Courtney's Aztec Chili

Options
cookinglightwithcourtney.blogspot.com

Cocoa powder to chili helps enhance the flavors soo much, I really recommend trying it if you haven't already! Paired with dark beer, cinnamon, espresso...this chili is soo delicious!

2 Tbsp ancho chile powder
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground red pepper (or more to taste)
1 tsp. marjoram

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey (I used turkey for nutrition info)
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, diced
2 roasted poblano peppers, chopped
3 15 oz cans dark red kidney beans (or a variety of your favorite beans) - drained and rinsed
2 ears fresh corn, corn removed
2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
4 oz. tomato paste
12 oz. Guinness or your favorite dark beer
1 oz. strong espresso (optional)
S&P to taste

First you need to roast your poblano peppers. To do this, turn on your oven's broiler. Place washed, but not dried poblanos on cookie sheet. Cook for about 6-10 min, until skin is dark and blistered on both sides, turning once. Once done, place in a plastic bag for about 15-20 min. The steam will allow the peppers to finish cooking and skin is easier to remove.

Next, mix all your dry spices together in a small bowl.

In a large stock pot, preheat olive oil. Add ground beef, onions, garlic, S&P, and peppers. Cook until beef is browned and onions are translucent.

Deglaze pan with about half the beer.

Add the beans, corn, tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well. Add dried spices, then top off with remaining beer. If you like a thicker stew, you can add some corn flour (Mesa) to thicken it. If you prefer thinner chili, you can add a can of tomato sauce, more beer or beef stock.

I like to simmer this on low for hours. Also great to throw in the crockpot on your warm setting. LOVE this the next day!

Top with cheese, avocado, green onion, etc! Super delicious

Makes Approx, 12 servings

Per Serving:

Calories 218, Carbs 31, Fiber 10, Protein 15, Fat 4

WW Plus Points :5

Replies

• nixy2k
    nixy2k Posts: 8
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    Bump!! Yum!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    All my favorite ingredients (ancho, chocolate and poblanos) for great depth of flavor. A great pot of chili is definately worth the time. Hey, I have poblanos in the fridge...I feel a chili coming on! Thanks for sharing.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    All my favorite ingredients (ancho, chocolate and poblanos) for great depth of flavor. A great pot of chili is definately worth the time. Hey, I have poblanos in the fridge...I feel a chili coming on! Thanks for sharing.

I agree 100%! Waiting for all the flavors to develop and marry is definitely worth the wait in chili!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add that you do NEED to remove skins on poblano peppers, I don't think I mentioned that before. You will get a charred taste if you don't!

Also, if you don't like your chili really spicy, do not add red cayenne pepper