Perhaps the weirdest MFP recipe request ever?

Options
Make-ahead meals that are easy to eat while facing the floor -- yes, I'm serious.

Hi all,

I'm going to have surgery on my eye in the next few weeks to (mostly) fix a macular hole. For recovery, I'm going to have to remain face down for about two weeks (they will put a gas bubble in my eye, and I have to maintain this position so the gas bubble stays where it needs to be -- it's complicated, but there's more info here if you really want to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrectomy).

Anyway, I have my awesome hubby who will take care of me, as well as many good friends and co-workers who have offered to help out in any way (including bringing food over). But I don't want to be completely dependent on friends for food. And hubby will still be at work some of those days (second shift), so I want something easy for me to heat up/prepare for meals or even just snacks.

It's just my hubby and me, and neither of us is a big cook. I'd like to have some meals made ahead that we can freeze single portions and then thaw for me to just pop in the microwave when needed -- getting stuff out of the freezer won't be easy for me with my head down, so he will need to put them on the bottom shelf in the refrigerator to thaw for me (seriously, it's like I have to pretend I'm much shorter than I am).
AND, these meals should be relatively easy to eat while facing the floor. Weird request, I know. What exactly that means, I don't know. But I can't see myself, say, eating soup, cereal or anything else that would too easily succumb to gravity.

And, of course, I'd like to eat healthfully, as I definitely won't be working out (and will probably be restricted on that for a while even after the "face-down" recovery is over). I'll still be up and around as much as possible. I plan to take regular walks in the house (with my head hanging down, of course ... sigh). :ohwell:

Thanks for reading my tale of woe and for any suggestions you offer up. :smile:

Replies

• pritichandran
    pritichandran Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    drinking smoothies w/ a straw? Wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    For those meals when your husband and friends aren't around, my first thought is anything you can get through a straw; Ensure, SlimFast, tomato soup, broth :smile: You wouldn't have to worry about spilling on the floor as there would be no utensils to drop food.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • anner53108
    Options
    Thanks. I thought about that, and I'm sure I will drink more than my share of smoothies, but I don't want to *only* drink smoothies ... I love them and I don't want to make myself hate them, ya know? :smile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    best I can suggest is protein smoothies and soup-- both can be had with a straw
  • ABIGgirl
    Options
    sweet potato mash, sticky rice, cottage cheese? uhh....bananas? is this helping??

Wouldn't soup just go up your nose?
  • Here_kittykitty
    Here_kittykitty Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow - wish I could think up something more creative than Lean Pockets, but that's all I've got off the top of my head. Maybe try wrapping your food in a low-carb wrap, to keep everything contained.

Best wishes to you as you recover from surgery.
  • rafor
    rafor Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Easy things would be anything you can cut up into sticks (carrot sticks, celery with peanut butter, chicken fingers), anything you can drink through a straw (smoothies, shakes, juice), anything easily eaten with a fork or in a wrap or sandwich (salads, quesadillas, ranch chicken lettuce wrap, grilled chicken panini). I think you will find that you have far more choices than you think.
  • AlynLeigh
    AlynLeigh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies and fruit should be easy. You can find bigger straws to help you out with stuff like oatmeal or non chunky reheated soups. You can also try wraps with the bottom folded in if you want some sort of sandwich.
  • fitev
    fitev Posts: 41
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your surgery. Some ideas... Make a double or triple batch or chili or lasagna and freeze that in single containers. I think any kind of casseroles would be awesome reheated in the microwave.

Hope your recovery goes well! =)
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    maybe this might help?

http://www.vitrectomy.com/?m=suggestions

mayb things that can be lift with a fork or finger foods as well because spoons wont work (gravity sux)

gogurt? fruit (banana, strawberries, berries)
    shishkabobs?

i feel the need to think of vertical foods... i will keep ya in prayers! all the best!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Many years ago (20 in fact, yikes! I'm old), I was put on strict bed rest for preterm labor. I was only allowed to shower 2 x per week, and spent the last 3 months in/out of the hospital. Hubby was active duty in the USN at the time, & being far from family, I didn't have much help. Granted, the main difference, and a significant difference indeed, was that I didn't have to remain face down! :noway:

The #1 memory I have of that time was that hubby would pack a cooler and/or thermos first thing in the morning for me. Quick pre-cooked food that can be microwaved quickly would be great for you too. Tuna, soup, fruit or fruit cups, nuts, etc.

I surely hope you come through this without a hitch. It'll seem like forever, true, but hopefully you'll find some audio books & music to keep you occupied. That was more of a challenge than the food for me personally. The boredom was difficult.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I would thing any finger food would be easier than trying to manuver utensils. Maybe shiskabobs would work too. good luck Sweetie!:flowerforyou:
  • moodymarble
    moodymarble Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How about spaghetti with salsa instead of spaghetti sauce? It's one of my personal fav's!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think that you can eat just about anything except things that go on a spoon but won't fit through a straw (like small pieces of vegetables, rice, short noodles, etc.). I would think that everything else would be fair game.

