Should I be doing more?

Options
So in addition to tracking my calories, I also am doing 30DS 5 days a week. I've been seeing some weight come off even just in the past 5 days that I've been working out. But it's only a 20 minute workout, and while I can complete the whole thing (and feel like I'm going to die lol), it's still only 20 minutes. Should I be doing more exercise?

Replies

• jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    um... well i think it depends on you. it depends on how much you wanna be able to eat, how much time you have in a day, if you're new to exercising, etc. i did 30ds every day (i rested 1 day every 10 days before changing levels) and did the c25k program 4 days a week... that being said, i had the time. you don't wanna get burnt out when you just started, ya know? but at the same time you wanna see results (which you WILL see with 30 DS so GREAT choice!!) ... maybe just add in a 20-30 min walk a few days a week or something? just pace yourself but push yourself but also dont make yourself miserable--- you wanna do something you can stick with- not something you'll do to lose 30 lbs then stop bc its too much... BEST of LUCK!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    its great that you are doing 30DS 5 days a week, and i'm glad to hear that you aren't trying to do it 7 days a week. rest is very important.

i'm a big believer in varying your work out. i'm also a big believer in taking your work out outdoors. my favorite is cycling. compared to running, on a bike you can cover more distance and go for longer, all without the stresses that running can put on your body. but if you don't have a bike, go for a hike or a long walk. and if you live in an an urban environment like myself, just pick a park 2-3 miles away and head there! bring a book and when you get there, read a little, have a banana, and then turn around and head home.

however if you don't want to go outside, try Jillian's other tapes, like her yoga and shred it with weights.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yeah time is a huge factor----I work nights full time 50+ hours a week, and then during the day I'm home all day with 2 kids. I work out during my break at work.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It's fine. If you start to see the weight loss lessen and you want to increase, do it then. But for now, stick with that until you build up to more exercise.

My first couple weeks of exercising (and this was after a 43 pound loss from a calorie deficit only) I did maybe 20 minutes of cardio. Another couple weeks, moved up to 30 minutes cardio, and now I do cardio and strength training at least an hour 5-6 times a week. You'll get there eventually, but don't worry about it this second as long as the weight is coming off.
  • ohsogoodfitness
    Options
    it's perfect. Glad you are using time wisely. sounds like you can keep building with the 20 minute workout. You can vary...each day, each month. The more you vary, the more your muscles work and change to meet the challenges. You can email me for more info.