Picky eater- What sides go great with sausage

Options
okay, to start off, I do not like salad. I always ate sausage paired with Mac and cheese, or green beans and corn. I am trying to think of a healthier alternative. I am extremely picky, so it makes it hard. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Steamed vegetables.
  • adrianneboyd
    adrianneboyd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try some whole wheat noodles?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed potatoes!

They taste just like regular mashed potatoes, but half the taters are subbed for cauliflower. It's yummy.

I like to add sausage to white or black beans too.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Mashed potato, steamed pumpkin, steamed carrot, steamed brocolli with gravy. I eat this probably 3 to 4 times a week and it isn't diet food, it's what I grew up eating. Meat and veg rules!
  • phoofsmom57
    phoofsmom57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    slice a sweet potatoe sprinkle with parmesean cheese, then bake in foil or microwave
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I mix sausage in with red beans and serve mixed into rice. Its yummy
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    brown rice and pinto beans (not canned-too much sodium) I use my food processor to grind up spinach and add that to the beans b/c my bf is also picky, but I like to add good veggies to every meal :)
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Make paella with it.

Why sausage? So fatty...
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I stir fry a turkey kielbasa sausage, then add in a package of frozen red, yellow and green bell peppers (Bird's Eye), heat through. Then I serve rice on the side. The turkey is a healthier substitute, and the kielbasa seasonings mix well with the peppers. My picky picky 3 and 9 year old boys love it! :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    What don't you like about salad?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    okay, to start off, I do not like salad. I always ate sausage paired with Mac and cheese, or green beans and corn. I am trying to think of a healthier alternative. I am extremely picky, so it makes it hard. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cabbage
  • sexypr1ncess
    sexypr1ncess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed potatoes!

i heartily agree with t his suggestion. even if you don't like cauliflower, you should like this. it's like adding the butter to potatoes without the fat and cholesterol!
    cabbage is a good one also- cut up some green pepper and saute them then add shredded cabbage and some sugar and salt w/a little bit of water and let it all heat up. it's pretty tasty and will go well with the flavor of the sausage.
  • WhitneyFMills
    Options
    I think Salad is very bland. It's a lack of taste and also a texture thing. I don't like any salad dressing, and I have tried pretty much every kind out there.

Why sausage?? It is a treat that I LOVE, and I haven't had in about 5 months.
  • WhitneyFMills
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely have to try these ideas out!!!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Steamed vegetables.

definitely. i eat steamed veggies with almost every dinner. they're yummy and no fuss