Defecting from WW-Intro

Options
I was doing Weight Watchers and lost 20 lbs pretty easily. Shortly after the new program started, I started slacking off and putting the weight back on. A couple months ago I started following the plan rigorously and started (then completed) C25K, 30DS, and doing the Wii Active 2 workouts. I started gaining weight, but figured it was the increase in exercise and it would be temporary. Two months later I still wasn't losing weight so I decided to track calories at the same time. I had signed up for MFP months ago, but never used it. Two days after starting MFP and I was hooked. I have canceled my WW account and am just using MFP. I have already lost weight and love how it shows me my overall nutritional intake, I really need to reduce my sodium! I am not knocking WW, but for me, I am getting so much more out of MFP.

Re: friends. Do you friend people you already know (like FB) or anybody? I don't know anyone IRL doing MFP, but wasn't sure about the friending protocol.

Replies

• sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I didn't know anyone when I got here a week ago, but everyone is really friendly and supportive. Some great tips on here as well. I'm loving the food diary as well since I'm trying to increase my MUFA'a, fiber and drink lots of water (which is a big effort for me). Saw my potassium was always coming in low as well, so I'm going to ask my dr. to check my levels when I go this month. Feel free to add me.
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem with the new WW program. Glad MFP is working for you.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    You can friend whomever you'd like! However, some people stick to people they know or would like a message with a reason why you'd like to be their friend. Either way, the best thing about MFP is the networking because you truly can make friends with people that are your support pillars in this journey. Feel free to add me. :) My best suggestion is to join a group and make friends that way and go from there, though I am sure you will get several just from this post!
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That sounds so familiar to me. My husband and I did WW for two years and we were successful in the begining as well but things took a turn for the worse with the new plan. I love MFP also and we have a group of friends on here that we exercise with. Maybe we can bounce food ideas off each other. I am trying to eat as clean as I can.
    Sincerely, Jodie
    P.S. you can request me if you would like to at brookjodie
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    If you like you can add me.

Welcome and I am happy it's working for you :)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Agree. WW, when I did it, was too far removed from the nutrition and all wrapped up in counting points. That doesn't ultimately lead to a sustainable lifestyle. Just beating the points. Best of luck on here. Watch the newsfeed and friend the people you see who seem positive and supportive. Feel free to add me.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    welcome. i lost my weight with w.w. its not for everyone. the support here is great!!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I've been here since July & told people about this site but no one that I know irl has joined :frown: so all my friends are people I don't know...this is a great site & being part of the community has helped me tremendously :smile: Good luck & feel free to add me if you'd like
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So glad you found MFP or that you came back to it.

I've done WW in the past (pre-points plan) and really enjoyed it. My sister lost a ton of weight doing the Points plan and then fell off the proverbial wagon once the Points Plus plan began. Although I know others find it to work for them, I've heard many many people suggest that this plan is filled with flaws.

In the end, you have to find what works for you and stick with it. If it's MFP - great, if it's WW - great. Just find it and get it done. We all have every reason to get healthy.

My friends on here are my mainstays. I'd be lost without them. If you need another friend, by all means friend me. :)
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Friend anyone you want on here. Like the previous poster said, everyone is super friendly and supportive. In my case, and I think with most people on here, we don't know many people on MFP. I think I only really know 3 of my friends, because not everyone is trying to lose weight, and even my friends that are trying to don't want the commitment of logging calories, etc. Also previously mentioned, be sure to send a little message with, like that you're friending them because they have similar goals or because they're knowledgeable about what you need help with. I seriously couldn't lose my weight without my awesome MFP stranger-friends! Of course, feel free to add me if you want.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I tried WW too and have had more success (don't pay attention to my weight lost now!) on MFP than WW. I left after the into too! P.S. you can add anyone you choose; they just have to accept!
  • sherry_ann_mt
    sherry_ann_mt Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I here you...I have used WW and I just felt so awkward at meetings....so focused on points....and I never really lost weight. I have also tried sparkpeople...but it is very confusing site and I got really wrapped up into getting trophies and badges...and never got off the couch. I like it here. This is only day 2 but I am hooked!!! I too do not have anyone IRL that is also part of MFP....so I am making new friends....heck it can't be anymore awkward than a WW meeting. I love the news feed....my MFP friends can see my success....gives me accountability. If I am not exercising or eating right I can't hide it....

good luck...and feel free to add me!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Hi, I am so glad I found MFP, not least because its FREE, there are some great advice threads and 'lively' debates on the forums. Its great to have some friends for support, or bounce thoughts of or just to have a good old moan:laugh:

Fel free to add me, I am on everyday (in UK so may be on at different times)
  • happymommy40
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This community is great! And it is nice to now have a news feed that is not just all of my news.
  • snorman70
    Options
    Hello,

Read everyone's comments, I tried WW as well, but had little success. I have lost 30 lbs on my own, and just join MFP today. I just need someone to help me be accountable or to vent to, or just to talk to about this struggle. This has been a very long road for me. I would love to be friends with anyone who understand and help with MFP.