CHILDREN WITH AUTISM (COMPLETELY NON DIET RELATED!)

Options
Hi everyone...

I have a question. Does anyone have children with autism? How did you discover they had autism, what symptoms did they express and, if at school now, how do they get on/mix with children. We think our eldest, who is 3 may have autism, I am going to speak to the health visitor tomorrow.

Thank you in advance for your help/advice/support :smile:

Replies

• TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My son was diagnosed with PDD at 2 years, and 'Autism' at 2years 9 months.
    My son wasn't saying any words at 18 months, he wasn't waving, pointing, clapping. He never communicated that he wanted something, pretty much would just cry until we figured it out.
    He's been in daycare since before I had suspicions and he does very well there. I actually think that the interaction with other children has helped his progress.

Good luck. =)
    Feel free to msg me or reply on here if you have anymore questions.
  • JConstine
    Options
    My nephew has autism and I lived with him through most of his life.

Initially he was developing like any other baby but then he started to regress and wouldn't try to communicate too much. If he wanted something, instead of trying to talk, he would lead you to it or bring it to you. He started organizing his toys in strait lines or in some sort of order he could understand. He liked to play with strings more than other toys. He became frustrated if something moved out of place; for instance if I moved a chair across the room, he would fuss until I put it back. He would only eat certain foods out of certain bowls. Hmmm...I think that's all I can really remember. He was diagnosed at 2.5 years about.

He's 8 now. He doesn't talk to other children much but I think this is because he is just shy. However he's good with sharing and interacts fine with children who he has had prolonged exposure with. He gets along with his teachers and has the normal intelligence of another child his age. Just make sure your school has a special education program.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...

I have a question. Does anyone have children with autism? How did you discover they had autism, what symptoms did they express and, if at school now, how do they get on/mix with children. We think our eldest, who is 3 may have autism, I am going to speak to the health visitor tomorrow.

Hi I'm current in school (Psychology major with an emphasis in Applied Behavior Analysis) and I am current doing research with professors with children with Autism. The main symptoms are motor and communicative impairments, repetitive behaviors ad narrow interests, and lack of social skills.. Please see someone to catch it early, it's best to prevent this now. Behavior analysts implements intervention and treatment to help children with autism. I advise you go see a professional about this as soon as possible.
  • ChaseAllison
    Options
    bump
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have a son with autism that is almost 16. I work in my local school district with kiddos with autism as well.

Message me/friend me!

Some things to look for~

poor eye contact
    lack or loss of speech
    repetitive flapping or hand, flicking of fingers. My son has always paced back and forth alot when "stimming".
    obsessivly lining things up
    extremely rigid with routines
    poor social skills is a big one!
    Some kids will use you as an object to try and get things they want. Grab your hand or arm and pull it to where they want something out of reach.

I'd be more than happy to chat with you.

Oh and for my son, he was diagnosed at 2years 10 months. I had thought something was wrong for a good year before that though. Everyone kept dismissing my fears saying "oh, he's a boy". We was saying very few words, little eye contact, poor sleeper, repetitivily running back and forth and seemed to be in his own world.

I am happy to say with early intervention and lots of sppech therapy he is doing very well.

HUGS honey! Sorry for rambling.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...

Hi I'm current in school (Psychology major with an emphasis in Applied Behavior Analysis) and I am current doing research with professors with children with Autism. The main symptoms are motor and communicative impairments, repetitive behaviors ad narrow interests, and lack of social skills.. Please see someone to catch it early, it's best to prevent this now. Behavior analysts implements intervention and treatment to help children with autism. I advise you go see a professional about this as soon as possible.

