going over my protein intake!

Options
I dont know if any of you all have the same problem but I need some advice. I was under the impression that you need to eat 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean muscle in order to maintain and build muscle. According to MFP I am going over everyday, in my other app I was using there was never and allotted amount of protein. In order for me to lose do I need to stick to what MFP says???? Please and suggestions will be welcomed!

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit overall. The short answer is no, you don't need to stick to MFP's macronutrient distributions to lose weight. You can edit the %s to the numbers you'd like them to be at.
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi and yes you definitely need a ton of protein and less carbs. I read today about the lb per weight for protein today as well so thats funny to see this now. You have to set what you want on yours I believe. I havent set mine but just know to eat more. But...Im sure there is a way to do that. :smile:
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yeah the default settings on MFP is really terrible and needs to change.
    1 g per lb of weight is a pretty good minimum to shoot for.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think so. I go over on my protien every day. I think that MFP breaks it up like Daily recommended amount and I think that we need more.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I posted the same topic when I started with MFP in June.
    I think the protein goal is there for you to at least meet. I try to eat 100 grams of protein every day, and so far, that's been working out great for me. :)
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I thought I wasnt eating enough until I joined MFP and I go over everyday!!! LOL
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options

Lean bodyweight, eating protein per pound of fat does nothing.

So if your a 200 pound guy but you only have say....185 pounds of lean muscle (thats a rough estimate for the record), then you only need 185 grams, not 200+.
  • elysecea
    Options

Lean bodyweight, eating protein per pound of fat does nothing.

So if your a 200 pound guy but you only have say....185 pounds of lean muscle (thats a rough estimate for the record), then you only need 185 grams, not 200+.
    Yes that part I already know LOL.
  • bodyrokk
    bodyrokk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    when i came on here and saw it said i should only eat 69g of protein ,i thought that i did something wrong ...I know its atleast 1g per pound of lbm .
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    Change the settings on your Goals peronalise them. I don't know about anyone else but it annoys me when the defult settings go over on the protein lol not that it matters when you know you're not doing anything bad but if you have some OCD tendencies then it helps to change the settings and personalise the ratios. I set mine to 40% carb 40% protein and 20% fat that seems to be a good combo.
  • bodyrokk
    bodyrokk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanx just changed it ,that was really bothering me! lol
  • elysecea
    Options
    Ok so call me crazy but I cant seem to figure out how to change my ratio of protein and such...Help!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's: My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom
  • elysecea
    Options
    Figured it out soon after! Thanks!