Hello! :)

Options
Hi y'all, I'm new to this site and I'm on here because I just got married and I'd like to lose about 100+lbs, closer to about 200lbs, before having children. I want to be fit and active. My only problem is work, I work all the time! I have a desk job so its hard to do anything. I want to get up and move around every once in a while, but my place of work doesn't like you doing anything but work from the time you enter til the time you go home. When I get home its rush to clean the house, fix a quick dinner and then get everything ready for the next day. I guess what i'm lacking is motivation really, cause the time excuse is just an excuse, i'm sure I can make time. Its just about finding that time. So if you'll have any quick exercise tips or tips to get motivate i'd appreciate it. :)
Also, one of my big problems is dinner, I'm horrible at fixing healthy meals, I think just cause I don't know what i'm doing, and i'm afraid my husband will not like it. But to be honest both of us need this! So any meal plan ideas that aren't going to be too expensive etc would be a great! :)
I can't wait to see what the next few months will bring! :) I wish you all great success on your own journeys! :)

Replies

• candylw
    candylw Posts: 37
    Options
    you can do it and add me if you want... the more motivation u have the better.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    One of our favorite meals which we had last night is Shrimp tostadas. We use salad shrimp, cut up a bunch of cabbage into small pieces, add some cilantro and red onion. Then we put in some juice from limes. Most of it is cabbage which is really low in calories. We add a little bit of salsa to each tostada and top with the shrimp mixture. 3 tostadas is only around 250 calories. It is really yummy. We have started seasoning salads with lemon or lime juice. Sometimes a vinegar. I always make our lunches as well. We use the sandwich thins instead of loaves of bread. Good luck and I hope you enjoy MFP as much as I do!
  • ginjanija
    ginjanija Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take lunches and snacks to work. I get 2 15min breaks and 1hr lunch- walk both 15 mins and try 1/2 of your lunch walking.
  • Susan0816
    Susan0816 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm in the same vote for work except on our 15 min breaks they encourage everyone to go outside and walk around. I walk from our office to around to the from door. It's not much but every step counts. While outside take some deep breaths. Also Allow a few minutes at lunch to do the same. Even if it is for 5 minutes. For dinners I split the cooking with my husband 50/50 along with the housework. Started that 37 years ago when we got married. This give you more time for you.
    I probably shouldn't be the one offering suggestions because I want to loose between 100-150 lbs which I have gained in the last 20 years.

You can do it! Ok to add me to your friends.
  • nina72311
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I know we are supposed to get breaks but no one takes any....even lunch is usually spent at your desk, but I'm going to try this and just get our and walk on my lunch and what should be my 10 min breaks....thanks! :)
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. This is a great place to find support and inspiration. Don't try to everything at once instead start out with small steps so that you don't get over whelmed. As you have small successes you will be able to keep up with those changes and add new ones. You need to look at this as a healthy lifestyle change and don't focus so much on the scale because honestly the scale will set you up for failure.
    It's great that you see the excuses you are making and are looking to change that. Here are two sites that have exercises to do in the office. I hope this helps get a little exercise.
    http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_office_fitness_clinic/OFC_office.html
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/39287/easy_exercises_at_the_office.html?cat=50

Another exercise option is to add 15 minutes to your morning routine. I found that just 15 minutes was not over whelming and was completely doable for me. I use a mini trampoline while I watch the news in the morning for 5 min,. then I do 10 wall pushups, 10 leg lifts, 10 bridges, 10 back ward sit ups....that kind of thing

Look for opportunities to take the stairs or park farther away in the parking lot. These things do make a difference when you have as much weight as we have to lose.

As for meals - I suggest just start packing healthy lunches and go from there. Make fruits and vegetable unlimited - it is a mind trick I play with myself and it keeps me from feeling deprived. If I feel hungry I know that there is always something I can eat.

I hope all this helps...you may add me as a friend if you like.
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and please feel free to add me if you wish!! This is a great place to find motiviation and help along your journey!
  • aporter1
    aporter1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I totally understand what you are going through!!! I absolutely love to cook and have a few favorite recipes that I sat down and really spent time altering to make healthy= success!! I would definitly love to share recipe ideas with you!!! Let me know of food types or items that you love or hate and I can definitly eiter find or put some together for you!! Also, if you have a family favorite recipe you like I would not mind seeing any healthy alternatives that could be substituted in. I run everything through mfp, to get an idea of the nutritional value!!!! They have said that weight loss is 80% the food you eat and 20% exercise! Starting on your foods is a great place!!

I too have a 100lbs to lose, this week I really just focused on eating and lost 4.5lbs!!! You are going to do amazing!!! Let me know if you need a cheerleader and buddy to chat with! We got this!!!

Aporter1
  • LSmela
    LSmela Posts: 30
    Options
    Feel free to add me,:flowerforyou: I too want to lose 100+ pounds. It is difficult, but I keep on, when I fall I get back up up and start again. I have had moments when I want to just say heck with it and then I come here on MFP and I jump back on and try harder. It is an every day challenge and all we can do is keep one foot ahead of the other. Walking is great and is one of the best things to get your heart rate up to lose weight. Take little steps you won't get so discouraged that way. Linda
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I make my food separately from my family's, but we all eat together. As often as possible I use some of the same ingredients. I figured I've been altering special portions of family dishes for my picky eating daughter for the last 7 years, so I might as well do it for me too. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

Just a quick example, take spaghetti. I make the noodles for everyone, separate a portion of the sauce from a jar ( I'm no superwoman) for me in a separate bowl. I cook the hamburger (super extra lean), then measure my portion of the hamburger into my sauce bowl and add the rest of the jar to the hamburger pan for them. I nuke my bowl a bit just to warm the sauce, then measure my portion of cooked noodles and add it to my bowl. (Sometimes instead of using the hamburger, I saute' sliced fresh button mushrooms in a tiny pan on the back-burner for me and add my sauce to it when the shrooms are done.) I make garlic cheese bread for them only. Then we all get a veggie of some kind and I double up my portion of the veggie. I put grated Parmesan on the table for them, and I even use a bit of it too sometimes. Granted this is one of the easier ones to pull off, but a few quick changes here and there can make a "heavier" meal your hubby likes and a "light" one for you too. Just separate your stuff out and measure.

On the nights that they are wanting something I can in no way alter for myself I just go ahead and make something completely separate for me, but keep it quick and simple.

For excercise starting out with brisk walking for the first couple weeks is a great motivator. It helps you get moving and not get discouraged by attempting things out of your ability range. As you get stronger you can do more, slow and steady wins the race! Swimming is great too for people just starting to be more active, if you have a way to possible get to an indoor pool of course. :)

Congratulations on deciding to make time for yourself! I'm sure your hubby will be supportive and helpful!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Wishing you well. You can do this ! You have already stepped in the right direction.