- Finger foods - yay!
    - Fresh fruit - whatever is in season, cubed would probably be easier than taking bites out of it.
    - Sandwiches (I eat several a week...2 oz. Jennie-O turkey, 2 oz. Jennie-O turkey ham or turkey salami or turkey pastrami, a little light mayo and a 7 grain deli flat or whole wheat tortilla to make a wrap...you can skip the bread and just roll the cold cuts up if you want to cut out those calories on days where your exercise isn't giving you much extra wiggle room). 225 calories with bread, 125 without.
    - Turkey burgers - just made them tonight, PM me if you want my recipe, a 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole, deli flat (or not). 338 calories for all 3, 238 without the bread.
    - Shredded wheat is great to fill you up...put it in a bowl with some low fat milk and let it sit for 15 minutes - it'll turn into a soggy mush that will be easy to eat with a spoon.
    - Packaged salads might be a little difficult to scoop up, because their pieces are rather small. If you are a salad kind o' gal, like me, buy lettuce and make your own with larger pieces of lettuce that you can pick up with your fingers instead of a fork.
    - Cottage cheese.
    - Yogurt.
    - Canned salmon or tuna, mixed with a little low fat mayo, roll it with some lettuce in a whole wheat tortilla. Scrumptuous! 360 calories
    - Be careful if you love your coffee or tea - make sure it is cooled off enough before you sip through a straw. :drinker:

The nurse in me is coming out, and I would caution you to chew *carefully* and swallow *carefully*. You don't want to choke and need the Heimlich. Also, avoid overly spicy food and other things that might cause you to cough. Got to keep that intracranial pressure from spiking. :noway:

Good luck to you - 2 weeks of looking at your feet. Not fun.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    My sister had the same surgery 2 years ago. Although keeping her head down for several weeks was a drag, she and her husband managed to get through it okay with the exception of "the big sneeze." More about that later.

All the previous suggestions are excellent, but do avoid runny soups and other saucy, drippy things--also, hot drinks and really spicy foods.. You probably know about items to rent or buy to help with sleeping and watching TV, etc.

About sneezing. Be especially careful to avoid sneezing--whether due to allergies, foods, dust, whatever. My sister sneezed hard within 24 hours of her surgery and had an eye hemorrhage. That led to more surgery, floaters and impaired vision.

Good luck and speedy recovery.
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    sushi, eggrolls - you could make your own here, um what about burritos. I think maybe foods you eat with your hands would be best.
  • brianneff
    Options
    I'd suggest maybe checking for "Healthy Choice" frozen meals at the store. They've got the most "real" ingredient list of all the frozen foods I've ever seen. Low sodium (relative to others of course) and they have a lot of them that are "stabbable" IE you could eat them upside down if need be. Some that come to mind are 4 Cheese Tortellini, Chicken Parmesan, Manicotti (sorry Italian guy here lol), Salisbury Steak, Meatloaf. They also have a steamers line with some asian flavors and things like Whiskey Steak that are delicious and still stabbable :P

Most of their meals are in the low 300 calorie range as well. All of them are delicious, and they're not over priced. I keep them on hand for when I need a "quick meal".

If you're looking to cook the food yourself, you could try the lasagna recipe I just posted: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/358149-270-calorie-6g-fat-lasagna-recipe-serves-12

I usually make a pan, eat a piece, and then box up the rest in single serve containers. Freeze most of it and leave 1 or 2 out. Just warm it back up on 50% power for about 5-7 minutes depending on your microwave wattage. Gonna have to play with the time till you get it right. And leave the lid on when you do it, but pop the seal to vent. The steam actually helps keep the noodles from drying in the micro ;)

Best of luck and swift recovery to ya :D
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned "mini-quiches". They can't be frozen, but can be made ahead of time.

Good luck.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm thinking of foods that don't require utensils...nuts, grapes, string cheese, popcorn, dried fruit, grape tomatoes
  • anner53108
    Options
    Thank you all so much! These are great suggestions! I guess I was too stressed with everything else to really think straight when it comes to the food -- the options seem so obvious now!

And thanks, GrammyWhammy, for the additional advice. I have allergies and I know the positioning could make me more congested (yay), but I will be careful to (gently) blow my nose frequently to prevent any sneezing! And, yes, we know about the equipment to help with comfort -- just checked some out on Friday.

The surgery is not scheduled yet, but it will probably be next week or the week after. I'm just thankful it's not something more serious.

Thanks, all, for your help and your well wishes! :flowerforyou: