Please look at my diary and tell me why I have only lost 1lb

Options
2»

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    If you are eating well, your goals are reasonable and you are still not losing, generally one or more of the following are the reason why:

1 ) You don't have the proper activity level selected. If you are sedentary and you choose active, your calories will be too high. If you are active and choose sedentary, you are eating too few calories. Be as accurate as possible in your selection.

2 ) You are not logging your food accurately. Do you weigh and measure everything? Do you double check labels and do you log every bite, even snacks while cooking or leftovers off the kid's plates? Don't guess or estimate, at least in the beginning. Studies have shown that people's estimates of their portion sizes was off by something like 20%. That could obliterate your deficit right there.

3) You aren't being accurate about your calorie burn during exercise. If you think you are strenuously exercising while holding a chat with the person on the next machine, chances are you're wrong.Use a heart rate monitor or be conservative in your logging, and even then, only eat 1/2 to 3/4 of them, leave a cushion for error. And if you are eating 1200 calories, and burning 1000, but NOT eating your exercise calories...your body is in panic mode. Eat...fuel...don't deprive yourself of it's necessary nutrients and food.

And lastly, be patient. My body doesn't show results of my dietary/exercise regimen for 10 days to 2 weeks. It's always been that way for me, maybe you are too.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Your diary is amazing....Lots of clean eating and staying on track with calories...You might be building muscle if you're lifting a lot of weights...I think you're right on track though
  • sschoolfield
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise caloies and have increased my water intake. It amazed me how quickly the weight started coming off after I increased my water intake. Hang in there, it will happen.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sounds a lot like me...started two weeks ago, lost 1.4kg by last Saturday, spent last Sat night away in a hotel so big dinner and buffet breakfast. Fair enough, I regained a little, lost a little, it crept up and down until finally this morning I'm down by 1.4kg again and weigh the same as I did last Saturday! I figure it will sort itself out, at least the overall trend is downwards.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    PS...re your diary, the thing that struck me was the lack of veggies!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your calorie counts? Yesterday you logged a 10 oz. filet (beef??) at 250 calories! Lean beef regardless of cut runs about 67-70 calories an ounce. A 10 ounce filet would be 670-700 calories, not 250. If the rest of your calorie counts are as inaccurate, it is no wonder you are not loosing weight.

Don't just go by what someone else has entered into MFP's database. There are MANY inaccurate nutrition entries. Use an independent source and double check.

Try http://caloriecount.about.com/
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I use a HRM so I know that the exercise calories are accurate.

I dont weigh everything - most things but not everything - I think i will take my calorie allowance down by 100.

I do drink lots of water but I dont log it.

I have dieted before and lost weight really quickly so I was expecting it to happen the same but I guess since I last dieted I have done a lot of working out and using weights so maybe it is muscle and i dont want to lose that anyway.
  • racmac
    Options
    PS...re your diary, the thing that struck me was the lack of veggies!

Do you think? I thought i ate quite a lot of veggies ! I do eat quite bit fruit - banana for bfast, apple for snack and then have veg or salad for dinner
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring and weighing everything? It looks like you are just guessing on portion sizes. 10 grams of nuts? That's about 3 or 4 nuts. 10 grams of peanut butter seems very low also, a tablespoon of peanut butter is usually about double that, and most peanut butter serving sizes are 2 tablespoons. Add that with a 10 oz steak for 250 calories (seriously underestimated, actual calories are about 2 to 3 times that,) and it seems that your diary may not be that accurate.
  • racmac
    Options
    No Im not weighing everything, I have just eaten half of an 8oz steak and was going to change it - but it still comes up as 200 calories.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Someone had recently reviewed my diary and pointed out to me about the lack of veggies... and I, like you, came back with how much fruit I ate.

They said Veggies are better than fruit because they don't include that sugar intake. I agreed and will take my fruit down a bit and replace it with more veggies: potatoe, sweet potato, brocoli, cauliflour, etc. I just saw fruit as so easy to eat,,, but I do think I need to back down too.

Track your water, you may be getting less than you think.
  • racmac
    Options
    Well thank you to those that said I wasnt inputting stuff properly - I weighed my yogurt this morning and it turns out i should have been doubling the quantities and the same with the banana although the nuts were spot on!

I will be extra careful for a while and see how i get on
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have noticed when I drink 8 glasses of water every day, I see the change in weight more consistently. Remember that you are getting healthy, and losing weight is a part of that, but you are training yourself to change your life for a lifetime, not just to lose weight.

I've had one reality check during all of this---my scales broke and I didn't know it. I was losing weight very rapidly, and had to reset my weight loss. What I realized was the weight was coming off, I was losing dress sizes (5 so far), even if the scales didn't really show that. Rolls are shrinking, arms are thinning, thighs are disappearing---I haven't started a productive exercise program yet.

So stick to what you are doing. You will be excellent at this!!
  • msclarebear1980
    msclarebear1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    it seems to me as simple as going over your calories almost everyday??? try sticking to the calories or just below thats what ive tried to do anyway?x
  • kew736
    kew736 Posts: 28
    Options
    A lot of days you are in the red, meaning you overeat in the number of calories you are supposed to have.
  • LouPeters
    Options
    Hi, I also noticed you were a little light on veges, but see your pretty regular with your fruit so thats a good thing.
    One thing my food coach has warned me about is overdoing the protein. She said sometimes that can slow your weight loss down. You have a high protein count on a regular basis so maybe thats something you can look at?
    Plenty of water is the key, and the timing of when you eat. Some people's body's like lots of little meals and snacks. I was told try and eat every 2-3 hrs. Which I struggle with on a regular basis but getting there (have been losing weight for 6 months and half way there, just found MFP last week lol).
    Anyway, somethings will work for you and some wont. Dont be disheartened, its great you are researching your options and sometimes the body doesnt react the way we want. Stick with it, good luck :happy:
  • msclarebear1980
    msclarebear1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thats what i noticed 11 out of 17 days not including today were in the red, that can only mean 1 thing will happen......weight gain!! xx
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You will not gain muscle that fast. It's hard enough for men to gain muscle much less women. It can take a month for your body to adjust to the new routine.

You don't have to eat every few hours, drink tons of water, etc. And even if you are in the red you are most likely still under calories (at 110.6 I will burn 1600 on my absolutely laziest day. If you are heavier you are burning more.

Just give it some more time. You want plenty of protein. Fruit will slow weight loss down more than protein - protein is needed for your muscles - chronic cardio will do more for wasting away lean muscle mass than it will for fat burning. Yes fruit has nutrients but it also has sugar - glucose and fructose - the same kind in table sugar and the body doesn't see the difference. High insulin levels will inhibit fat burning ( if you are eating high carb every few hours - this sends glucose into the blood every few hours - the body will have to pump out insulin every few hours to take care of the excess sugar in the blood and you won't be burning fat - you'll be burning carbs all day). Drop the carbs and increase the fat. Keep your insulin levels low and the body will burn fat for fuel (not glucose).

If we were to over eat by 20 calories every day we would gain 2 pounds a year. 20 calories!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    thats what i noticed 11 out of 17 days not including today were in the red, that can only mean 1 thing will happen......weight gain!! xx
    Absolutely false. MFP includes a deficit from your TDEE in your goal calories. I can eat 300 calories over my calorie goal EVERY day and still lose weight. In order to actually gain weight I'd need to eat almost 1500 calories OVER my goal calories EVERY day.