Anyone have a good Endocrinologist / Thyroid Doctor in OC?

Options
Hi all! I have hypothyroidism / Hashimotos disease. I have been on 75 mcg Synthroid for years, and I feel miserable. I am sluggish all the time, feel tired when I wake up, and have terrible night sweats. I am only 25 years old, and I do not want to be having these problems at my age!

I currently go to an Endocrinologist who has not changed my dose of Synthroid since I started on it. He also will not prescribe Armour. I have read good things about Cytomel on MFP, but I guess my real problem is trying to find a doctor who is willing to work with me and listen to my symptoms.

So my question is: Does anyone have a good rec for an Endocrinologist / Thyroid Doctor in Orange County, CA? (preferably one that takes insurance)

Replies

• dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Endocrinologist are known as bad doctor nation wide. I am sorry that he is giving you hard time. I hope you will find someone nice and willing to work with you. I have the same problem here in Michigan :(

9401631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kaliOC
    kaliOC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know. It's definitely a hard situation when you can't get your doctor to listen to you or change things up. Thanks for your support!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm in Philly, but this was me for 10 years up until last week.

I got a new doctor. He did all the blood work and said I was fine, but I convinced him that it was at least worth it to TRY Cytomel, so he put me on a 5 mcg dose, probably just to get me off the phone. That was in addition to the 88 mcg of synthroid I was already on and T3 is 4x more powerful that T4, so I can't say if the T3 made a differece or just increasing my total hormone 20%, but wow - the last few days since I started, no more morning joint and foot pain, no more falling asleep at 10 and feeeling like death at 7:30 the next morning, and, come to think of it, no more night sweats.

So ask the doctor. Tell him or her to write you a 1 month scrip for the smalled dose of cytomel just to see if it works.

If all else fails, try this natural dessicated thyroid supplement: http://tinyurl.com/3ov6pa4
    It's not as strong as a prescription and I really don't like not knowing how much of a dose it really is, but it does work because it does contain active thyroid hormone. I had to take two in the morning and two at night and still only felt half as good as I do now, but it was still a lot better and in fact drove me to explore the issue further with the new doctor.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I sent you a Private Message OP.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Endocrinologist are known as bad doctor nation wide. I am sorry that he is giving you hard time. I hope you will find someone nice and willing to work with you. I have the same problem here in Michigan :(

9401631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I don't see how Endocrinologists are seen as bad Dr's....................I happen to have a really, really good Endo at Washington University in St Louis. He is world renowned.

It takes finding a doctor that knows that each person's levels and numbers are individual and what is a good level for you, might not be good for me.

And also find a doctor that doesn't go on lab values alone. A doctor that sees the symptoms are still there, despite what the blood test for TSH reveals, will address those symptoms.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    And also find a doctor that doesn't go on lab values alone. A doctor that sees the symptoms are still there, despite what the blood test for TSH reveals, will address those symptoms.
    Good luck with that. At least my new doc was open to it, but he made no connection on his own that my unresolved symptoms could be addressed with a little more meds.