HRM & crazy discrepancies

Options
Well, I decided to get a HRM. Just went to Target and got this Gaiam one. I really like it! So, I so this hill routine on the ellipitcal a lot, and this is how different all the calorie counters are:
MFP-- 300 calories
machine--- 160 calories
HRM--- 215 calories

Obviously, I am going to log all my workouts using the HRM, it's just crazy to me how different they all are!

Replies

• heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    I try to cut all of my exercise time by a third when I report it on here to try and account for that until I can get a HRM.
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    I have 2 different HRM and they are crazy different also... I have a timex with a chest trap and it shows I burn around 1200 while my Polar FT40 shows 500 to 600
  • TomehToxic
    Options
    I use endomondo when i go out walking/running/jogging and i just take 100 calories off it to get a rough result :3
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the MFP numbers because it can't take into account my heart rate and how hard I'm working. One person could do the same amount of cardio time as me and burn more or less calories depending on their fitness level, how hard they worked, etc.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    agreed! it's so crazy how much of a difference they are!

I take my workout minutes X 1.2 (based on my BMR) = number of calories I subtract from total burned calories according to my HRM

also, i noticed that there were some exercises on MFP that were really close to my calorie burn (like the elliptical was only 10 calories off) while other exercises were way off. guess I was close to the 'average' on the elliptical!

but yeah, every time i work out, i do it differently. there are SO MANY factors to consider!
  • Maura5
    Maura5 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi maura!
    I'm a Maura also (obviously)! I wanted to say hi & invite you to be my pal on here. One of my MFPals is also a Maura. She is on the same wavelength as you. When she noticed my complaining about being under on my food diary but still not losing weight, she clued me in on the HRM notion. Going to go get one this week. Anyhow, good luck!
    Maura
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Question: Did your HRM or the machine calculate your weight before you started your workout? MFP goes ouff of your weight. I had a friend ask me why is it that when I workout for 30 minute on the elliptical I burn a few hundred more calories than when she does 30 minutes on the elliptical? My answer is: Because I weigh so much more, my workouts burn more calories because I'm pulling more weigh. If she would workout for 30 minutes on the elliptical while lifting 100lbs and added "elliptical - 30 minutes" and "weight lifting 100lbs - 30 minutes" then she would lose the same calories as me. The more weight I lose, the less calories I burn, So, MFP is calculating your weight + length of time = Calories burned. If your HRM or Machine didn't require your weight before you began than each machine is giving you the estimated burned calories regardless of weight!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well, I decided to get a HRM. Just went to Target and got this Gaiam one. I really like it! So, I so this hill routine on the ellipitcal a lot, and this is how different all the calorie counters are:
    MFP-- 300 calories
    machine--- 160 calories
    HRM--- 215 calories

Obviously, I am going to log all my workouts using the HRM, it's just crazy to me how different they all are!

85 calories is hardly a "crazy" difference, HRM's are also just an estimate, perhaps a more accurate estimate but still an estimate all the same.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Question: Did your HRM or the machine calculate your weight before you started your workout? MFP goes ouff of your weight. I had a friend ask me why is it that when I workout for 30 minute on the elliptical I burn a few hundred more calories than when she does 30 minutes on the elliptical? My answer is: Because I weigh so much more, my workouts burn more calories because I'm pulling more weigh. If she would workout for 30 minutes on the elliptical while lifting 100lbs and added "elliptical - 30 minutes" and "weight lifting 100lbs - 30 minutes" then she would lose the same calories as me. The more weight I lose, the less calories I burn, So, MFP is calculating your weight + length of time = Calories burned. If your HRM or Machine didn't require your weight before you began than each machine is giving you the estimated burned calories regardless of weight!

Yup, the HRM asks for age, height and weight, and you can go back and reset the weight as needed. And whenever I do cardio (unless I'm just walking), I enter age/weight onto the machine.
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well, I would say the 85 calorie difference isn't too bad at all. MFP is normally kinda good with it's estimations.