New to MFP and have questions!

Options
Bria14
Bria14 Posts: 10 Member
Hello! I have a question. I just started using this site and it's saying I already went over my protien for the day......I always thought I should be getting a TON of protien due to my sugar issues (not diabetic but pre diabetic due to gestational diabetes from my last pregnancy) They said eat enough protien to outweigh the carbs/sugars....was I told wrong? Any advice for a newcomer?

Replies

• RocketsGirl75
    Options
    protein is good...don't worry about going over
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This site's pre-set protein levels are very low, you will find that the vast majority of folks who eat their daily calories in full go over on their protein. Don't give it a moment of worry :)
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your body will just release the un-needed protein. Keep your fats and esp. carbs in check and watch your caloric intake. You should be right on the mark.
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    First of all...welcome!

Go to "Goals" then "Change Goals" then "Custom." There you can change the % of calories from protein to a higher percentage if you like. But if you do this, it will reduce the % of calories from somewhere else - probably fat intake.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.

Good luck!
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    welcome to the site..i wouldn't worry too much about going over on the protein..do what your dr.says is always the best option
  • Bria14
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone!!
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have a question. I just started using this site and it's saying I already went over my protien for the day......I always thought I should be getting a TON of protien due to my sugar issues (not diabetic but pre diabetic due to gestational diabetes from my last pregnancy) They said eat enough protien to outweigh the carbs/sugars....was I told wrong? Any advice for a newcomer?

Who is "they"? And no, it sounds like you were told right especially given your prediabetes. I am assuming the "they" who would take that into account would be your doctor, nurse practitioner, or whatever. You should listen to "they". Also, the intake limits that MFP has set for you have NOT taken your health issues into consideration. You should open your nutrition goals and see what percentage of your intake MFP is suggesting should come from protein. Chances are that this % will not be ideal for you. Write down what MFP has recommended, and go over it with your doctor or NP.

Cheers.

Candy

Cheers.
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you were medically told based on your specific needs ALWAYS listen to that over something standard... and like everyone else said, protein is fine to go over on... I wish I could borrow some... I hate proteins!
  • Bria14
    Options
    Hello! Thank you! I'll do that...I need more protien so that will help! And alright...I'll add you:-)
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yea, don't worry about going over in Protein. Most of us will go over due to MFP required amout being a little low! Good luck to you on your weight loss!
  • Bria14
    Options
    HA! Yes, I guess I should have been more specific about "they" huh? Yes "they" is actually my OB doctor. He has since left that office and I'm not sure if he's even around here anymore. I'm going to find a PCP as soon as I can to help with all of this. Thanks for the information!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    protein is good...don't worry about going over
    What she said...