Is it possible to gain in a deficit??

Options
Logically it seems the answer is a big no, but I have seen people posting on here saying that if you don't eat enough your body will grab calories and store them as fat even if you have a large deficit.

I can understand that possibly weight loss would be SLOWER with a large deficit, but surely it is just not possible to gain.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I did.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yeah it can be a gain unless you starve your body over a long period of time. Then when you do eat a regular amount you will put weight back on as well.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I would think that it would depend on several different variables. Personally, I can eat around 1500 cals with alot of whole grains and gain, then eat high fat, high protein and lower carbs around 1900 cal and lose. Really depends on if what you're eating causes your body to hold water. Not sure if I said that right, but you get the idea.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism slows on a large deficit so your body won't require as much energy. This makes you gain weight because your body holds on to all the fat it can for energy as well as everything you eat. If your body refuses to burn calories, you can gain weight.

Also, the fact that it happens proves that it's logically possible.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    For those who say yes - how does the body store fat in an energy deficit?? Either it's calories in v calories out or it isnt!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, and I've been thinking along the same lines. On days that I have a high calorie burn, I tend to fall three or four hundred calories short of my allowed calories. I haven't gained weight in the last couple of weeks, but I haven't lost, either. Starving people tend to get really skinny, except maybe for a bloated stomach. I'm having a little trouble figuring it out. I still seem to be gaining muscle, and I'm losing inches.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options
    For those who say yes - how does the body store fat in an energy deficit?? Either it's calories in v calories out or it isnt!

Oh, well excuse us for saying yes and speaking from experience. Maybe Google and figure it out yourself next time.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Your body slows down your metabolism in starvation mode so it's still calories in vs calories out.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Your body gets used to running on less and adapts to that, after your metabolism slows you don't have as much of a deficit because your body sees the low amount as normal and store anything else. Say you bump from 700 net calories to 1200, with a normal bmr of 1500 you would still show a deficit but you would gain weight because your metabolism is actually slower.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options

Oh, well excuse us for saying yes and speaking from experience. Maybe Google and figure it out yourself next time.
    [/quote

um I was just asking how it happens. I dont get how the body can "refuse to burn calories" - if that was the case why does that not happen in third world countries etc??
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options

[/quote

um I was just asking how it happens. I dont get how the body can "refuse to burn calories" - if that was the case why does that not happen in third world countries etc??

In third world countries they are literally often starving, and their bodies begin to "cannabalize" until they sometimes eventually starve to death. Where we have access to food, we tend not to get to that point unless there are underlying mental health issues.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

There is a BIG difference between having a calorie deficit and actually STARVING. When you eat at such a large deficit, your body makes up for it by slowing down so it won't have to use as many calories in a day. That's how you can gain. If it was really as simple as calories in and out, no one would ever plateau and losing weight would be easy-peasy.

Starving people's bodies have slowed metabolisms too, but they get so little nourishment the body is forced to "eat itself" to stay alive.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Better to start eating a bit more up to a healthier daily allowance - add in more fruits and veggies. Starving your body is not the answer.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

[/quote

Um, it had already been explained to you and comparing 1200 cal a day to third world countries is like comparing Nike's with stilletos. But if third world country is the look you're going for, by all means, do it. But instead of throwing your groceries and clothes away, ship them to the third world countries. I'm sure they would appreciate it since its not something they have unlimited access to.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    One can gain water weight in a calorie deficit with a high carb diet, it won't be much if any fat or muscle gain though.
    The way I see it, body weight is like a bucket beeing filled up with water with a garden hose. Our daily caloric burn and metabolism all combined is our TDEE, which is like a hole in the bucket constantly leaking water (or burning calories). If the hole has a greater capacity to leak water out (burn more calories) than the capacity of the garden hose filling the bucket (calories consumed), the bucket should not get filled (body should not gain solid weight).
  • chickielou
    Options
    I think if you deficit long enough, the muscle is the first to start depleating so you will definetly start losing weight on the scales. but if you only deficit on and off, on the off days the extra cals will be stored possibly causing a gain........this will be due to your metabolism slowing down in "starvation mode" I know we all are different so you do have to play around with what works for you, but its taken me a very long time to realise that I wasnt eating enough, which the whole concept was insane to me........but it was my journey and I had to work it out for myself........there is a fine line between gaining and losing as far as Ive learned
  • lorimur
    lorimur Posts: 30
    Options
    I am also one of those weird people that when I go on a diet....I have to eat more than I usually would...and that is such insane thinking that .....the opposite of what most people think about on a diet..!

I eat reasonably healthy...lots of salad, fish, chicken...a couple of yoghurts a day in the summer...and would always have some home made soup made in the winter months..and the occasional roast dinner etc..fairly standard stuff.......and yet a lot of days I really struggle to get to 1200 calories daily so....have some protein shakes on hand to try and build up my calories on those difficult days.

I have read quite a bit and yes...it is calories in vs calories out....but "good" calories rather than a packet of Jaffa Cakes...(which is why I simply don't buy them anymore)...and your body needs a mininimum number of calories just to stay alive...and the rest is used to fuel your engine....don't put fuel in your car...it won't go...don't put the sufficient amount of calories into your body....it won't burn them (and the difference between a human being and a car)....your body recognises what type of fuel you are giving it and uses it accordingly and when you don't refuel on a regular basis your body stores everything to use to keep the engine running on the days you don't refuel correctly or sufficiently so it always has reserves...(and to lose weight we have to find a way to burn the reserves).

The theory is the easy part...the hardest part is implement the fueling plan and stick to it when the push and pull and stress and time bandits make your 12.00hrs lunchtime not be possible until 16.00hrs so you don't bother as dinner is going to be at 19.00hrs...

Well this is only my personal opinion....so if anyone who is or has been in the same position has any great ideas on how to ensure sufficient calorie intake every day I would appreciate hearing about it.