can any girls out there help me?

Options
i started my period about 2 and a half years ago, and it wasn't horribly regular, but it was pretty predictable. this summer my weight has yo-yoed, first going down about 5 lbs, then going up about 8...and I haven't had my period since the end of july. should i go see my doctor? or is this just stress from school or weight loss and gain?

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of stress? That may be it, but to be safe you might want to consult a doctor. If you are afraid, you can go online & find a medical hotline that can help you. Good luck!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor. People here will only be speculating.
  • princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Being that this is your first "odd" period I would see your doctor. It could be nothing, it could be stress, it could be vitamins deficiency, ect
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It can be from stress, or weight changes, or anything. I would go to the doctor just to be safe though.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    It could certainly be stress, but I would still go to my Doc. You haven't had your period in a few months. I do remember when I was around 14 I had something similar happen. I went to my Doc and she said I had a lazy overy. It went a way after some time, and I have a beautiful daughter.

But just to be safe go see ur Doc.

Good luck!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I quit having a period for several months because I had gotten too thin, you should make sure you are eating enough
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i had this happen to me when i was 16, turns out i had PCOS.
    Go to your doctor.
  • SarahBeeMe
    SarahBeeMe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor. People here will only be speculating.

100% agree with this...
    But most of all don't let it worry you, just speak to the professionals. :)
  • chatter27
    chatter27 Posts: 121
    Options
    I agree, even though stress can do a lot to your body, you should definitely see a doctor to make sure everything is okay. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual for it to vary widely when you start exercising; after all, you've shocked your body by suddenly starting to exercise. But it can't hurt to at least call your doctor's office and ask. If the doctor is concerned, they'll tell you to come in. Or they can tell you how long to monitor it before coming in to be checked.

I don't know if you are sexually active or not, but a pregnancy test might be in order, too. In fact, that may be the first thing the doctor does anyway.
  • cweenie08
    cweenie08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i would go to your doctor just to be safe. i lost my period last april and have yet to get it back. if i had addressed the problem when it first popped up, things would have been a lot different. now, my hormones are all messed up and my levels may not return to normal.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor. Do it immediately. DEMAND hormone-level tests. When mine got irregular, it was the first sign of Premature Ovarian Failure. I have been, for all intensive purposes, full-scale menopausal since the ripe old age of *32*.
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to your doctor!
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    And, yes, that can happen to girls MUCH younger. I knew one who had problems of this nature in her teens. Same problem.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor.. it may be nothing, but build the relationship with your doctor. That is a very important relationship to start building!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor, it seems you have been menstruating long enough for at least a skeleton of schedule. Also are you on any birth control pills? That would maybe explain weight gain...
  • tmtolbert
    tmtolbert Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i had this happen to me. the stress of school and the weight changes could have messed with your hormone levels a little bit causing you to have an inovulatory (you didn't ovulate) cycle. this happened to me twice in 6 months. definitely make an appointment with your doctor to rule out anything else. if it is an inovulatory cycle it is easily corrected with a round of medication.