please help so confused

Options
hi guys i am looking to put on weight i want to go from 149.8lbs to 174lbs im struggling with my calories any advice would be great thanks i only started yesterday and today was the first time in years i had a breakfast

below is today's intake.

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
Generic - Coffee Regular White, 2 cup 50 6 2 4
Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 19 0 0
Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) 105 27 0 1
Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 4 tsp 65 17 0 0
Generic - Coffee Regular White, 2 cup 50 6 2 4
total 342 75 4 9

Lunch
Hovis - Medium Soft White Bread, 2 Slice (40g) 192 36 2 7
Co-Op - Thin Sliced Honey Roast Ham, 3 slices 45 1 2 9
Vitalite - Dairy Free Spread, 7 g 35 0 4 0
Co-Op - Reduced Fat Mayonaise, 1 TBSP 45 0 4 0
Add Food Quick Tools 317 37 12 16

Dinner
Ainsley Harriot - Lentil Dahl, 66.5 g 60 10 0 4
Generic - Chicken Breast Fillet, 2 Fillet 340 0 4 76
Asda - Freshly Frozen Chopped Leaf Spinach, 80 g (3 x balls) 17 0 1 3
Knorr - Spanish Chicken Tonight, 1/4 jar 56 9 2 2
total 473 19 7 85

Snacks
Forever Lite - Vanilla & 300ml Skimmed Milk, 75 g 600 72 3 66
total 600 72 3 66

Totals 1,732 203 26 176
Your Daily Goal 2,920 402 97 110
Remaining 1,188 199 71 -66

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Replace your low fat mayo and skimmed milk for full fat. Add some more snacks in between meals with high calorie content like nuts, avocado, peanut butter.
  • WendyNS
    Options
    If you want to put on muscle, you need to feed it protein. I would suggest chicken breast and tuna become your best friends! You should have some protein with every meal. Make sure you get enough fruit and veggies to follow Canada's Food Guide, but get more protein. Even protein shakes are good.

I used to do athletics (you wouldn't know it now) but a typical day for me was:

Breakfast: Egg white scrambled eggs
    Snack: Rice cake
    Lunch: Tuna with whole wheat bread (if you can stomach it, just the tuna from a can is better) and some veggies
    Snack: Protein shake
    Supper: Chicken breast with brown rice and veggies

This was while I was working out about 1.5 - 2 hours a day doing intense weight lifting.

That's just my thoughts though, and I am not a nutritionist. I'd contact someone to talk to who knows more about this stuff and is trained in it.:happy:
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try for a higher cal breakfast for a start.

Nuts are great to eat for calories, protein, essential fatty acids and lots of other essential vitamins and minerals and aren't too bulky to eat. You could easily carry a small bag to snack on at any time.

Bananas are great too (which I noticed you had for breakfast).
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain fat or muscle? If you are taking in more calories than you consume, the excess calories will always be stored as fat. If you are trying to gain muscle, you should still try to balance your caloric intake and slightly increase the percentage of calories from protein.

The ONLY only ONLY thing that will trigger your body to build muscle is resistance training. You cannot build muscle by diet alone. You have to do the work AND give your body the right amount of fuel.

Also, try not to rely on meat products for all of your protein or you may miss out on some of the essential fatty acids. Here is a great resource on a training diet from the Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine.

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=257
  • moraymsj
    Options
    If you want to put on muscle, you need to feed it protein. I would suggest chicken breast and tuna become your best friends! You should have some protein with every meal. Make sure you get enough fruit and veggies to follow Canada's Food Guide, but get more protein. Even protein shakes are good.

I used to do athletics (you wouldn't know it now) but a typical day for me was:

Breakfast: Egg white scrambled eggs
    Snack: Rice cake
    Lunch: Tuna with whole wheat bread (if you can stomach it, just the tuna from a can is better) and some veggies
    Snack: Protein shake
    Supper: Chicken breast with brown rice and veggies

This was while I was working out about 1.5 - 2 hours a day doing intense weight lifting.

That's just my thoughts though, and I am not a nutritionist. I'd contact someone to talk to who knows more about this stuff and is trained in it.:happy:

the main problem i am having is i am on 3 protein shakes a day and that is using all my protein up so i think i need to find foods with high calories (that isnt junk food)
  • Melba_T
    Options
    Cheese, butter, nuts (whole or butter), dried fruit, bread (preferably whole wheat). Beef and pork. Whole eggs. Oils (olive, canola, etc.)

I wanted to address this, also: From the post itself, it seems like you are very together and clearly focused. But I imagine that doesn't match how you are feeling, or you wouldn't have written that you are "confused" in the subject line. What thoughts are going through your head when you say that you are confused and need help?
  • moraymsj
    Options
    Are you trying to gain fat or muscle? If you are taking in more calories than you consume, the excess calories will always be stored as fat. If you are trying to gain muscle, you should still try to balance your caloric intake and slightly increase the percentage of calories from protein.

The ONLY only ONLY thing that will trigger your body to build muscle is resistance training. You cannot build muscle by diet alone. You have to do the work AND give your body the right amount of fuel.

Also, try not to rely on meat products for all of your protein or you may miss out on some of the essential fatty acids. Here is a great resource on a training diet from the Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine.

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=257

i am trying to gain muscle i am a landscape gardener so i am on the move doing hard graft most days but i also use the wii fit and i am training with dumbbells most evenings
  • moraymsj
    Options
    Cheese, butter, nuts (whole or butter), dried fruit, bread (preferably whole wheat). Beef and pork. Whole eggs. Oils (olive, canola, etc.)

I wanted to address this, also: From the post itself, it seems like you are very together and clearly focused. But I imagine that doesn't match how you are feeling, or you wouldn't have written that you are "confused" in the subject line. What thoughts are going through your head when you say that you are confused and need help?

i just need to figure out my food intake thats why im confused