UGH…flunked my blood test (SERIOUSLY) , NOW WHAT?

Options
UGH…flunked my blood test, NOW WHAT?

I have been on cholesterol lowering medicine for over a year ( simvastatin)
****AND AM STILL ON IT****

6 months ago, it was coming down but not enough to convince the Dr. I could go OFF it.
He said he'd give me 6 months to "prove" I could- and I began this journey of eating better, and exercising.

I've lost 32 lbs., I'm ALMOST to the "normal" range of BMI and Body Fat %
and feeling SO much better.

I have NEVER eaten this well in my LIFE.

I NEVER EVER expected my Total cholesterol to be UP 21 points............UGH..........

*****I HAVE CONTINUED TO TAKE MY CHOLESTEROL MEDICATION- THAT'S WHY I'M SO CONFUSED
WHY IT'S EVEN HIGHER ************

I was hoping for an A+ on this test, not a F- NEVER saw this coming AT ALL.
AND THE REAL KICKER OUT OF ALL THIS????
My cholesterol was NEVER this HIGH when my daily food intake consisted (shameful to admit this)
of fast food, candy bars, pop, milkshakes and donuts

ANYONE have ANY advice?

My food diary is open to scrutiny.

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a genetic issue... your doctor was right. Get back on your meds and go on with your life.
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Often high cholesterol is a membrane defect, meaning it's extremely difficult or impossible to correct with diet alone. Sometimes it's genetic, sometimes not. So.... awesome job on the weight loss and healthy lifestyle choices -- but I would just stick to the meds and try not to give yourself a hard time about it. It may NOT just be diet to blame.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Looking at a few days you are skipping meals, eating lots of sweets as snacks and taking an obscene amount of supplements. Unless your doctor told you to take all of those you should stick to a multi vitamin. Start eating 3 meals a day and 1-2 snacks a day. Stop eating all the sweets (chocolate, chips, ice cream, etc). Stick to fruits, veggies, meats (chicken, eggs, etc), some dairy and some whole grains. Make sure you are drinking lots of water.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you. Can help want our parent gave us.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know much about nutrition, but for the past week, both your fat and saturated fat are usually over. Perhaps this is part of the issue, even though you aren't eating a lot of calories? Maybe look at your food choices: avoid added condiments and butters if possible. Watch fast food, even resturaunts, as they can be misleading. And good luck!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    In fact, diet might not have a major roal to do with cholesterol. Sorry you are upset, sometime we just get the short staw of genetics but doing everything you can will really help.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's POSSIBLE that you could reduce your cholesterol by going low-carb. Blood sugar is elevated by sugars and simple starches. This triggers the secretion of insulin by the pancreas and the creation of cholesterol by the liver. When I was on Atkins my cholesterol (LDL) plummeted.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I have continued to take the medication IN ADDITION to the change in food/exercise AND added supplements

That's WHY I'm so confused over WHY IT'S NOW HIGHER.
  • ragdoll2810
    Options
    Something else you could try is eating less red meat. I am also on a cholesterol lowering medication and flunked my blood test also. My doctor wants me back in another 3 months. Suggested I try eating more fish and poultry vs. red meat.

Good luck to you!
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Many people who go on the atkins diet actually see thier closteral lower. Try to eat whole foods (fruits and veggis) with meet and stay away from refinded sugars and carbs. Stick to natural ones.

On the flip side, for some people this is a genetic issue and no matter what you weight or do, nothing will matter.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would have thought you would have had cholesterol on your list of food qualities to look at if you need to lower it, go to settings and change one of your food groups to monitor cholesterol, then you might see where your going wrong.

All those supplements tho, it just doesnt seem right that you need so many...
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Retake the test if you can. Lab results can have errors. I'm wondering if maybe the rx you're taking is the problem. Medicine doesn't always work the same for everyone either.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a genetic issue... your doctor was right. Get back on your meds and go on with your life.

Agree. What many people don't realize genetics role with nutrition. I'm sorry you got such bad news. Do what you can to get things back on track. In your situation I would recommend working closely with an R.D.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    High cholesterol and triglycerides can definitely be a genetic issue. I know by brother-in-law's are sky high and he eats well, but so are his brother's, his father's and most of his uncle's.

That said, definitely watch your consumption of foods that are high in cholesterol (red meat, eggs, fried foods, butter, etc.) and focus on eating items which will raise your good cholesterol. Speaking of which, my cholesterol went up with my last blood test, too, but my LDL went down and my HDL went way up which is what caused the overall upward number. My change was mostly attributed to my low carb lifestyle.

I assume you're already doing the fish oil thing to help raise your HDL?
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Curious as to why you take all those supplements? Did the Doctor tell you to?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Hi honey. I'm zara. I've lost 3st 9lb so far. I have been looking through your diary and you seem to be going over fat a lot. A good rule for me is 3g of fat for each 100 cals eaten per day. Think the only realistic way of doing this by the end of the day is to forward plan and most importantly cook from fresh as much as possible, so many processed things are soooo bad for you. Try to choose things that have low saturated fat, that's the most important one. I got diabetes and wasa told its inevitable coz all the women in your family have it. Guess what! Its completely gone, so keep fightin to get rid of it. Don't give up. I'd just resaearch and learn about food as much as possible. 3g fat per 100 cals and keep sat fat asa low as possible works for me. Don't give up. Good luck x
  • texascarl1
    texascarl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I might make a suggestion - fit a serving of old fashioned oatmeal + 2 or 3 tablespoons of oat bran into your day. I wait until the oats are done, and add a spoon or two of *fresh-ground flax seeds (heat messes with it's 'good stuff'). This is tasty, filling, effective and cheap. See if that'll help 'clear out the sludge', they've helped me.

*I grind mine in an old Krups coffee grinder - http://www.amazon.com/Krups-Electric-Coffee-grinder-stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1317590681&sr=1-1-catcorr

More info:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Why soooooo many supplements, are they doctor prescribed? I had an issue with cholesterol as well and was taking meds that were really making me sick ( muscle pain like you wouldn't believe). I stopped the meds and tried diet alone. Reducing calories and fat did nothing. What worked was when I reset my diary and reduced carbs whilst increasing protein. I went 40/40/ 20 of carbs/protein/fat, and I usually go under on carbs on a daily basis. My cholesterol really improved and my blood sugar showed a dramatic improvement as well. I have found controlling blood sugar through a low carb diet has finally worked for me. Good luck on your own journey:)
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Curious as to why you take all those supplements? Did the Doctor tell you to?

YES, my doctor is fully aware of what I am taking and WHY.

I CANNOT take a one-size-fits-all multi-vitamin-
    and I prefer herbals
    over RX anyday of the week-
    there aren't 5 pages of side effects from garlic and fish oil
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Once again and I've said this many times.

Dietary cholesterol has NOTHING to do with your HDL/LDL profile. Zero, zilch, squat, diddly, nada, kaput...NOTHING.

Cholesterol is more hereditary than anything.