Healthier broccoli casserole?

idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
My mom and I were discussing Thanksgiving earlier today. We were talking about side dishes and how I want something different this year. Normally she makes broccoli casserole but it is so bad for you since it's made with canned soups and velveeta cheese and ritz crackers. Yes, it's awesome, but I am thinking of lightening up Thanksgiving this year. I tried finding a lighter recipe on the internet but I am having a hard time finding a recipe that isn't made with canned soups or processed cheeses. Does anyone have a casserole they can share with me? It doesn't have to be broccoli either. Maybe spinach? Thanks!

Replies

• Campbell's Healthy Request soups are so much better calorie & fat-wise. There is a cheddar variety. One of the things my son does to make me a fake leek potato soup is to cook the leeks and then puts part in the blender. He liquifies it. Then adds the rest and leaves some chunks. I swear you'd think there was potato in there because it's so thick. Maybe some leeks with broccoli? Also, fat-free evaporated canned milk can really make recipes creamier. As for cheese. I find adding a really strong cheese, like parmesan cheese, means you can add a whole lot less but still have great flavor. Ritz crackers aren't too bad calorie-wise when compared to other crackers. The carbs aren't as bad either.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Broccoli Low-calorie Casserole

Prep Time: 10 minsTotal Time: 40 minsServings: 5

Ingredients
    1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese ( 4 oz.)
    1 cup cooked long-grain rice ( your favorite)
    1/2 cup canned mushrooms ( sliced and drained)
    1/2 cup diced onions
    1/4 cup skim milk
    4 teaspoons reduced-calorie margarine
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
    vegetable oil cooking spray
    Directions
    Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium saucepan.
    For 4 min or until the cheese melts, cook over low heat.
    Stir constantly to prevent any sticking.
    Add the broccoli and cook another 2 min.
    or so until it is thoroughly heated through.
    Coat a 2 qt.
    casserole with the spray.
    Spoon the mixture in.

Bake at 350* for 30 min.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 5
    Amount Per Serving% Daily ValueCalories 234.5 Calories from Fat 3414%Amount Per Serving% Daily ValueTotal Fat 3.8g5%Saturated Fat 1.3g6%Cholesterol 4.9mg1%Sugars 2.3 gSodium 398.3mg16%Total Carbohydrate 38.6g12%Dietary Fiber 4.5g18%Sugars 2.3 g9%Protein 12.6g25%