. I would go from like 4am to 4pm, and then start a new day of calorie counting.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    with 12 hour night shifts, 3 days on 3 days off. I found it easiest to go from midnight to midnight.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From the time I wake up til the time I go to bed. I don't pay attention to the time on the clock - just when MY day starts (usually around noon) and when my day ends (usually around 2-4am).

:)
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    So I start night duty at 9pm (and my day has been normal as it's first night). my middnight All Bran is considered the next day's breakfast. My 4am yoghurt-morning tea. My 8am apple-snack. I sleep til 4pm then have breakfast-Lunch on MFP. Dinner is dinner.
    And then I start again!
  • Marazene
    Options
    i actually change back and forth between nights and days. i changed meal names to times. go to settings at the top of your screen, and then scroll down to diary settings. please refer to my diary for more details. oh, and i don't have a 12am-4am category cuz eating at those hours can make me nauseous.

I do the same thing, I work a 2 week night / day rotation. 12 hour shifts. If im on nights I divide my food intake up.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I changed my times to before work, during work and after work. I also went into my settings and changed my time zone so that instead of ending at midnight eastern it's actually like 2 am. That gives me time to get home and have fruit or whatever after work and still get it in same "day" as my sleeping schedule
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    8p-630a. I start my breakfast around 2am and my dinner is around 8:30p, I don't have times down, just breakfast, lunch, dinner.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do midnight to midnight. I usually start work at 11:30 pm, and will generally just have an apple and coffee over night, so when I go home at 7:30 am I have breakfast, go to bed, wake up have dinner at dinner time, an d "lunch" before I leave for work. I generally hit the gym around 6pm.
  • Izzy62
    Izzy62 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    From the time I wake up til the time I go to bed. I don't pay attention to the time on the clock - just when MY day starts (usually around noon) and when my day ends (usually around 2-4am).

:)

This ^^
    It means sometimes my days look way over and sometimes very short of calories, but working rotating shifts I found this the easiest way to carry on xx
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I most definitely ignore the time on the clock. My day starts at 4pm when I wake up and ends around 9am when I go to sleep. My diary looks like a normal diary, it's just that most people don't realize that "breakfast" is at 4:30 in the afternoon and that dinner is at 4:00 in the morning on what would technically be the next day. But, my "day" isn't by the calendar, it's wake up-go to sleep.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    with 12 hour night shifts, 3 days on 3 days off. I found it easiest to go from midnight to midnight.
    ^
    This
  • melaniemarie486
    melaniemarie486 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I start my calories at midnight for each day... so usually I've eaten 2/3 of my calories for the day by 6 AM... I sleep then eat again when I wake up....I typically cannot wait until midnight hits, it's usually my biggest meal :)