I'm afraid of eating my exercise calories!

Options
I know it's a big debate on here and that's not what I want to get into. I would like to try eating my exercise calories but a little voice always says, "what's the point in exercising if you are just going to eat it back"! I'm literally afraid of eating back my exercise cals and that it will mess up everything I just worked for!

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This is a hot topic, but don't be afraid. I eat at least some of mine back and I've been steadily losing the entire time I've been on MFP (May of this year). Give it a try for awhile and see how it works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's really a personal thing but I don't eat my calories back. If I eat over my 1200 limit then I gain. BUT if I exercise A LOT, like burn over 800 calories then I will eat half of those calories
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat all mine and lose weight steady, a pound a week.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I never ate mine back until I started maintaining....but thats just me. I still don't eat them all back. To each their own.
  • Remember, MFP already has you on a daily deficit depending on your fitness goals. For example, I want to lose 1 pound a week so my calories are set at a deficit of 500 calories a day. So, if I don't eat my exercise calories, it's 500 plus whatever your exercise calories are. So, I suppose if you want to lose 2 lbs a week, you need 1000 calorie deficit a day so.......Your body will go into starvation mode if you don't eat enough too.
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...I don't see the point in exercising if your going to eat the calories back. Hey, I'm with you on this one.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you are being literal about being scared to eat cals back to get to healthy caloric intake you may want to seek out psychological help as being scared to eat is not normal
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    losing weight is about your calorie deficit. cutting out 500 will result in a loss of 1lb a week. the calorie count it tell you to eat before exercise is already between 500-1000 depending on what results you want, so by not eating your calories back your creating a larger deficit. i lowered my body fat percent by 1.5% eating all my calories back. in fact, while you work out you do burn down some muscle, so its better you eat at least some of your calories back. losing fat is good, but you dont want to lose your lean mass, otherwise your body will stop burning fat.

point of this message: EAT THE CALORIES BURNED. IT SAYS YOU EARNED "X" EXTRA FOR A REASON!!
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I usually cut into at least a portion of my exercise calories. As long as you're getting 1200-1500 calories/day, I don't think it's much to worry about.

People through around the term "starvation mode" because they've heard someone else bring it up who heard someone else bring it up, etc., but as long as you're eating enough to make you feel like you're eating enough, I don't see a problem. Also, you do what works best for you, and that's always up to trial and error, not some dude with 6-pack abs and a video on Youtube telling you what you should be doing.
  • chocoholicandbaby
    chocoholicandbaby Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know it's a big debate on here and that's not what I want to get into. I would like to try eating my exercise calories but a little voice always says, "what's the point in exercising if you are just going to eat it back"! I'm literally afraid of eating back my exercise cals and that it will mess up everything I just worked for!

Remember as well that there are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more benefits to exercise than just weight loss!!!!!!!

MFP also has built in your calorie deficit so you only need to worry about net calories. You need to fuel your body to perform at it's best. But also, listen to what your body is telling you.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am freaked out by this too! I just started to eat some of mine because I was losing really slow. I have been eating 1200 calories and only lost 1 pound in the last two weeks. I burn at least 300 calories a day, 7 days a week. I decided to start eating a little of my exercise calories back as an experiment. I may go back to eating less if this backfires on me. I am really nervous.

:)
    Diana
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat mine. For me the "point of exercise" is to eat more, to feel better, be healthier, have better body composition, and because I enjoy it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Exercise has nothing to do with losing weight. The sooner you learn this truth, the healthier you will get. Exercise is to improve your fitness, improving cardiovascular health, muscle strength, and overall well being. Weight loss is all about eating properly, and part of eating properly is eating enough to fuel your exercise. Your body needs fuel to repair itself after exercising, if you aren't eating back exercise calories, your body isn't getting the proper amounts of nutrients to repair itself, and the actual exercise becomes futile, as your body needs amino acids to repair muscle tissue that get damaged during exercise. Don't eat enough protein (which is what happens when you work out a lot without eating back your exercise calories) and your body will start breaking muscle tissue down to scavenge the amino acids it needs to repair the other tissue from exercising. So while yes, you may lose weight from that approach, it will be lean muscle weight, and not excess body fat.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about "what's the point of exercising if I'm just going to eat the calories back?" I hear you. I used to think that way, too. Now, though, I'm looking at it differently, in that if I exercise, I get to eat more! This helps me mentally a lot. If I find my set calories leave me feeling too hungry somedays, I honestly feel better if I go for a walk and then I get to eat more. And I have to admit the exercise does make me feel more energetic. Who knew? ;)
  • adventuring
    Options
    if you are being literal about being scared to eat cals back to get to healthy caloric intake you may want to seek out physiological help as being scared to eat is not normal

Alright, that's a bit unreasonable. Being scared of undoing hard work is perfectly normal. She just wants some extra reassurance. Also, I think you probably mean psychological, not physiological.

OP, it's not going to mess you up. Do it if you want. It'll be fine.
  • Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Read this and u will get the perfect answer!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you are being literal about being scared to eat cals back to get to healthy caloric intake you may want to seek out physiological help as being scared to eat is not normal

Alright, that's a bit unreasonable. Being scared of undoing hard work is perfectly normal. She just wants some extra reassurance. Also, I think you probably mean psychological, not physiological.

OP, it's not going to mess you up. Do it if you want. It'll be fine.

you are right i meant psychological, and no it is not normal to be scared to the point of undernourishment. A net of 250ish cals is obscenely low.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this 37 weeks with an obvious 37 pound loss... I eat my calories back and it is also my motivation to exercise so I can have a treat.... MFP works... Trust in it!
  • Think of this long term, are you going to want to eat such low calories for the rest of your life. Part of maintenance is working out and "increasing" the amount of food your body can have without putting you back on the weight battle. Don't worry, eat happy! :)