Women Only Question!

Options
I would like to know what you take for your TOM cramps. The first 2 days I feel like Im dieing and would love to see other options then advil.

Replies

• Tahru
    Tahru Posts: 58
    Options
    well pamprin works really well...but I don't really take anything (except occasionally I cannot MOVE, so I take Asprin)
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Heating pad..on the tummy
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    Nothing. I crawl into bed immeidately after work and sleep it off. The first two days are hell. Headache, backache, cramps, so very tired.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    maybe Tylenol (arthritis strength) I take that for any ache (2)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I've found that running helps. I also use Midol if it gets too bad.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I get them like that too. I used to have to stay in bed they were so bad.

Lots of people say stay away from caffeine during this time but drinking coffee really eases my cramps. From what I head a midol is basically just caffeine and advil anyway.

Recently I've found eating a bowl of hot oatmeal has helped. A friend of mine swears that a muscle rub like bengay on her lower stomach eases them.

I've heard a lot of people say that exercise eases the aches (they make mine worse).
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't get them very bad anymore since I have had kids. Are you on the BC pill? If you aren't you may want to talk to your Dr. about it, it helped me when I had them bad. Otherwise, any of the pills for cramps are good. I use the generic and it works for me when I do need them. I mostly use them to help with the sore breasts and the mood. Oh and of course I use a heating pad too. Hope you feel better soon!!
  • zepenguinmuffin
    zepenguinmuffin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate covered almonds (antioxidents, caffiene, and protein nom nom nom) in small doses, and some good ol' tylenol PM for sleepy time
  • ShannanLaNae
    ShannanLaNae Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    heatng pad amd motrins...always does the trick...oooh and romm temp water....cold water just makes ur crapms last longer
  • Wystful
    Options
    Advil + moving... Not what anyone wants to hear, but exercise helps release endorphins to make you feel better.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Those Thermacare things? They're completely awesome. It feels SO GOOD to have heat on your belly when you're crampy.
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! The problem I have with midol is the caffenine. I am VERY sensitive to it and feel my heart racing when I take it. I try to take one advil every 6 hours till pain is gone, but this morning I had to take 2 advils together, it is a rough day.
  • repip
    repip Posts: 7
    Options
    I put ben-gay on my lower back when it gets really bad. It penetrates to relax those painful cramping muscles surrounding the uterus and really helps with some of the unnecessary muscle tension. There is also a new Motrin EXTENDED RELEASE that I love, because regular pain relievers generally last only a couple of hours for me when cramps are really bad.
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Magnesium with calcium. And Motrin/Advil. And dark chocolate. And sometimes gummy bears. But since I've started taking Magnesium regularly they haven't been over-the-top evil like they used to be.
  • HayleyAmos
    Options
    Mine got so bad pain killers wouldn't help so I had the implant. It's fantastic, no pains at all, in fact no periods! And it lasts 3 years!
  • chocoholicandbaby
    chocoholicandbaby Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine got so bad pain killers wouldn't help so I had the implant. It's fantastic, no pains at all, in fact no periods! And it lasts 3 years!

I officially hate you :tongue: I had the worst time with the implant. I had my period (super heavy) for 7 months and cramps the whole time! And I put on 15kgs in that time. Obviously not just the implant but I ended up really iron deficient so was really weak and had worst cramps which sometimes made me vomit! I would still recommend it if someone was looking at getting it or the injections though - just because the hormone is basically the same in them both and at least you can take the implant out if you arent happy whereas you're stuck with the hormones from the injections until they take it out. Also since I've had the implant taken out my periods have been great! Light, managable pain and regular - first time in my life (including when I was on the pill!)

To the OP - pain killers never worked for me so I always used a heat pack and a cup of tea! I also allow for some comfort food in my daily allowance at TOM - such as a small cake or brownie.
  • kellylou1367
    kellylou1367 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is extremely rare I got any problems when TOM but on the odd occasion I do get cramps it's only on the first day of the cycle and I find drinking a lot of water really helps, I always go over my 2ltrs to maybe about 3 ltrs but it's only for the one day and the next day they are completely gone.
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Before the hysterectomy the only thing that worked for me was Aleve.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I remember reading, when Aleve first came out, that the painkiller in Aleve has a property that causes the uterine muscles not to cramp up. The thing is, though, you have to take it early enough that the cramps don't start.

I have to second the comment about BC pills. After realizing that infertility was a problem and I adopted my kids instead, I had the doc put me on the pill (he put me on Loestrin 24--a smaller dose of estrogen). I wish I had done it a LOOOOONG time ago. It helps so much.

I agree about the heating pad...that's the only thing that worked for me. My cramps were in the lower back, though, not the abdominal area, so I put the heating pad on my back. Try some different things and see what helps you the most. If nothing helps, see your doctor. They now have new procedures they can do that help. My sister just had a uterine ablation done; just a 2-3 day recovery time and it's helped her tremendously.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If I can get myself to exercise the first day it starts, I find I have very little cramps AND it's a lot lighter. Not sure if that works for everyone but I did notice one other person said running helps too.