Walking shoes

Options
Did my first 5k yesterday and apperantly I wasn't as ready as what I thought I was. I finished but wow was I tired and sore. At least now I know what it's like and will be able to work up to what I need to be able to do. One of my biggest problems is that I didin't have the right shoes. I guess my sneakers aren't for that kind of walking and won't be of any help as I try to progress and build up speed and endurance to go the distance. Any suggestions as to what brand or style of shoes to get. I don't want to spend a huge amount but I've got bad feet part from carrying around too much weight, which will change with time, but also I think I might have heel spurs as well. Which hopefully with weight loss and good shoes won't bother me as much either. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balance sneakers . . but I've also had a lot of good luck with Adidas. It's really an individual thing and I would suggest you go to a store with a large selection of athletic shoes and look in the running/walking section and try on a number of pairs until you find just the right "feel". Good luck! :smile:
  • pugloverfl
    Options
    I walk 4 miles 6-7 days a week in my Sketchers Shape-ups. Not so much because they help with my legs and rear, but because they are super comfy. All that extra padding on the soles of the shoes make it easier on your joints. Just beware that they do take some time to get used to and you should start out by walking in 15 minute intervals like they suggest until your leg muscles get used to it. Good luck!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I like Asics. I get their running shoes and use them for walking. They have fantastic heel stability.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have Meijer dept stores - ours has all Reeboks on sale buy one get one for a penny. And ALL Sears shoes are on sale
    It's shoe sale season! fa la la la la
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 miles 6-7 days a week in my Sketchers Shape-ups. Not so much because they help with my legs and rear, but because they are super comfy. All that extra padding on the soles of the shoes make it easier on your joints. Just beware that they do take some time to get used to and you should start out by walking in 15 minute intervals like they suggest until your leg muscles get used to it. Good luck!
    I agree with this 100%!! Especially about breaking them in gradually as recommended. The extra padding makes all the difference in the world!! In my opinion they are Well Worth the price!!
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    I also like New Balance. Those are my "running shoes." Of course, they are practically brand new. The shape ups are great for walking, but won't work if you are going to progress to running. I tried. Not a good idea. lol. I was doing JM 30 ds barefoot for the first three times I tried to complete it. But each time I did jumping jacks, it hurt the arch of my feet. Yesterday I started it again, wearing my new balance. It's a big difference! Feels like it is harder initially to do it because they feel heavy, compared to nothing at all. Check Kohls, they always have good deals and the coupons.:)
  • heyjude1358
    Options
    Love my New Balance... tried other brands and they just didn't do it for me.
  • heyjude1358
    Options
    I love my New Balance sneakers . . but I've also had a lot of good luck with Adidas. It's really an individual thing and I would suggest you go to a store with a large selection of athletic shoes and look in the running/walking section and try on a number of pairs until you find just the right "feel". Good luck! :smile:
    Ditto this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    While the shoes might work for you, many people can't use "toning" shoes because of their gait and wearing them can put excessive strain on their joints.
  • busymom11
    Options
    Go to a running shoe store, not one of those big box sporting goods stores. The salesperson should ask you what kind of running/ walking you do. Make sure you are wearing your old shoes when you go. Try to have already done a walk/run when you go in because your feet will be at their largest size after a work out. A good store with trained sales staff will evaluate your old shoes wear pattern, watch you walk/run in you old shoes, then pick new shoes and watch you walk/run in them. You should never, ever buy running shoes that feel like you have to "break them in". They should feel like you are slipping your feet into soft butter and feel good everywhere from the beginning, or they are not the right shoe for you.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    If you've never been, you'd really benefit from going to a specialized running store where they'll analyze your gait to see what kind of runner you are. Then try on dozens of shoes and take them for a test run until you find the pair that works for you.

Most reputable running stores will have a policy so you can return the shoes if you take them out on a 'real' run and find problems. That happened to me-I got a pair of Sauconys that felt great running in the store, but on a real run my feet started falling asleep! I ended up with Nike LunarFly 2. That surprised me because I'm not a Nike fan but they feel fantastic on my feet-just enough cushion but I can still feel the road under me.

The first pair cost me $80 but now that I have a pair I like I'm looking at shoe sales and online to get extra pairs for much less.