I agree with seeing a professional as early as possible. *side note*~ there is no way to "prevent" this though. With early intervention they can make great progress!!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I am an Early Childhood Special Education teacher. I strongly reccomend the writings and YouTube presentations by Dr. Temple Grandin. There is also a movie about her life starring Claire Daines. Grandin has autism but is very high functioning and she seems to be able to articulate how children and adults with autism think and view the world and people. Dr. Grandin (non-verbal as a young child) is a college professor who lectures widely on autism and animal behaviorism. Austism is a newrobiological disorder that can manifest in many ways for people. The biggest three thing that are similar are:
    1. difficulty communicating with other in a socially appropriate manner,
    2. they tend to have sterotypical patterns of behavior towards inanimate objects such as lining upp cars in one way and no other and they get upset or anxious if someone tries to play with them in a different way and
    3. they often have digestive disorders or sensory issues. Some cannot stand to be touched ( sensory avoidant or sensory aversive, while others love to be hugged and need vast amount s of sensory imput so they may need " heavy work" to do. If your child is daignosed try to get early intervention as quickly as possible as that has been shown to be the best chance for long term success for children with austism. Friend me if you want. I can help you find info or ideas if you want. Leave a message so I know why you are freinding me. Don't worry, these quirky people are important to the development of computers and do detail-oriented work. Ask Temple. She preaches about the importanc e of NOT curing autism. :flowerforyou: Sharon
  • Jakedenver
    Options
    I currently work with adults with autism and other developmental disabilities. If i can say anything please start early with intervention. Ive seen many cases where an individual was babied their entire life because family and friends treated them as a disability not as a human and now they can not cope with life and are dependent on others for just about everything. No matter the diagnoses a person has, they are still a human being and deserve the same chance any one else does.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...

I agree with seeing a professional as early as possible. *side note*~ there is no way to "prevent" this though. With early intervention they can make great progress!!

Thank you for the correction! I meant start early intervention to prevent things from pretty much getting worst. As the child get older, it could be harder to help the child with different lacking abilities. Thanks I'm learning and going to graduate school for that so I'm still learning thanks :) .. But yes intervention is key :)
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your help.

Tracy, if Connor has autism, it is not as extreme as your son. He is able to communicate to a point and does let me know what he wants by pointing, taking me by the hand or bringing the object to me. Thank you for your advice and support. Have sent you a friend request, please feel free to accept. I can let you know the outcome if/when we need to see the Doctor. Once again, thank you :smile:

J, I have also sent you a friend request, please feel free to accept. Like your nephew, Connor likes things to be exact. If we go out to a supermarket, items on a shelf have to be facing the right way and in line with everything else. Also, if a sign is not straight or has fallen down, he picks it up and tries to put it back himself. I just put it down to OCD, as I do suffer with it myself and thought it was something that I may have passed onto him. Like your nephew, he doesn't really talk to other children, if he plays at nursery, he tunes everyone else out and goes into his own little world. He isn't as bad as he use to be though, if a child would come near him, he would walk off and play with something else, even if he was completely engrossed with the toy before he noticed the child.

Thank you to both of you for your advice. Before reading your comments, my husband was believing that Connor had autism more than me, but now seeing what your relations have gone through, I am definitely of the opinion that Connor will need to be checked by our Doctor.

Thank you once again :smile:
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Connor's motor skills are very impressive, way beyond children of his age but he definitely does has a lack of social skills amd communication skills. I am going to the children's centre tomorrow to take my youngest boy to a baby group so will speak to the Health Visitor and see where we go from there.

Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your advice and support. Am going to speak to the health visitor tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Hope everyone has a good week :smile:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 year old son with autism. He is high functioning, so we didn't really get a diagnosis until 3rd grade (about the time social skills become important). David has poor eye contact, doesn't understand social cues (he will stand too close to someone and not realize they don't like that), he flaps his hands or has other types of twitches that he changes up, and he is obsessed with Legos right now! My favorite is that he has no filter, so he will say whatever is on his mind! This can be funny and often embarrassing, but it makes him the cutie patootie that he is.

Please PM me and I'll give you more info on what doctors he sees, what therapies he receives, etc.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Sorry.....I missed the part where you asked how he got along with others in school. David doesn't have any "real" friends. He's in 6th grade and the other kids just think he's weird. He will call anyone who is nice to him his friend. He does much better when he's in group therapy with other kids with autism or PDD. He just doesn't act the same socially, so he isn't really fitting in right now. Because he's high functioning, he is in a mainstream classroom setting, but doesn't hang out with anyone.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    Our son has autism and goes in for testing on the 17th to determine where on the spectrum he lies. He is considered high-functioning though since he's tested at genius level... however he verbalized but can't communicate, is not potty trained (he's 4 years old), and is very anti-social with peers his own age. I knew something was "different' when he was around 2 but couldn't put my finger on it. Now we know and have decided to homeschool him until he's able to better communicate (hopefully). I would love to chat sometime, so feel free to add me as a friend and msg me anytime! :)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    lack or loss of speech
    repetitive flapping or hand, flicking of fingers

Definitely these. My sister works with autistic preschoolers (the youngest are about 2 1/2) and these are big ones. Also, watch for walking around on tippy toes.