Too competitive?

Options
vaderandbill
vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
So, I coach my son's street hockey team (ages 4-6) and our season starts today against one of the Spring's dominant teams. After practice yesterday I hung around and did a little scouting of our opponent to see what they were going to bring to the table today.

Now, I play all of the kids regardless of ability but I ask you...is scouting a bunch of 5 year olds over the top??

Go Power Rangers!

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Just no yelling obscentities until they're 7. :laugh:
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    but I ask you...is scouting a bunch of 5 year olds over the top??

yeah, it is
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Competition is not a bad thing .. it can be a good thing. It helps some to really apply themselves and bring them out of their 'shell'. You wouldn't treat it the same for 5 yr olds as you would for older ages. It should be age appropriate.

I guess the goals of the players are different dependant upon age. The goal of a 15 yr old or a 35 yr old is .. win at all costs. The goal of a 5 yr old is to learn how to play the game, learn to work as a team member, and learn to have fun in an organized manner. If you can keep at least these basics 'in play' .. you are doing ok. At 5 yrs old .. players 'should' have equal play time.

If you are looking for bigger, better, stronger players .. are you planning on reducing the time played for the less forceful players? THAT should answer your question.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Just no yelling obscentities until they're 7. :laugh:

I am not not an overly intense coach and I don't yell AT the kids though I yell to them when they are at the opposite. I've never sworn at a kid.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Competition is not a bad thing .. it can be a good thing. It helps some to really apply themselves and bring them out of their 'shell'. You wouldn't treat it the same for 5 yr olds as you would for older ages. It should be age appropriate.

I guess the goals of the players are different dependant upon age. The goal of a 15 yr old or a 35 yr old is .. win at all costs. The goal of a 5 yr old is to learn how to play the game, learn to work as a team member, and learn to have fun in an organized manner. If you can keep at least these basics 'in play' .. you are doing ok. At 5 yrs old .. players 'should' have equal play time.

If you are looking for bigger, better, stronger players .. are you planning on reducing the time played for the less forceful players? THAT should answer your question.

Skills are taught at practice and we attempt to put them to use during games. Every kid plays his scheduled shift. Every coach wants better players but at 5 years old good players are not common.

My wife thinks I need help but I coached this team when they went 1-10 and the kids weren't happy so I try to set them up to experience some success knowing that we will lose our fair share (which leads to other teaching moments)
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options

Skills are taught at practice and we attempt to put them to use during games. Every kid plays his scheduled shift. Every coach wants better players but at 5 years old good players are not common.

My wife thinks I need help but I coached this team when they went 1-10 and the kids weren't happy so I try to set them up to experience some success knowing that we will lose our fair share (which leads to other teaching moments)

If the higher population of 5 yr olds that register to play arent' great players, my question to you then is .. When you have open registration .. Do you pick and choose from the best, who can and can not join the team, or do you take them all and treat them all the same?

There's nothing more disapointing to a 5 yr old when they are told, they are not good enough to make a team. THAT's the difference. A 5 yr old doesn't have the abilty to understand it's about winning. At that age it 's supposed to be about having fun and learning a skill.
  • vaderandbill
    Options

If the higher population of 5 yr olds that register to play arent' great players, my question to you then is .. When you have open registration .. Do you pick and choose from the best, who can and can not join the team, or do you take them all and treat them all the same?

There's nothing more disapointing to a 5 yr old when they are told, they are not good enough to make a team. THAT's the difference. A 5 yr old doesn't have the abilty to understand it's about winning. At that age it 's supposed to be about having fun and learning a skill.

It is an open draft and all kids are placed on a team and they must play in every period. Also, every kid must sit out at least once per period.

Update. The Power Rangers won 9-3. For sportsmanship we pulled our top two players back to defense when we were up 6-2.