I don't look my weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree that it has a lot to do with how one "carries" weight. Also how much muscle you have--and the density of your bones can also have an impact. Dense bones will weigh more--but are definitely a good thing. Good luck on your journey!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't think I look my weight either...I remember watched the Last 10 Pounds Boot camp and there was a woman on there...she was about 2 inches taller, measurements almost exactly the same as mine (maybe one inch difference in her overall body) but she was 20 pounds LIGHTER at the beginning of the show...and her body looked a bit chubbier than mine...

Now that is a show of how two bodies can be similar but so different.

I'm 5 feet and 140 pounds right now. I doubt anybody could tell that though. I don't look overweight. I have a bit of chub but I think it's because I have a medium frame and I have a lot of muscle so that does make me heavier. There's a lot of 5 feet women on here saying their goal is 100 or 110...well I think I'd be skin and bones if I was that weight...I think the lowest I can go and still be muscular and healthy would be 120 at the very least but perfect weight I think is around 130 or 125..
  • monetsf
    monetsf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When someone says oh wow you don't look that weight, one shouldn't be surprised. Do you really expect them to say say "yeah I can see that you look such and such weight". I personally can't look at someone and guess their weight, if I did I would work at the carnival. Its a matter of being polite and let's face it, it's not a happy topic and often times your friends don't want to be the ones to confirm with the scale is saying and thus be the messenger.

I am sorry if I am harsh, but this is why I go by the numbers, bmi and fat percentage as really you can't depend on others to tell you what science should. I also use these numbers so I don't get lulled into a false sense of thin-security and lose my motivation.

11231176.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KelJohnson
    Options
    Mandascooby - my own DR re-weighed me twice because she thought I couldn't weigh what her scale said...which is great...BUT....I know I have 40-60 lbs to lose.

I'm also on the shorter side (5'5") and weigh about 206.

Boot camp is really the only way I have lost inches and gotten leaner. I injured my ankle and am hoping to be cleared to go back soon.

Good luck to you!
    Kelly
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    I have pretty much the same stats and no one believes me either!!! I think I'm just proportionate...which I am VERY thankful for.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    When I first told my ex bf I wanted to lose 30-40 pounds, he thought it was ridiculous and that I only had like maybe 10 pounds to lose... And he has seen me naked, so he should know :P And when I first weighed in with my personal trainer , I was a rounding error away from obesity, and he even said he never would have guessed that.

That said, I do think people would lie. The same people that said I was pretty at 172 tell me how much better I look 15+ pounds lighter. Every time I hear how much better I look now, I cringe that I didn't respect myself enough to get healthy a long time ago
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I have a friend who is almost identical height/weight as you, and you do look a lot smaller than her. My guess is you carry more weight on your legs/butt, wheras she has a lot in the middle. You may be more muscular as well, and/or have a denser bone structure! Good luck with everything :)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm 2" taller than you and wore size 14 pants when I weighed 180 lb and carried nearly all of the excess on my mid and upper torso. I had NO discernible waist - none at all - but I've always had slim, shapely legs. The fat goes where it goes.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Even my doctor couldn't believe that I weight as much as I do! I think I carry it kinda well because I am really proportioned, and also I never seem to gain in my face. But, that doesn't change the # on the scale!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You look great, but I totally understand where you're coming from with the whole "no one understands how big I am..."

I look in the mirror, and I feel and look good, but I'm 5'2" and 160 on a skinny day. My coworkers tell me I'm not fat, but my doctor says that I need to lose weight if I don't want to get diabetes down the road.

I think I'm kind of like you. I carry my weight well. I have fat stored in all the right places, and while I have some lovely lady lumps, I need to shed about 30-40lbs to be a healthy weight.

To be honest, I'll probably drop this enormous amount of weight, and hardly anyone will notice. I think maybe two or three people at work will say anything, and maybe my husband, but the rest of the world won't see it or care.

I think unless you're morbidly obese, no one thinks you're fat anymore. So much of the population is overweight or obese, that we just don't see it anymore. It's "normal" even though it's unhealthy.

Even though you look fabulous, 200lbs at 5'4" is still a lot, and if you want to lose some of it, I'll be right there with you.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about your situation. I'm a little nervous about responding to this because I've had a rare gin and tonic aftera beautiful day and you've hit something I struggle with at the work place.

With my friends and family, thank you very much, we can be thoughtful, candid and honest. However, so many times when people are talking about food and weight at the work place, individuals observe that they can't believe that the "charts" say they are overweight. Look at the muscle, look at how good they look, etc. What are you supposed to say to people you only know a little bit. Usually one humbly admits that they don't look as much as the scales or the charts say and move on. Are you supposed to say, "you know you don't look as fat as I do but you really don't look as physically fit as Ms X over there." I'm not going to disturb a workplace environment with someone I don't know well to delve into fitness. My hopes, dreams and aspirations for them are the same as for me. Be as healthy as you can be given what life dishes out without regard to how you look to an almost stranger.
  • mandascooby
    Options
    When someone says oh wow you don't look that weight, one shouldn't be surprised. Do you really expect them to say say "yeah I can see that you look such and such weight". I personally can't look at someone and guess their weight, if I did I would work at the carnival. Its a matter of being polite and let's face it, it's not a happy topic and often times your friends don't want to be the ones to confirm with the scale is saying and thus be the messenger.

I am sorry if I am harsh, but this is why I go by the numbers, bmi and fat percentage as really you can't depend on others to tell you what science should. I also use these numbers so I don't get lulled into a false sense of thin-security and lose my motivation.

Not harsh at all. It actually makes perfect sense.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't think you look your weight either. I hear it also, but unfortunately I think mine is because people are thinking that I probably weigh MUCH more than I do! :(

Good luck on your journey!!!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Although I"m a (lot) older than you, our height and starting weight are very similar, as is our shape, based on the picture you posted. The good thing is we have a waist and the bad (?) thing is we have thighs. :0)

Seriously though, although when I was younger I used to dream of a weight at which my thighs wouldn't rub together, I don't think that's going to happen. I have a 5'9" niece who's extremely fit and not at all overweight, but she has the same thighs.

i've lost about 20 pounds so far (15 on MFP), and some people have definitely noticed that I've lost weight, but almost all of them are women who are working on losing weight themselves so their "eye" is quite attuned to weight loss. You may find that many people won't notice your weight loss until you start to change up your clothing to accentuate the areas that are showing the most results. But if you're like those of us with hips and thighs, don't expect pant sizes to change as quickly as dresses and tops.
  • mandascooby
    Options
    Be as healthy as you can be given what life dishes out without regard to how you look to an almost stranger.

Thanks for the great advice!
  • eastofthewillow
    eastofthewillow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here! My in-laws all work in the clothing industry (American Eagle... O'neil) They always buy me stuff in a size 4. I wish! Part of my inspiration.... all those beautiful clothes just waiting for me.
  • nina72311
    Options
    I think you carry your weight well. Congrats on losing inches! :) Keep it up! :)
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think you look your weight. you are very well proportioned.

At 5'5" and 185, with my top heavy apple shape, I looked swollen and ready to burst...it all depends on our body type.