ABS

Options
Hey guys,

Anyone know how to build nice ABS :) ? What to eat, what not to eat and what kind of exercises the most effective to build ABS.

Thanks!

Replies

• catclws
    catclws Posts: 15
    Options
    I had great results with Jillian Micheal's 6 week 6 pack abs.
    I eat low fat, low carb foods
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    When I was in my best shape(which was pretty amazing), I did not have a six pack.
    There is a genetic component that not everyone has.

I believe as a minimum, you have to be very lean and work your abs for about an hour a day.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You first have to reduce your body fat to a level where the muscle will show through. This is only done with a calorie deficit and exercise. Once you get to a decent bf%, weight lifting affects your core is best...not specifically "ab exercises" necessarily, but I like squats, deadlifts, and push-ups. These exercises will tone your whole body, but if you do them correctly without the use of weird machines in the gym, they will tighten and strengthen your ab muscles too.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I heard about that workout, but never tried. How many days you workout your ABS?
    I had great results with Jillian Micheal's 6 week 6 pack abs.
    I eat low fat, low carb foods
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    i read an article in Good Housekeeping that eating 10 grams of soluble fiber per day was supposed to help reduce belly fat, per a study at a university. I threw away the magazine, so- sorry, I don't recall which university it was.

Pilates 'hundreds' are a great way to work on those abs.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    What kind of weight lifting you meant? I do weight lifting and kettlebell workouts, but doesn't really feel in my abs :(
    You first have to reduce your body fat to a level where the muscle will show through. This is only done with a calorie deficit and exercise. Once you get to a decent bf%, weight lifting affects your core is best...not specifically "ab exercises" necessarily, but I like squats, deadlifts, and push-ups. These exercises will tone your whole body, but if you do them correctly without the use of weird machines in the gym, they will tighten and strengthen your ab muscles too.
  • shiloh015
    Options
    Definitely Pilates!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    When I was in my best shape(which was pretty amazing), I did not have a six pack.
    There is a genetic component that not everyone has.

I believe as a minimum, you have to be very lean and work your abs for about an hour a day.

Working out abs is not a requirement to have a six pack. I've got friends who are swimmers and runners never and do not do ab routines, yet have 8 packs. I had a six pack in jr. high before I ever started working out, it was because I was super skinny though.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts
    this and eat less food than you burn
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight lifting you meant? I do weight lifting and kettlebell workouts, but doesn't really feel in my abs :(

Compound, full body moves...squats, deadlifts, push-ups, etc. Not isolation moves like curls or kickbacks. If you lift HEAVY, then you are affecting your abs doing those movements.
  • cathy6566
    cathy6566 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I bought a book, which I've never used yet, gonna start this week. It's called "Busting your Butt and Gutt" written by Marty Tuley.
    It wasn't very expensive, it was only $14.95, I've looked at it tons of times, but now I think I'm ready for it. Good luck!!!!